What I did on the plot today - 2011

• 2810 Replies

millimole

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2011
« Reply #555 on: March 08, 2011, 16:38 »
Cleared a patch of the couch grass at the road end and sprinkled some random annual flower seeds in it. Cleared a lot more of the cr*p and broken glass from the previous tenant. Supervised  ::)  my good lady raking and hoeing one of the better beds, ready for carrots, parsnips and beetroot. Measured the plot, ready to make more realistic plans. The ground cover fabric has arrived.
Two plots with The Leicester Permanent Society - still learning.

Junie

« Reply #556 on: March 08, 2011, 16:49 »
Pricked out, Aubergines and Tomatillos.
Sowed Peppers Chillis, lettuce indoors, and some flowers.
Far to gusty outside - would be chasing seed packets everywhere and probably get no seeds intot he correct place.  Here's hoping for a quieter night, spent last night hoping the roof would stay on!!!

sachkrimbo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #557 on: March 08, 2011, 17:22 »
Tried overwintering chilli plants this year so repotted them.  Spent loads of time sorting and filling propogator trays with compost.  No greenhouse so then spent just as long decluttering window sills for said propogator trays.  So love this time of year.

Junie

« Reply #558 on: March 08, 2011, 17:30 »
Tried overwintering chilli plants this year so repotted them.  Spent loads of time sorting and filling propogator trays with compost.  No greenhouse so then spent just as long decluttering window sills for said propogator trays.  So love this time of year.

Mine are all lined up very prettily ( not) in front of the french doors as I have no greenhouse or windowsills as such( about 2 inches deep and the windows open inwards! Now I have run out of table space!

pottyaboutgrowing

« Reply #559 on: March 08, 2011, 18:35 »
Finally got around to getting some digging done, though still a bit on the damp side it had to be done. Will be attempting to get up there again tomorrow to do a little more. Rhubarb is coming through and chives,sage,lemon balm, oregano, and all the fruit trees and bushes all have buds on them.. and the compost heap is doing great things.. my soil is in for a real treat soon..lol
Please make yourself at home! Clean my kitchen...    A  good balanced diet is a piece of cake! In each hand.:)

nickson71

• My blog
« Reply #560 on: March 08, 2011, 19:52 »
Also did some digging still got a lot more to do....... should be able to get few more hours in over the next few days if the weather permits.

Forecast rain over night so I covered the next patch to be dug with a tarp to stop it getting to wet

Allotmentgirl

« Reply #561 on: March 08, 2011, 20:39 »
Planted my potatoes - Maris Bard - and covered them with fleece, still worried about frost but had to get on. Actually sunk the spuds quite deep and made ridges either side to lay the fleece over. I just hope there are no high winds!
Also took the risk of putting in 2 rows of early Onward peas.
The rest of the time was spent raking the ground but as its been so cold and windy its very dry and lumpy.
O yes, drank tea and chatted to the other plot holders! :D

RichardA

« Reply #562 on: March 08, 2011, 22:31 »
I grippled my espaliers (apple and pear) and caned up my fans (plums) -- all new skills for me after a long time in gardening.
R

SkipRat

« Reply #563 on: March 08, 2011, 22:48 »
Lovely sunny day today in Hull, Limed 4 Beds, repaired coldframe frames with new glass where needed. Dug over bed and incorporated rotted manure to where 1st earlies are to be planted. Set up 1st early pots on egg trays for chitting.
I used to work in a helium gas factory, but I walked out, no one talks to me like that.

stompy

« Reply #564 on: March 09, 2011, 09:13 »
Not going to the plot today due to a complete turn around in the weather.
Bright sun yesterday and cold windy rain today  :nowink:
I will be re-sowing my chillies, peppers and tomatoes at home tonight after tea in the heated propogator.
I will be using a different compost as i believe the failiure of my last lot was due to bad compost.

Chrysalis

« Reply #565 on: March 09, 2011, 13:46 »
Took delivery of a bulk bag of topsoil mixed with compost and another of organic compost, whilst waiting for the plumber to come and fix the drains  :tongue2:  OH will be busy this weekend!

Dug a flower bed so I can put in pollinating/bee-friendly stuff near the veggies.  Sowed stuff in toilet rolls (without the paper  :tongue2:) and watched toms, chillies and peppers come up in heated propagator.  Allowed hens out for a scratch around in the mossy lawn.  Still waiting for drains to be fixed..... :(

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #566 on: March 09, 2011, 14:42 »
Got the greenhouse frame up and screwed down, just the digging inside and the glazing left to do ...oh and fit the new fangled auto opener :unsure:

fredhogg

« Reply #567 on: March 09, 2011, 15:26 »
1 hours digging, very strong wind got up while i was there so packed up.Have another look manyana.

Lardman

« Reply #568 on: March 09, 2011, 17:47 »
Wasted 1/2 a raised bed by putting some shallots in. Fully expect them to be massacred by allium leaf miner again, but it just doesn't seem right no planting any  :blink:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #569 on: March 09, 2011, 18:54 »
Dug up the last of the parsnips as they are starting to grow again, and lightly forked over part of the plot, finding some of last year's Lady Christl potatoes as I did so!

Here's a pic.

(Why, I hear you ask? Well, these parsnips were all from a row of thinnings which goes to show it can be done, and the potatoes, which are in perfect condition despite being only a few inches under the surface, shows just how tough the tubers are; pity the top growth isn't as resilient and has to be protected from frost.)

If you ask me why stored spuds go soft and rot if subjected to frost but these have probably suffered days if not weeks of it underground this winter I honestly haven't a clue!  :unsure:
Parsnips 090311.JPG
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2020

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

247 Replies
Last post December 31, 2020, 15:57
by Aidy
xx
my plot today (pics)

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post January 25, 2010, 14:01
by pawsnclaws

Page created in 0.535 seconds with 38 queries.