What I did on the plot today - 2011

• 2810 Replies

TheSpartacat

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2011
« Reply #135 on: January 23, 2011, 01:16 »
Too wet to do any digging, soil sticking to boots.

*  Planted garlic, very late, but its solent wight and it says you can plant until Jan.... we'll see!!
*  Hoed between the onions.
*  Shifted about 7 wheelbarrow loads of manure onto plot before the guy at the end does his usual manure grab and takes all of it onto his plot! (There's 2 people who hog all the manure on our site it seems) The site has just had three truckloads delivered and its the first time i've managed to actually get any!!
If there's any left by tomorrow then will grab a few more barrow loads.
*  stared mournfully at the greyness of it all...
ROLL ON SPRING

The site was extremely quiet!!!

Paul Canning

• Experienced Member
« Reply #136 on: January 23, 2011, 14:25 »
right well........................ hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, me and 'er indoors had a quick gander and the main change was that the plot looked empty, as in , all the green manure we had a month ago was gone, disappeared, as good as rotted away!!!!!!

I dont know if thats a problem or not?

there was a lot of green manure (mustard) that i was going to dig in before the end of january, but it's "died" rotted after the snow???????

any ideas anyone?

A quick fork over in the spring?

Yep, going to do that anyway as nothing to lose, I just thought that the green manure would stay green if you see what I mean and not just die? I suppose though logically, it's not an evergreen so suppose the snow probably killed it off and it still rots down into the soil so should be ok.

Mazzie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #137 on: January 23, 2011, 17:17 »
I've built a very crude raised bed and filled it with top soil that some lovely person ( :mad: ) threw over their wall onto my allotment path last year.  It may be naff but i am very proud and very sore lol.

Ive also attempted to de-weed some of the many millions of weeds that seem to have taken root over winter.

Nige2Plots

« Reply #138 on: January 23, 2011, 20:07 »
Generally tidied both plots and lit a Sulphur Candle in the Greenhouse. Havested some Swede and Parsnips :)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 20:18 by Nige2Plots »

waddecar

• Experienced Member
« Reply #139 on: January 23, 2011, 20:09 »
Pruned Blueberries

Cleared about 20m of bramble filled ditch

radiohead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #140 on: January 23, 2011, 20:54 »
Dumped a load of seaweed around the fruit bushes, grubbed out the old brocolli plants and had a good tidy up.First visit for a few weeks and lo and behold...THE RHUBARB IS SPROUTING..... :D :D :D....spring cant be far off now.....On a bum note the savoys were looking a bit sorry,probably heads ok if the outer leaves are cleared away,but have to say they dont look very appetising...lucky most already used,only a few left....Pulled a few leeks which went straight from plot to pan,lovely!....only one more picking though....that and the tatty savoys and the plot is bare.......not long till the broad beans go in though :tongue2:

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #141 on: January 24, 2011, 09:21 »
weeded the garlic (already standing 6" high  :) ) and prepared the ground for my onions. Moved my carrot box and replenished the soil in it with fresh compost then weeded some pots.

I thought there wasn't going to be much to do before I got there, but left wondering how I will find time to catch up  ::)
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

Zippy

« Reply #142 on: January 24, 2011, 14:38 »
Planted a blackberry, two gooseberries and ten rasperries in a bed which form the understorey of an Apple tree. This is my mini fruit forest where I'll also be planting shade loving annuals like lettuce and Land Cress as well as some woodland wildflowers for the bees to help in pollination.

That's the theory anyway!

Springlands

« Reply #143 on: January 24, 2011, 16:32 »
Cleaned out the greenhouse after a mouse infestation - used lots of disinfectant on the staging and floor. Just got to re-clean all of the pots now. Beautiful day - sat outside the greenhouse for 10 minutes - was quite warm.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #144 on: January 25, 2011, 09:32 »
Getting towards the end of the leeks now, but plenty of parsnips left, albeit a bit cankered!

If mumofstig is viewing this, (she's previously shown interest in the multi-planting technique) the leek on the left was grown in its own planting hole, the three in the middle shared a single planting hole (and there were 2 others which had obviously been crowded out and hadn't grown at all!)

Trimmed and ready for cooking, the large one weighed 5 oz, the three smaller ones totalled 8 oz, so I guess you could say that multi-hole planting can give you 50% more per planting hole. Think I'll probably continue to do a mixture of planting this year, especially as space is at a premium.  :)
Late winter veg.JPG
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #145 on: January 25, 2011, 11:01 »
Bought three bags of all purpose compost on Saturday and tipped all over my plot and forked in a bit the soil is gray clay and clumpy so looks like more bags of compost will need going in as although it's a small plot the compost I got didn't seem to go anywhere. maybe needs a few bags of top soil too?
The best way to learn to do something is to do something.

dexyblue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #146 on: January 25, 2011, 11:07 »
Nothing  :( not been anywhere near plot for weeks due to back injury but one of my fellow plot holders rang me to say not to worry he has weeded all my beds and everything is on course with my plot.  :D
You know who you are and if you read this post once again thanks from the bottom of my heart. There are gentleman still left out there  ;)
I came I saw I grew my own veg

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #147 on: January 25, 2011, 13:25 »
Getting towards the end of the leeks now, but plenty of parsnips left, albeit a bit cankered!

If mumofstig is viewing this, (she's previously shown interest in the multi-planting technique) the leek on the left was grown in its own planting hole, the three in the middle shared a single planting hole (and there were 2 others which had obviously been crowded out and hadn't grown at all!)

Trimmed and ready for cooking, the large one weighed 5 oz, the three smaller ones totalled 8 oz, so I guess you could say that multi-hole planting can give you 50% more per planting hole. Think I'll probably continue to do a mixture of planting this year, especially as space is at a premium.  :)

Thanks for the update Jay  :)

chickchook

« Reply #148 on: January 25, 2011, 22:12 »
i went down to day as well and started diging it over again .

Totty

« Reply #149 on: January 26, 2011, 09:16 »
Finished making an L shaped bed to for fruit and planted an apple tree, Hung two hanging  baskets on the upright posts we have for peas and beans. Going back up shortly to make the doors for the communal polytunnel and put the beds in there. Be glad when spring comes and the hard work is done!! ;)

xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
What I did on the plot today 2017

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

513 Replies
Last post December 27, 2017, 20:40
by Plot 1 Problems
xx
ate my first ever strawberry from my plot today!!

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 11, 2010, 09:00
by diggerjoe

Page created in 0.48 seconds with 38 queries.