What I did on the plot today - 2011

• 2810 Replies

Dan78

• Experienced Member
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2011
« Reply #1260 on: April 29, 2011, 23:59 »
Ended up spending the day watching bits of the wedding and building a 10foot trampoline! My son(s) seem to love it!  8) Just got to build the enclosure for it tomorrow morning then will be heading to the plot!

Paul Plots

« Reply #1261 on: April 30, 2011, 00:20 »
In the greenhouse..... sorted out the tomato plants to give away to friends and family putting my own to one side.

Last year my parents gave away some of the varieties I'd wanted to grow on.  ::)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Springlands

« Reply #1262 on: April 30, 2011, 10:35 »
Yesterday I watched the wedding and then transplanted lots of seedlings. More seedlings to transplant and water today. Need some rain cos the ground is too hard to dig. Oh yes - and swept up the grass after OH had strimmed the edges of the paths.

Irene

• Experienced Member
    • Idaho Gardening
« Reply #1263 on: April 30, 2011, 14:23 »
Planted peas, more onions. Watered. A very warm wind blowing in West Cumbria today and everything is a bit thirsty. Beets are now showing...as are several other items. Taking a break then will go back to the garden.

Someone previously asked me if I had soaked by Snowball turnip seeds. I apologize for the late response but "No". I didn't even know you could or should. Mine have always done quite well just packet to ground.

Nadlen

« Reply #1264 on: April 30, 2011, 15:13 »
In back garden planted some tumbling toms in upside down planters,hope they will do well and wont get frozen ( is it safe now or still risk of frost??? ).
Planning to plant out patty pans and courgetts tonight or tomorrow ( again,is it ok? )

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1265 on: April 30, 2011, 15:39 »
are you sure you are frost free now? :unsure:
Any hint of frost and they'll be goners :ohmy:

Nadlen

« Reply #1266 on: April 30, 2011, 15:58 »
No,I'm not...thats why I'm asking.  :blink: According to my notes last year we had frost
between 1st - 3d of May.

Paul Plots

« Reply #1267 on: April 30, 2011, 16:00 »
This exceptionally warm dry spell does not necessarily mean we have seen the last of the year's frosts even down here in the sunny south or in the warmer cities. Although it looks unlikely the weather can fool us all. A sudden dip and one over-night frost could lead to great expectations being dashed.

Take care with planting out tender things unless you have either back-ups to replace them with or excellent frost protection to hand.

totalnovice

• kates allotment adventure
« Reply #1268 on: April 30, 2011, 16:05 »
today i built sand castles with my son, put up the bean canes, showed littly the onions and garlic (he was very impressed) and tried to disuade him from eating the very green and very hard tiny just set strawberries.....
I also peered very hard at the 5 rows of parsnips I should have and realised that i have only 2 or 3 seedlings. I hate parsnips  :tongue2: and they hate me. Love to eat them though. :D
Kate
Always thankful for advice!

grendel

« Reply #1269 on: April 30, 2011, 17:20 »
spent all afternoon in the garden, tomatoes were planted up nder coke bottle cloches, stuff is ready to be transplanted to the plot tomorrow.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

aqua

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1270 on: April 30, 2011, 19:43 »
water the beans . watched my husband build the compost bin.  planted my strawberry roots. no much I have a streaming cold  :tongue2:

Kimberley04

• Experienced Member
  • Very new to all this gardening lark
« Reply #1271 on: April 30, 2011, 20:37 »
Absoloutely loving going to the plot at the moment, and soaking up all the glorious weather.

Dug over a patch of clay that I've not touched so far all year, and tomorrow I'm going to introduce a bit of sand to help soften it up a bit.

Watered everything, and then came home and sowed squashes, courgettes, mange tout, sweetcorn and some indoor and outdoor cucumbers.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1272 on: April 30, 2011, 21:48 »
Tied the 2nd line of twine on the snap peas, watered the parsnip seedlings and the one raspberry and one strawberry that are struggling after transplanting earlier in the year.
Filled the water butt up from the hosepipe, have to keep it topped up form now on, incase they suddenly announce a hosepipe ban :nowink:
Tried to earth up the potatoes a bit more, but the soil is in great clumps like concrete so it's not worked very well :blink:
In the greenhouse I potted up some more seedlings and watered everything that needed it, including the cat who didn't, but she got splattered anyway..oops! :D
Put netting over the peas in the garden cos the sparrows are pecking them to pieces :(

lizzie1982

« Reply #1273 on: May 01, 2011, 10:57 »
Yesterday I went to the allotment and made 3 paths from weed membrane and bark chippings- they run down the sides of my raised pallet beds.
My sister helped me to dig a trench around my peas and beans and put bricks in the trench (2 bricks high)
We also weeded and weeded and weeded- so much mares tail on my allotment at the moment :(
All my plants got a good drenching with the hose pipe, and the kids dug a hole in an unused bed to make a wildlife pond- although they have dug in the wrong place-so i filled it in when they went home!

grendel

« Reply #1274 on: May 01, 2011, 11:50 »
popped up to the plot this morning to visit the plot shop, bought 12m of 7m wide netting (£27.60) and planted a tray of cherokee beans. watered and weeded by hand and then came home.
Grendel

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Have rotavated the plot today

Started by Peterjohn on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 10, 2008, 09:03
by shaun
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2013

Started by Paul Plots on Grow Your Own

2699 Replies
Last post December 31, 2013, 19:40
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.501 seconds with 38 queries.