• 2810 Replies

gazza975526570

• Experienced Member
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2011
« Reply #1185 on: April 23, 2011, 16:09 »
Well that was a full 6 hours at the plot

A second row of spring onions in

Transplanted two rows of little gem and lollo rosso salad

Weeded the whole plot (Three years ago that would have taken 6 weeks not 6 hours!!!)

Tidied the paths

Had some good chats with fellow plotholders, got home and enjoying a glass of beer!!!

Oh and the rain has just started so no doubt the weeds will be raising ther ugly heads any day soon!!!

sjjones

« Reply #1186 on: April 23, 2011, 19:07 »
Myself and GH took our 3 yr old nephew to our plot - he loved it !
While I got on with planting last of the chitted potatoes (picasso), GH had him collecting stones to see how high they could build the pile.  Then I asked him to help water everything (he has his own gardening equipment - very keen  :D), while GH started weeding/digging over more of the plot.
Also planted marigolds and nasturtiums.
Starting to come through are: onions & shallots, charlotte pots, sweet peas, radish.
Back at home, potted on tomatoes and calabrese, and planted up one of our hanging baskets with impatiens and fuschias.
Phew, what a busy day - time for a cuppa me thinks  :lol:
Hoping for rain now, as I can hear the thunder in the distance. Not holding my breathe though!
SarahM

MJS

• Winner - favourite sunflower photo of 2011
« Reply #1187 on: April 23, 2011, 19:31 »
Hoed, weeded, lit a bonfire and got rid of our rubbish. Took a home made cake and, once word got round,  ended up sitting with other lotty "neighbours" sharing it and a cuppa in the sunshine. It was very continental and great fun. :D

Springlands

« Reply #1188 on: April 23, 2011, 19:42 »
Started to remove the old soil from the greenhouse - have spread in the holes that the hens dig in their run. Still have more to clear and will then replace with a mixture of manure, compost and soil - just ready for my toms and cukes.

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1189 on: April 23, 2011, 20:51 »
Spent most of the day at my daughters cutting back and down bushes and Ivy.

sowed some peas and planted out the Runner beans. Earthed up the spuds with a load of soil from other area of the garden also found 4 spuds coming through by the black berry bush which must have been the remnants of some spuds I chucked away last year was a surprise to see them so transplanted them in with the other spuds.

And watered the whole garden / veg area.

Cleaned out the chucks then sat down to take in the work and plan my next step.

Bill
The best way to learn to do something is to do something.

fatcat1955

« Reply #1190 on: April 23, 2011, 21:05 »
Emptied 4 daleks, lovely stuff inside, spread it in the fruit cage. Put the roof on the fruit cage   7.5 mts x 5mts.  made it myself out of 4x2 timber and a roll of debris netting.  needed to close it today to keep the birds out now the strawberries and gooseberries are nearly ready. Dug over an area of 10mts x 4mts to prepare for the runners and french beans. Got home and slumped in the chair with a long cold beer and watched Millwall smash Preston. What a great end to the day.

snowdrops

« Reply #1191 on: April 23, 2011, 21:56 »
Too hot to go to the lottie yesterday, so when it cooled down I double dug a small new border(can definitely see where it gets it's other name from). Today went to lottie & put 1/2 of Lady Balfour spuds in. I had intended to put the rest in on the top plot but had forgotten it was covered  with black membrane & a load of slabs,bricks & some rubbish to weigh it down.So I relaid some membrane for a path near the fruit bushes followed by the slabs on top so I only had to move them once.Then I dug out some mares tail & after that it was far too hot for me so I came home. Later on after a long sit down in the shade & a visit from a friend I potted on lots & lots of tomatoes,aubergines,& some cabbages.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

grendel

« Reply #1192 on: April 23, 2011, 22:45 »
went down late to both plots, watered and weeded, paths  were hoed to remove the weeds. potatoes growing, my first beans are about 5" high now.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

SkipRat

« Reply #1193 on: April 23, 2011, 22:45 »
Dug over and rotovated small 13ft * 4ft raised bed another one to do on Mon, ready to plant MC potatoes next Friday
I used to work in a helium gas factory, but I walked out, no one talks to me like that.

tontom

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1194 on: April 23, 2011, 23:51 »
Visited our beach with my partner and youngest daughter for the afternoon ,god we are so lucky to have a beach so close, but all the time , sorry some of the time i knew i had to get to the lottie to water stuff , so if on cue the breeze picked up and a couple of shudders produced the right reaction from close parties so i managed to get down for an hour to water the stuff , ie toms and cucs in g/h spring onions in a bed, snips , carrots under cloches , all the onions (spanish i think , reds and shallots ) spring cabbages , about 8 left greyhound type , you know them pointy ones. and watered the last dozen leeks from last year. :)

Paul Plots

« Reply #1195 on: April 24, 2011, 00:48 »
Planted 30 paper-pot sown broad beans (2nd lot).
Cut the paths with the hand mower (peaceful and easy)
Hoed
Watered

A nice evening  8)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

dig4victory

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1196 on: April 24, 2011, 10:08 »
(Yesterday) we:

earthed up the container spuds
planted out 1st pea & broad bean plant sowings
re-sowed some self blanching celery (1st lot was a miserable showing)
sowed some purple sprouting broc for next year  :blush:

We literally saw the sweetcorn I sowed about 6 days ago growing in the hot sun yesterday; first thing there were 2 then by the end of the day, 11!!

Cut grass.

I was VERY hay-fevery in the night, pollen must have been quite high yesterday.

MJS

• Winner - favourite sunflower photo of 2011
« Reply #1197 on: April 24, 2011, 16:37 »
At home today, so potted on 20 sweetcorn, some tomatoes, lemon coriander, moonbeam squash, parsley. Tidied up the pots and seed trays and watered the plants well.

Irene

• Experienced Member
    • Idaho Gardening
« Reply #1198 on: April 24, 2011, 16:50 »
An absolutely wonderful day here in West Cumbria:

Weeded the main garden plot. Planted cauliflower, broccoli and cabbage in my starting experiment in the main bed. Planted radish, pak choi, white radish, spring onions and kailaan. Started more brocolli and cabbage in the greenhouse along with a few small clay pots of coriander and parsley.

Was wonderful to see my row of Snowball beets peeking through for the first time. The first hint of what's to come :)

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1199 on: April 24, 2011, 18:28 »
planted more peas from the tray to outsside and forgot the water them  :wub: things growing well.

xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
I have been to see my new plot for the first time today

Started by debih on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 18, 2008, 20:57
by Nogger
xx
Have rotavated the plot today

Started by Peterjohn on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 10, 2008, 09:03
by shaun

Page created in 0.628 seconds with 37 queries.