Couch Grass

• 18 Replies

Paul Plots

Re: Couch Grass
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2011, 10:18 »
It's hard work and you'll need determination as well as time but I'd dig it. Then keep the hoe handy for the rest of the year to weaken any couch that you miss.

Later in the year, when the soil is dry, green shoots that have been missed can be pulled or lifted gently with a fork.... keep at it.

Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

jon whitehouse

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2011, 18:15 »
I have Couch Grass and Horse Tail on my plot and ive found the only way to beat it is to dig it out. You can get on top of the couch grass by digging thats not too bad just make sure you get all of the white coloured runners out ( i enjoy pulling them up :tongue2:)

Horse tail is a bit of a sod and i dont think you can ever get rid of it and have to learn to live with it it doeant affect the veg its more cosmetic than anything else. I have reduced it dramatically from my plot from when i 1st got it 3 years ago and found digging out what i can and when i dig over a plot remove the black roots. When the Horse Tail started to show its head i hoe it or weed it out the best i can while doing the general weeding of the beds.

I know i will never get rid even if i did as most plots have it theres a good chance it would make its way back too mine.
one thing the pervious owner did thou was block pathe the top area of my plot but didnt put any weed surpressant down so its grows between the bricks.

Paul Plots

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2011, 18:38 »
Jon... just hoe, hoe, hoe! I think you'll weaken it if you don't weaken first.

I think I'd lift that block path and leave it to grow grass and weedy bits then zap it with a lawn mower....being careful to catch the clippings and compost them thoroughly.

You could use the blocks for something else on an area of ground that has stayed Mares Tail free.

Junie

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2011, 13:55 »
There is no better silence than when pulling up couch grass!

xx
couch grass

Started by harry on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post October 22, 2012, 10:44
by djbnat
xx
Couch Grass

Started by sweet nasturtium on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post June 12, 2007, 18:28
by brinylon
xx
Couch Grass

Started by Missey on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 30, 2019, 18:02
by rowlandwells
xx
getting rid of couch grass

Started by shed head on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 23, 2013, 20:47
by wil4025

Page created in 2.152 seconds with 36 queries.