leeks snow damage

• 9 Replies

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
leeks snow damage
« on: January 16, 2011, 22:36 »
We had 2 feet of snow from 27 November until a few weeks ago.  Final thawing of remaining ice today - hurrah!  However, the thaw has revealed decimation of my (tiny quantities) winter veg.

Im really gutted about my leeks - they were pretty huge and looked lovely.  Didnt even get round to trying one.  They are all now lying almost flat, and feel a bit mushy / soft.  Is there a chance they will come back or should i give up hope??

The other crops (PSB and Kale) Im going to leave after reading a post on here from last winter - I hope the good root structure will enable them to get going again, albeit somewhat crookedly  ::)

Colin of Oxford

Re: leeks snow damage
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 23:17 »
The weather here was nowhere near as bad - we had our heavy snow on 12 December but only light coverings before then.

My leeks have survived well, and the brassicas are showing signs of revival.  The picture shows them at their most depressed state.  Later they were protected by a covering of snow.  As I write I do not know the variety, but they may be hardier than yours.

If replies indicate an interest I may be able to rummage through my filing system to find out my leeks' name.

I found that a 'tunnel' of greenhouse shading fabric over wire hoops was a remarkably good protection against our minus 15C temperatures.  My theory is that the fabric collected the snow, that is a very good insulator, and the soil beneath gave up its natural warmth so that the tunnel was at a non-lethal temperature.
Frost in the Garden_007 (Small).JPG
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 23:22 by Colin of Oxford »

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 07:17 »
I think Mussleburgh are considered to be particularly hardy.  We had -11C  two nights running, and below freezing for a prolonged period, but I don't think we were anything like as cold as most of the country, but our Mussleburgh have been fine.

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 07:50 »
My leeks got flattend by the snow and have recovered nicely, leave them to it and theyll bounce back :)
If you want to be happy for a short time - get drunk.

If you want to be happy for a long time - fall in love.

If you want to be happy forever - take up gardening!

bigben

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 08:57 »
My leeks got flattend by the snow and have recovered nicely, leave them to it and theyll bounce back :)

I have had the same - I was also worried about my winter onions that looked really sorry for themselves - they have also started to recover.

Cazzy

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 09:04 »
Thats good news about the musselburgh leeks, i've not been to the plot since early Nov and just assumed my leeks would be ruined along with the swede and sprouts but maybe all will not be lost.

Going down this week to assess the damage, fingers crossed my perspex greenhouse roofs are still in tact.
What if the Hokey Cokey IS what its all about...

Cheshire Phill

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 16:29 »

I'm busy taking most of mine out, mixed varieties, Carentan, Musselburgh, Tornado and Toledo, haven't fared too well. Lying snow for several weeks, followed by very wet conditions have done for 'em really.

I don't think mine would come back, the worst ones are soggy right through, I think that they've suffered from being frozen and then thawed...

Never mind, some are still good in a soup, I've been peeling off the soggy outer layers, and most are fine a layer of so down.

Pity about my cauliflowers, Andes, Haddin and a couple of others have all failed...

Ah well, roll on the spring!!

Phill  :)

Cazzy

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 17:10 »
Went down this morning and mine seem to be fine, only just over a foot tall though so they must have been buried under the snow.

solway cropper

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 23:41 »
Although we only had a fairly light covering of snow we did have temps down to -16 on two nights and well below freezing for a month. My leeks are 'winter giant' and they are fine. Had some in a soup the other day.

gypsy

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 16:24 »
My leeks are were  >:( autumn giant and they have gone slimy with the ice and snow, just the hearts are edible.
Catherine

xx
snow/frost damage

Started by brewerboy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 11, 2010, 14:01
by Fisherman
xx
leeks and snow

Started by canwickplot on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 25, 2009, 10:55
by canwickplot
xx
More Damage!!

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 15, 2013, 13:43
by Beetroot queen
xx
Fox damage…help!!

Started by Marijke Jones on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 16, 2023, 13:22
by Marijke Jones

Page created in 0.458 seconds with 36 queries.