What to do with waterlogged clay?

• 11 Replies

ex-cavator

What to do with waterlogged clay?
« on: January 16, 2011, 18:13 »
Well, its into our second year on our two plots, and myself & son are hopeful that we can get a lot more of it working for us this year than last, but will still struggle to tackle it all, particularly as half of one plot is currently waterlogged clay (both plots are predominantly clay, but half at least has been worked more in the past and has some workable tilth on it, but the part in question is the lowest part and has probably not been worked as much. It's covered with mainly annual weeds).

Its too wet to dig now, but if last season is anything to go by, it will dry like concrete in no time come the warmer weather. But we don't want to fall foul of the Parish Council for not getting enough of it under cultivation.

What we thought was - if we covered the waterlogged part - either now or later, before the weeds start growing up again - with cardboard (my parents have an attic full of large packing boxes following a recent house move) and then plant through it with, maybe brassicas - is that a plan? Otherwise, what else could I plant in this way?

We just need to buy ourselves some time until we can maybe tackle that more difficult part of the plot a little more thoroughly next year.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: What to do with waterlogged clay?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 18:20 »
Covering with cardboard isn't a bad idea, make sure it's weighted down.  If you can access rotted manure to put underneath it, so much the better.  The best way to improve clay soils is to add organic matter by the giant bucketful.

I don't know enough about brassicas to say whether they'd be happy in the conditions you describe but it's worth a try unless someone else says Nooooooo!

The other comment I'd make, unrelated to your initial question, is to avoid rotavating the area.  In heavy clay particularly, you run the risk of creating a 'pan' - i.e. a layer of hard clay underneath where the rotavator operates.  This will cause you far more problems in the future.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 18:22 by Yorkie »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Taff the Welder

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 18:26 »
That sounds doable. Last year I lined my runner bean trench wth cardboard (I didn't get the plot until v. late) as on old sweaat told me it'd retain the moisture and composit itself in a 12 month... Turned out he was right.  
May even help to lighten the soil, if the cardboards not the printed, plasticated type....

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 18:33 »
My plot is clay soil and I make compost like a demon and dig it in and gradually the soil is getting better and better.

The old boys on my site say the rougher the organic matter the better for clay breaking and some dig in composted straw.  On the back of this I chuck everything in my compost and don't fret if it is a bit bulky when it goes on.  I just grow stuff that can cope on that bit of ground for the first year and rotate round the plot so the root crops get the finer ground where the compost has fully rotted in  :)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 20:20 »
I'm on clay too. I have made lazy raised beds. The beds are 4' wide max (and as long as you like) and the paths 18" wide. I dug the soil out of the paths one spit deep, and put it on the beds.  They are only raised by a bit, but the lower paths mean that the water accumulated in the paths, and will find its way from there (dig some trenches to help it if your site is really bad).

Never - as in NEVER !! - walk on the beds as it compacts them (I ruse a little Mantis tiller on the beds, so I have to walk on them a bit for that, but I don't walk on them after that). Add compost / manure to the beds as normal.

Digging the clay in the Autumn so that the frost can get to it will help break it down too.

binner

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 20:25 »
how about just digging a single planting hole through the card for each plant? fill each hole with a mix of good soil/compost/rotted manure? that way you dont have to worry about getting it all dug over in one go
first year grower

binner

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 20:27 »
and as above, manure manure manure :lol: this coming spring will be my third year on a brand new plot sat on clay with between 6in and a foot of soil on top and i managed corking snips and carrots last year

ex-cavator

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 23:49 »
how about just digging a single planting hole through the card for each plant? fill each hole with a mix of good soil/compost/rotted manure? that way you dont have to worry about getting it all dug over in one go

That's what I was thinking - but are brassicas going to be suited to these conditions? I know they like firm ground - this part won't have been dug apart from the holes I put them in - but it's just a case of growing something on it for this year & keeping the PC happy. Somebody said I could do the same with sweetcorn?

Thanks, also, for the other replies so far. Seems like my main mission has got to be to find a mountain of compost  :blush:

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 07:19 »
Seems like my main mission has got to be to find a mountain of compost 

Farmer's trailer of manure, or a bulk load of mushroom compost, would give you a flying start. Unless the farmer / horse-owner happens to have a well rotted pile at least a year old then you would have to "heap" that for a year before use.  Mushroom compost likely to contain lime, but as a one off its probably not going to make much difference, even if you pH is already alkaline.

bigben

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 10:43 »
Last year I ran out of time for digging before my squash and pumpkins needed to go in so I hacked down the weeds, including brambles, covered the area (5x4meters) with weed fabric and planted thru it. It worked a treat, I just cut Xs and using a trowel and bulb planter dug out a hole and filled it with compost/ horse poo then planted my little squash plants. They did fairly well and it meant a big area got used that I had not time to dig. This year I have dug it but am repeating the trick with the last bit of my allotment left undug.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 16:58 »

A possible difficulty I foresee with this, is that there will be inadequate drainage from the planting hole so the plant could become waterlogged.  Make sure you break up the areas around the hole first, so that water can do its best to drain away.

r1bazza

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 15:40 »
 We have claggy clay soil and Btassicas seem fine(had Excellent Kohl Rabi last year and some good Broccoli before);we have added a lot of council compost to good effect.
Once upon a time I could control myself

xx
Is it clay? (plus clay test results)

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post March 13, 2011, 07:52
by Fisherman
xx
We're waterlogged!

Started by Jeanieblue on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 26, 2008, 03:26
by Jeanieblue
xx
waterlogged?

Started by Gravedigger on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 19, 2011, 14:50
by hamstergbert
xx
i need help with clay...heavy clay

Started by cindieloo on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 11, 2008, 09:58
by woodburner

Page created in 0.689 seconds with 37 queries.