what to grow

• 3 Replies

POOTLE72

what to grow
« on: January 16, 2011, 15:15 »
currently I am trying to clear my allotment and have so far taken out bags of glass and rubbish, it is slow work but still the council dont understand that it wont be done overnight. what can I grow easily to placate the councils 75% cultivation rule so I can concentrate on getting a couple of beds up to scratch. Big grouncover with little digging would be ideal.

thanks

AndyRVTR

Re: what to grow
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 15:34 »
I think tbh if you are looking for groundcover that in itself implies thet the ground will need to be dug before you can even start thinking about planting... if it were me, I would dig over roughly and plant spuds  :D
Not only will they give good ground cover but will also help break down your soil...
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 18:49 by AndyRVTR »

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 15:34 »
I think an invite to an allotments officer is called for to show just what a state your allotment is in.  As I believe by your communication you have only just taken over this plot, it is too late to insist the council make the allotment 'fit for purpose' and by you clearing all the rubbish, you are actually saving them money!

I think with a 'heart to heart' chat with the relevant authority they will not insist you stick to this rule in the first few years.  Best wishes,   Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 17:30 »
My original plot was not great when I took it over so I concentrated on clearing one end. 

Meanwhile I cleared small planting areas in the wilderness end and covered it in black plastic.  I grew potatoes and other big stuff like squash and courgettes through the plastic and pulled out the tops of the weeds that snuck through where I had cut planting slits and holes.  You won't get a mega crop if the soil is really rough but you'll get something and the plot will look OK  :)

clip
To grow or not to grow, that is the question

Started by Blackpool rocket on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 09, 2018, 20:54
by Pescador
xx
melons... to grow on or not to grow on

Started by lazza on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 12, 2012, 13:32
by JayG
xx
beef toms in greenhouse. Grow bags v pots or pots in grow bags???

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 07, 2020, 08:49
by mumofstig
xx
What to grow next ?

Started by pumpkinpatch on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 12, 2009, 16:30
by pumpkinpatch

Page created in 0.345 seconds with 37 queries.