chicken compatability

• 7 Replies

milne899

chicken compatability
« on: January 15, 2011, 21:39 »
After several months of looking for a good chicken house I have finally purchased a very well made coop designed for at least 12 large birds. The house came with four point of lay cochins, not my ideal choice but I fell in love with them at first sight and I completly trusted the sellers. My girls are very content but I would like to get four more hens to add to my flock. It is important to me to choose something of a similar temperament, any ideas please.The house has been beautifully well made  8 foot by 4 foot and 5 foot high with 5 external nest boxes. COMPLETE NOVICE BUT LEARNING FAST. Thankyou.

compostqueen

Re: chicken compatability
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 21:59 »
Have a word with the seller. If it's a long time since you got them it might not be that easy to merge two flocks and you might be better off sticking with what you've got

I don't know that much though but someone here will certainly know  :)

Jeanette

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 11:24 »
If you do get some more try to get them about the same age and size. When you get them keep them apart for a couple of weeks quarantine incase they have any illness that they can pass on to your other girls. Keep them so that they can see each other but not to close , then after a while move them closer together. When you do put them together there will be some quarrels have some purple spray (gentian violet) to cover up any redness or dare i say blood. Have plenty of feeding and water stations doted around so the new ones can get to food. Also have plenty of places that they can get into for cover buckets on its side is ideal for this.
Hope this has'nt put you off.

bantam novice

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 17:00 »
Hello Milne899 and welcome to the wacky world of henaholics  :)

Most people find they want to increase their flock after starting with a few and it sounds as if you have plenty of room.

Compost Queen and Jeanette make some good suggestions, particularly about quarentine.  It is heartbreaking to see your hens fall ill and can be fatal to your flock.

Good luck and keep us posted  :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

bluemaran

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 18:04 »
Hi milne899,where did you get the house from,it sounds good.The size seems really practical.

Casey76

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 18:37 »
Orpingtons or Brahmas are of a similar size and temprement (big softies :) ), though none of these breeds, including cochins, are known to be prolific egg layers (and the eggs tend to be small in comparison to the size of the hen.)

For general egg laying, you could get some hybrids; BlackRocks are a very hardy, prolific layer, and they tend not to be too boisterous, though they wil be somewhat smaller than your cochins!

I completely endorse the other points, and that any new hens brought in should be quarantined for at least two weeks in a separate house and run, before putting them with your current girls.

Good luck!

milne899

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 20:33 »
Thankyou all for the good advice, I will bodge up some sort of temporary housing in one of my greenhouses to put any newcomers in for a few weeks quarentine. I must say I do fancy Orpingtons Bramas and Blackrocks. I am on the  Isle of Wight and all the adds that interest me are on the mainland. I must be patient and I am sure something will turn up closer to home.  The local adds did have three jersey giants plus a cockerel but I dare not have a cockerel or I might upset my new neighbours. Thanks everyone. Jan.

hillfooter

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 10:01 »
Cochins are very big birds so it would be a good idea to get similar sized ones.  I'd suggest that you stick with pure breeds now you have them but get some good layers as Cochins aren't the best and neither are Orps which lay small eggs and not many.  Hybrids would look scrawny next to cochins and detract from the flocks looks I think.

The best egg laying pure breed which is also on the big side are Sussex.  Light Sussex are readily available but depending on your Cochins you might want a different colour and my favourite are Buff Sussex.  Sussex are extremely well behaved birds easy going and would be an ideal match for Cochins.  They are also great free rangers and being a native breed suit our conditions well.  Make sure if you get them to ask about their laying performance as not all strains are great (ones bred for showing might not be any better than your cochins.  This goes for all pure breeds too).  Good ones will lay 240 ish eggs a year.

Light and Buff Sussex pullets

Speckled Sussex are also beautiful birds but more difficult to find and expensive as they are well sought after.  Egg laying is a bit more iffy though as many are reared for showing.

Another commonly available heavier breed are Rhode Island Reds also good layers.  Others to consider would be Plymouth Rock, and Barnevelders (nice dark brown egg layers).  A good strain of Maran also lays a dark brown egg and is on the heavy side but I find it almost impossible to get a decent strain as there are so many poor small ones about.

Barnevelders (dark ones in fore ground) with Vorwerks (slenderer elegant birds) in the back

HF
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 10:14 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

xx
New Chicken ~Owner with Chicken Emergency

Started by Jae Dawn on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 23:22
by Thingy
xx
How do I know the age of a chicken?

Started by Neelam on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 28, 2013, 10:49
by Sassy
xx
chicken run

Started by jimroden on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 03, 2008, 08:52
by jimroden
xx
chicken poo

Started by ceri green on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 20, 2008, 19:48
by azubah

Page created in 0.584 seconds with 37 queries.