battery caged chickens

• 17 Replies

rowlandwells

battery caged chickens
« on: January 14, 2011, 18:01 »
does anyone know when it becomes law not to keep chickens in cages [battery caged chickens] for egg production  :mad:

the sooner the better for me to end this practice i know  some farmers where i live have applied for permission to keep free range poultry there's no better site than  to see chickens running freely in fields  :D :D

Kate and her Ducks

Re: battery caged chickens
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 18:46 »
"Battery" hens will be banned from 2012 however they will be replaced by chickens in "enriched" cages. These are slightly larger and have the facility for them to dust bath and perch. This is barely better and really is a minimal step in the right direction.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 19:02 »
They're no too impressive :(

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 19:07 »
I thought it was supposed to be the whole of the EU that had to change to them and not just us Tomshooter.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 19:08 »
It's a lose lose situation for the chickens, regardless of how they are farmed. Original or enriched cages, both are a living misery for them. Free range is moderately better, even though they don't have much grass or dirt to scratch about in, at least they can wander about.
The only way to know for sure you're getting chicken friendly eggs is to have chickens at home or buy from local farms.
To see my ex-batts flourish into the beautiful, happy girls they are, have made it certain in my mind that I'll NEVER buy shop bought eggs again, even if I have to go without xx
Many pets, a bloke and 2 kids....help!!!

CluckyChicken

• Experienced Member
    • Georgina's Araucanas
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 19:16 »
I thought it was supposed to be the whole of the EU that had to change to them and not just us Tomshooter.
I'm not sure Joy, I thought it was just England because people are worried that if eggs become a lot more expensive they will be imported for other countries in the EU, and just leave our eggs to be wasted  >:(
Lavender Araucanas, SS Hamburgs, White Wyandottes and Italian Quail

joyfull

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 19:20 »
Germany are going further and banning enriched cages as well  :)

joyfull

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 19:27 »
just had a look on the Defra site and it states that the enriched cages is for the whole of the EU:-

The Directive required the EU Commission to prepare a report by 2005 on the various systems that exist for keeping laying hens, including their health and environmental impact.  The Government has welcomed the publication of this long-awaited report, which was published on 8 January 2008.  A copy of the report can be downloaded from the EU’s website. The report recommends that there is no need to prepare any proposals to amend the existing Directive and recommends that the 2012 deadline for ending the use of conventional cages across the EU should remain. The Government welcomes this recommendation as we remain committed to the 2012 deadline.

taken from this website:-
http://www.defra.gov.uk/foodfarm/farmanimal/welfare/onfarm/layers.htm

« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 19:28 by joyfull »

CluckyChicken

• Experienced Member
    • Georgina's Araucanas
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 19:57 »
wow I didn't know that.  Thanks Joy, you learn something new every day!  :lol:

joyfull

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 20:05 »
I do remember though that there was some uproar from some countries saying that they wouldn't be able to afford the change (think Poland were one) but can't remember the outcome of this.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 20:07 »
They're bound to say that ..............so that they can get more money from the EU  ::)

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011, 20:35 »
You're right, joyfull, it was the Polish who were trying to get it delayed for a further 5 years - but they were overruled!!! Yey!

CluckyChicken

• Experienced Member
    • Georgina's Araucanas
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2011, 20:39 »
You're right, joyfull, it was the Polish who were trying to get it delayed for a further 5 years - but they were overruled!!! Yey!

and in 5 years time just for another five years...

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2011, 11:00 »
I've just opened the New Year update e-newsletter from CWF and in the section re the barren battery cage ban they state:

"Compassion was delighted to learn that the vast majority of MEPs strongly support the barren battery cage ban, which is due to come into force on 1 January 2012. But MEPs are concerned that a “substantial number” of Member States and 30% of EU egg production may not be compliant with the ban by the 1 January 2012 deadline.

Compassion in World Farming is campaigning vigorously across Europe to ensure the ban comes into force on time and in full. If you’ve not already done so, please help us by urging Caroline Spelman, UK Secretary of State for the Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, to Defend the Big Move!"

rowlandwells

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 19:42 »
i think the point regarding imported eggs from Europe  is a valid point but properly labeled eggs from the country of origin will be the choice for the consumer :)

i know there will always be those people who shop for the cheapest rather  than quality that goes for any product like buying free range chicken or barn chicken I've found there are quite a lot of people in our village prefer free range eggs as there are several large free range egg producers that sell both to the general public and the supermarkets :mellow:

i am definitely against any form of battery cages and i am pleased our Mep's are backing this as for the rest of the EU members not wishing to comply well that's the EU no backbone to enforce the laws they make to some  EU member or is it just in England that complies with the EU rules   :mad:

i just hope this government enforces the proper labeling for these foreign egg imports and
well done to the compassion in world farming for there continued campaigning on this dreadful misery of battery caged chickens for the purpose of profit without any compassion i can't Waite to see these battery chicken producers go out of business  >:(

xx
public dont want caged chickens eggs

Started by chickychick on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post January 09, 2008, 17:06
by John
xx
where can i get some ex battery chickens from ?

Started by robbiechick on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 24, 2009, 17:36
by bunch29
xx
Ex Battery chickens

Started by solo-bell on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 03, 2007, 16:46
by GrannieAnnie
xx
car battery

Started by Thompson24 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 09, 2009, 08:46
by poultrygeist

Page created in 0.765 seconds with 38 queries.