chlorine

• 16 Replies

bluemaran

chlorine
« on: January 13, 2011, 18:51 »
Does the chemical chlorine used in our water supply harm the chickens who drink it. Is it ok to use water with addatives if you believe in organic(chemically unmodified) feed only,or is it accepted to unpure water.Would bottled water be the correct choice if  used to compliment the organic feed.Then you could say your chucks were chemical free

jinty1911

Re: chlorine
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 20:53 »
That's a very serious question!! I suppose if you wanted to be totally chemical free it would be cheaper to use one of those water purerify things.  On the other hand tap water is good for the hens teeth  :D  :D  :D Sorry just had to say that.  :D
Jinty

otis pony

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 21:10 »
im no expert but doesnt bottled water contain some type of contamination from the plastic bottle its stored in?
...............happiness is wanting what you have, not having what you want.................

orchardlady

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 23:09 »
I've kept hens for a very long time now and have always given them tap water. The eggs are beautiful and the hens live a full and usually long life. The oldest hen I've had was 9. Unless you personally never drink tap water I would stick with it. Never use softened water that uses salt pellets or salt blocks. If you refresh your hens water in the evening when they go to bed some of the chlorine will disperse by the morning.

helens-hens

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 14:06 »
I am not sure that the level of chlorine in tap water is in anyway harmful but I have noticed that, along with many dogs I know, that the hens prefer to drink any old natural rainwater they may find in puddles etc in the garden, the more rank looking the better!

I occasionally give mine water collected in a water butt but some people advise against this but Ihaven't seen any ill effects so far.
Helen

mr.mellow

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 14:34 »
Chlorine is about 10 ppm in tap water. If you pour it from jug to jug almost all the chlorine is released.  :happy:

bantam novice

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 19:48 »
Alternatively you can fill a container with tap water and  leave it to stand overnight.  the chlorine will have evaporated.  You should be able to use it next day
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

bluemaran

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 20:10 »
I use tap water myself.I just wondered if people who are against GM feed are giving their chickens water with chemical content such as chlorine and flouride.And can it be classed as truley "organic".Just a thought.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 22:11 »
I've heard it all now.  What a load of old trollies that idea is bluemaran ::)

Chlorine is a very essential element for all life, we can't live without it !
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 22:33 by Aunt Sally »

bluemaran

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 20:30 »
We are not chickens,Im sure they can live without it.Not saying that they should.Chickens and most animals can put up with a not so hygenic supply than we can ever tolerate.All Im asking is tap water Organically sourced.Can it be classed as pure and  unmodified by us humans,which is what organic stands for.(I think)How should organic be described.What does it actually mean.If contact with wild birds is so bad,how come free ranging is so good--- confused,please help :unsure:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2011, 20:37 »
Seems as though you're getting yourself wound up, bluemaran.

I'd go and relax and not worry about it so much. The organic movement aim at healthy living. Worrying about it so much and getting stressed is hardly achieving this aim.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2011, 20:49 »
take a look at this website if you want information regarding organic husbandry:-

http://www.ifoam.org/growing_organic/7_training/t_materials/2_animal_husbandry/organicanimalhusbandry.html
Staffies are softer than you think.

joyfull

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2011, 20:58 »
My hens were fed on organic feed but as my ground hasn't certified by the soil association I couldn't claim that their eggs were organic. I used to give mine tap water and they also drank out of puddles (bear in mind rainwater also has lots of pollutants in it - think acid rain).
As for wild birds and free range chickens - my chickens are free ranging but I am registered with Defra so if there is any outbreak of any bird carrying disease they can notify me.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2011, 21:22 »
Chlorine is vital to life.  It regulates our bodies pH; it is involved in all nerve impulses; it digests our food in our stomachs.

When we have too much salt (NaCl)  in our diet it is the sodium rather than the chlorine which is dangerous.

In tap water there is only a minute amount of added chlorine which evaporates off extremely quickly after the water is drawn. 

There is some simple to understand information here:

http://www.mii.org/periodic/LifeElement.html

joyfull

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2011, 21:42 »
for info regarding organic poultry you could try getting a copy of this book:-

http://www.poultry.allotment-garden.org/Poultry/Organic_Poultry/Organic_Poultry.php

Page created in 0.24 seconds with 38 queries.