Garlic from Supermarket

• 10 Replies

Sophie_Chilli

• Sophie's Blog
Garlic from Supermarket
« on: January 13, 2011, 12:38 »
I apologise in advance if this has already been asked but I couldn't find any answers.

I was just wondering if it's okay to buy garlic bulbs from the supermarket to plant?  The internet is telling me mixed messages so thought the best place to ask was here!

I appear to have missed out on buying garlic from the garden centres and online.  It appears I'm too keen.  I know more stock will arrive but wondered if grocery shop would be an able substitute?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Garlic from Supermarket
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 12:50 »
It is generally not advisable for 2 reasons.

1 - they may carry disease

2 - they may be from a climate totally different to our own and hence not suited to growing here.

Having said that, people have had good results, but it's pot luck.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

AndyRVTR

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 12:58 »
Hi Sophie_Chilli... to follow on from what DD has said, do you have a Wilkinsons close by?, they are selling three bulbs for less than  a couple of quid, and have a couple of varieties to choose from. The ones in the supermarket are normally Spanish in origin and may not be suitable for our climate....  :)

bigben

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 14:28 »
I tried it last year, planted about 6 different types of both seed garlic and supermarket stuff. I found from the supermarket stuff I got a lot of bulbs with really small cloves. They are a pain to peel as they are so small. I tend to squish a whole bulb and chuck it into veg for roasting. This year I have stuck to either seed garlic or replanted my own stuff from last year that did produce big cloves.

I did find that garlic bought from the really garlicky company as eating garlic seemed to still produce a decent crop. It is grown in Scotland originally.

The points about virus issues still stand though.

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 16:34 »
Poundland are also selling garlic. :)

AndyRVTR

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 17:48 »
Poundland are also selling garlic. :)
How much?  :lol: :lol: ;)

SG6

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 19:56 »
Used them a few years back and had reasonable results.
The garlics I got were smaller then those that the cloves came from, but not too much. They were however stronger in flavour.

Presently seem to be 30p each so not a lot to lose.

Alternative is an organic shop that sell local grown garlic's. :ohmy:

As a small point all garlics I have grown have been smaller at harvest then the garlic they came from. So buying an expensive one is always a hard decision for me as the bigger ones seem to always give proportionatly smaller harvested garlics then I would expect.

Swing Swang

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 20:04 »
Before garlic was readily available in this country the only way to grow it was to bring supermarket stuff from abroad to grow. Gave us plenty for our family's needs when I was a nipper. Use the large outer cloves, not the smaller inner ones. Basically a named cultivar suited to our climate is best, but supermarket could be OK - if you've got the space you've nothing to loose.

SS

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 07:31 »
Noticed the ones in our local <insert name here> are Spanish and tidddly in comparision to the ones I grew from the Really Garlicky Company.

I really is worth spending a few pennies on bulbs you know are suited to our climate and from a reputable source.

Here's a few of mine:

There's only about 5 or 6 cloves per bulb, but they're huge, as you can probably make out from the piccie, you don't need many and are a doddle to prepare.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 07:32 by DD. »

jolly jen

• Experienced Member
  • half of my crop of BNS & pumpkins
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 09:00 »
i brought mine from the garlic farm , (isle of wight) had really good results with the purple garlic last year,and elephant garlic .for two years running.
i just keep bulbs back and replant ,had good results so far.
once you start off with good stock ..results are better.It was expensive to start with ,but has payed off.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and onions....

Sophie_Chilli

• Sophie's Blog
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 09:35 »
Thank you for all the advice.  I had fogotton Wilkinsons so am off there later on  :)

xx
Supermarket Garlic

Started by rhysdad on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 12, 2022, 15:32
by Snow
xx
Supermarket garlic - waste of time?

Started by juvenal on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 20, 2016, 15:03
by wapello
xx
Supermarket Veg

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

44 Replies
Last post January 07, 2011, 23:22
by asd1
xx
Supermarket Basil

Started by lottiegirl on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 23, 2013, 21:44
by Armleywhite

Page created in 1.012 seconds with 36 queries.