Nest box problems

• 11 Replies

victoria_plum

• Experienced Member
Nest box problems
« on: January 12, 2011, 15:27 »
We have the Flyte so Fancy Hobby Hen House.  It was our first house and now with the benefit of experiencing the daily chicken tasks, and routing cleaning (groan) I would choose a different house.

http://www.flytesofancy.co.uk/chickenhouses/Hobby_Hen_House.html  If you scroll down you can see a photo of the inside of the house.

I love the style, and I love the fact that it is on wheels (we paid extra for that), it is also great quality.

But it is so impractical to clean.  The nest box at the back is really cumbersome and you need to lift it out to get to the front and poo pick.  You also need to get the whole of the back door off to lift it out.  You end up with pieces of wood scattered all around the garden.  

Short of convincing my husband to cut our losses and get a more practical house (which he is resisting although I'm sure we'd get a good price for it and its run) can anyone think of any way I can make it more practical?

I've looked into the idea of buying a stand alone 'roll away egg box' that I could permanently replace the wooden nest box with, but it says that it should be positioned off the floor, not sure why.  Obviously because of the sides sloping I can't fix anything to side walls.

I'd really appreciate anyone's advice on this one!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 15:30 by victoria_plum »

8doubles

Re: Nest box problems
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 16:22 »
Being able to remove the perches etc is a big plus for deep cleaning especially red mite control.
I would put some legs on the coop to bring it 18-24" off the ground which will be a much better mucking out height allowing you to work under the perches without removal for light cleaning.
The legs would need to be well framed or braced if you wish to wheel it around, also it may need pegging down if exposed to high winds
The access ramp would also need to be extended but the hens will be ok with the alteration.

Beano

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 16:24 »
Had a look and yes it is a bit of a fiddle isnt it. The only thing I can suggest is raising the coop off the ground to waist level. At leas you wont have to bend down to clean it.
El.

ehs284

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 17:35 »
Agree with ^^, but could you also hinge the rear door/nest box? If you could put hinges on one side bolt on other and fasten the nest box to the door then it would be easy to swing out of the way when collecting or cleaning. No need for door to be whole of rear elevation; if you leave top part fixed it would help rigidity. May need to make nest box ends taper, but this wouldn't be a problem to the chooks.

jinty1911

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 18:40 »
What a shame.  That does look like lot of hassle.  I got 1 from ebay (shock shock horror) and am very happy with it so far.  We have made a few small alterations but it has kept the girls dry in torrential rain and melting snow and is easy to clean. 
Jinty

Bonniebean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 16:54 »
Just a thought Jinty - could you cut one side of the roof in half and hinge it? You could then get at front and back in one go. Just needs a bolt on the opening edge.

pekinpete

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 20:35 »
all my sheds for my chickens are second-hand garden sheds,big enough to stand up in to clean, dropping tray which is positioned under perches on back wall these can be removed , nest boxes on wall under window, with all these high up it makes for easy cleaning and still allows floor space for birds,shed is stood on blocks to stop vermin hiding under it, i find that to buy a poultry shed from a supplier that could provide what mine does would cost a fortune, and some where to shelter when it rains when seeing to birds

victoria_plum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 14:02 »
Thanks for all your ideas everyone.

A large shed is not practical in our garden unfortunately. 

I like the look of the house as I say - it is the accessibility that's the problem.  I like the idea of being able to lift the roof up on a hinge, but OH is not particularly handy :unsure:

Do you think that putting one of these in the back and removing the nest box all together would be an option? Has anyone used one of these?  I wonder if it would just sit on the floor.

http://www.flytesofancy.co.uk/chickenhouses/ChickBox_Rollaway_Nest_Box.html

That would let me access the roosting bars easier.  Trouble is I'd like to do a daily poo pick, but since they've been laying they are all using the roosting bars and that is the poopiest bit - the bit I can't get to!

asd1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 16:12 »
i have problems with my new hen house too :( its this one http://www.thepetpads.co.uk/shop/all-chicken-coops/the-hereford--%7C8223/
first its too small says 8 standard hens ....well we have 6 two of them are bantam and i still feel its too small. My other issues are that the ramp has just fallen off and the lock came off in my hand just now :( gonna get OH to give them a call see what they say

hen maiden

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 10:02 »
Hi Victoria,
I was going to get a couple of these nest boxes, then I considered the cost!!Then I thought I'd try  two plastic baskets, that I used to keep childrens toys in, you can buy them in big supermarkets and kitchen shops, like large nest sized cutlery baskets - ish, I have  lined with newspaper and fluffed up with sawdust. They are just the right size, hens lay in them no problem, they are nice and light, easy to take out and clean. They are about the same size as these FSF boxes, without the top, but the girls snuggle in and several of them lay in there and don't eat or break the eggs.The ones I have are quite sturdy and brown. I wouldn't buy thin plastic ones. I bought them years ago,..... probably from Woolworths.

Casey76

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 12:25 »
@ASD1: I'm sorry you hare having a poor experience with your new hen house.  Be assured it is not your fault, it is with the company who advertise these poorly made imported houses.

Depending on the roosting arrangements, the house itself is probably big enough for 8 hens (each hen needing 12ins/30cm of roosting space.  But the covered run provided is big enough for (according to DEFRA guidelines) 3 hens but by the time you add an enrichment area (dust bath, perches, food and waterers, it is be enough only for 1 hen.

I would strongly recommend, that if you do not already do so, then allow your hens to free range in your garden for severl hours a day.  If this is not possible, then a larger fenced area around the house should be made.  With  6 hens, you really need a space of 12 - 18sqm, and note that even in this space 6 hens will trash the ground in no time at all.

A movable elecrtic fence would be a good idea, or if this is not financially viable, then it doesn't cost much to make movable hurdles with roofing battens and weldmesh :)

Good luck!

asd1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 18:12 »
well the side fell off the run today! so thats going back for sure! lucky i do let my hens out alot and we had left the old run up and have kept the old house

xx
No problems with red mite in nest boxes now

Started by alisonwo on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post January 29, 2010, 11:41
by alisonwo
xx
Nest box

Started by blossom1044 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 27, 2008, 21:40
by treacleminer
xx
Nest Box

Started by Madrat on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 02, 2011, 18:19
by Madrat
xx
how many in a nest box

Started by gracie on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 18, 2011, 04:14
by hillfooter

Page created in 0.24 seconds with 29 queries.