Allotments eyesore???

• 20 Replies

Totty

Allotments eyesore???
« on: January 11, 2011, 17:23 »
Hi all,

I have recently extended our chickens run. Initialy three of us chose to keep chooks, and because we are a new group, the three of us were given omlet eglus to keep up there. The runs did not seem big enough so i built one (with permission) out of harris fence panels. 11ft square. I have a corner plot so utilised the already fox proof fencing on two sides and put the run right in the corner before fox proofing the remaing two sides with slabs. Its all been done properly and the eglu house is attached to the outside so i can clean them out without having to get in the run.
 The run is about 6ft high, and i have covered it with windproofing mesh to deter wild birds, and stop any escapes.
 My problem is that my other half thinks its an eyesore! and that come spring when more people are up there they may complain, leading me to have to take the run down. Is this right? The run is in the far corner, so in nobodys way at all. The side that will be most visable to other plot holders will have evergreen clematis growing over it to act as a windbreak and to look nice.
 But besides all of this, do i really need to worry, seeing as though we are allowed to keep chickens up there and not specifically in eglus and most chicken runs need to be around 5-6ft to deter foxes anyway, so im sure most allotments have them, or some other slightly unsightly but highly practical structure. Sorry this is so long winded but i will be really cross if my hard work goes to waste because some people dont understand the practical mentality which dictates that, you needent spend lots of money to have useful things on an allotment and the look of it is secondary.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Allotments eyesore???
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 17:51 »
Difficult to say.  Our council requires a structure permission form to be completed before anything is erected.  Safety and size are greater considerations than aesthetics.

Every site will have a different approach - you will need to assess what your council / committee's approach is.  Did you not discuss this before erecting the new shed?

There are also debates over whether a tatty shed attracts vandals more than a tidy one.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 17:53 »
If you have permission and it's in nobody's way I can't see what anybody could have to complain about. Has whoever gave you the permission seen it since you finished it? Allotments aren't meant to be beautiful (although of course they always are to the allotmenteers!) but practical. Check with the site steward and if he/she thinks it's  ok then you have nothing to worry about imo.
Rachael

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 18:01 »
A steady stream of beautifully yellow eggs with a taste that puts the supermarkets to shame should sway your OH too :)

fatcat1955

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 19:42 »
I hope you have those herris fence panels securely fixed, i have seen hundred foot runs blown over in strong winds and that was without the sail(net) you have put on them.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 19:47 »
Check with the council.

As they have "given" you eglu's, rather than wooden hen houses, aesthetics might be important to them.

Totty

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 20:40 »
I have been on the commitee from the off and it was the chairperson at the time who stated that it was a good idea. She has since seen it, and says she would like to do something similar, although she is no longer the chairperson.
  We ( the committee) made the decision to buy eglus due to the ease of movement, and ease to people new to poultry keeping. I decided that although the houses are extremely good and easy to clean, the run is not suitable for anything more than 3-4 hens.
 The bottom of harris panels have a 5 inch extension at the bottom that usually fits into purpose made bases. These are not sturdy enough therefore the 5 inch extension is pushed straight into the ground. Two sides are securely fitted to the fence they run alongside, another side has an eglu cube shaped hole cut out of it with the house outside and the small run minus the front door panel inside, this panel is fitted both to the eglu frame itself, as well as the fence and corner of another panel. The panels are built in a square, therefore each peice strengthens the next, whereas when a long strip of them are laid, the momentum of just a slight breeze can take the middle panels down shortly followed by the rest, hope that makes sense.
 I think its a work in progress as i know what i want it to look like when finished and the clematis are sprawling, but at the moment its just a square grid of mesh.

Totty

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 22:24 »
Do you have the eglu or the eglu cube? The eglu is only for 3 - 4 hens and the cube is for upto 10. You can buy run extensions for both of the runs and these runs are fully enclosed and have the fox proof bottoms, thus keeping them pretty looking. However Aunt Sally has her eglu inside a run and I have mine being used without it's run as my girls free range.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Totty

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 20:01 »
Hi, we have the eglu cube. It came with the run extension but there is no way the extended run was suitable for ten hens IMO. I dont really think the house is suitable for ten hens either. Maybe ten bantams.
 If you can imagine an eleven foot square cage, with a hole cut into one side the exact size and shape of the cube, the house and standard run was then pushed into the run, leaving just the cube house itself outside. This means i can clean out, collect eggs and open and shut the door without having to enter the run, it also gives them a little extra room underneath the house. The extended run and front panel have been removed. Hope that makes it easy to visualise!

Totty

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 20:14 »
Can you take a picture of it for us ?

Totty

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 20:27 »
Should be ok under the guidance of my OH. She is the technical one. Although its always dark when i go up there in the week so will try to sort some pics on weekend.
Totty

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 21:22 »
 :D

joyfull

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 21:49 »
you can use as many run extensions as you need - but this would make a very long run  ::). Perhaps Aunt Sally will dig out the photo of her run - although that is just for 2 or 3 chickens and she also lets them roam her garden when she is there  :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 22:42 »
It's probably not the type of run that Totty would want for his allotment.  It's designed to look good in the garden.

joyfull

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 22:46 »
but nice, fox proof and protects from the weather  :)

xx
allotments.

Started by sam51 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 22, 2018, 07:25
by paul sadler
xx
New Allotments

Started by nellie.b on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 03, 2009, 18:08
by Yorkie
xx
ALLOTMENTS

Started by Crumbly Oldy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 24, 2011, 19:07
by Willie_Eckerslike
xx
new to allotments

Started by liliboots1 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post November 20, 2008, 18:42
by fatbelly

Page created in 0.467 seconds with 36 queries.