Smoke

• 6 Replies

beth123

• Experienced Member
Smoke
« on: January 11, 2011, 10:01 »
Morning everyone

We have builders in next door and for the last few days they have been burning wood throughout the day.  Will the smoke harm my girls?  It that bad that even our house smells of smoke so it must be terrible for my chickens.

Kind Regards

PaulineM

Re: Smoke
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 12:41 »
I don't think it would harm your girls but I really don't know for sure.
If the builders insist on burning the wood all you can really do is hope for a change in the wind direction  :(
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

RichardA

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 13:01 »
ring environmental health at your local council and ask if they are allowed to create a nuisance like that. They aren't
R

orchardlady

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 13:33 »
I think I'm inclined to agree with Richard there. I think that builders are not supposed to burn building materials and stuff pulled out of houses they are working on. They are a bit naughty doing this but it saves them money as they don't have to take it to a proper tip, which they have to pay for per load. I should think it is fairly unpleasant for your birds and from what you say not good for you either. It might be worth a polite comment to your neighbour who may well be out at work all day and so isn't affected or even the actual builders. Work on the basis that you want to win their support rather than going in all guns blazing. Explain how it is affecting you and your birds, if you aren't one pretend you are an asthmatic!

OL

Paul Plots

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 15:42 »
I think I'm inclined to agree with Richard there. I think that builders are not supposed to burn building materials and stuff pulled out of houses they are working on. They are a bit naughty doing this but it saves them money as they don't have to take it to a proper tip, which they have to pay for per load. I should think it is fairly unpleasant for your birds and from what you say not good for you either. It might be worth a polite comment to your neighbour who may well be out at work all day and so isn't affected or even the actual builders. Work on the basis that you want to win their support rather than going in all guns blazing. Explain how it is affecting you and your birds, if you aren't one pretend you are an asthmatic!

OL

A compromise might be for the builders to burn the wood somewhere else away from your property - other end of the garden?  Might that be worth discussing?
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Jeanette

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 15:58 »
The same thing happened to me. Just over the fence from where the chickens were the builders lit a huge bonfire. I went to see them and explained that they were harming my chickens and they put the fire out and never lit one again. :)

beth123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 20:23 »
Thanks for the suggestions.  I've rung my council and unfortunately builders are allowed to burn material at any time of day and although its a nuisance they aren't breaking any rules.  My husband has spoken to them and they have agreed not to light any more fires after today although I'm not convinced.  I might have to do what Orchardlady suggested and pretend I'm asthmatic - you always give good advice.   

xx
smoke bomb red mite

Started by kegs on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 02, 2011, 10:03
by farmerGiles
xx
has anyone used smoke bomb to get rid of mite problem

Started by Rita on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 30, 2011, 15:43
by Topscaff
xx
Anti red mite smoke bombs

Started by Helenaj on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 04, 2011, 20:07
by joyfull
xx
rain shelter/smoke shelter

Started by Roughlee Handled on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 20, 2008, 15:49
by Jellyhead

Page created in 0.251 seconds with 36 queries.