• Experienced Member
Re: Help please ASAP - Fox attack
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2011, 17:40 »
 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2011, 18:23 »
How's Jemmima doing?

Hope you are all doing well. Thinking about you all.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2011, 19:48 »
Thanks Kate, Jamima is doing well, Making a lovely mess of my laundry area.
Will be intouch, Are you still free this weekend? x

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2011, 08:58 »
Jamima is certainly feeling much better today, She is giving Sophie the mating dance, Sophie isnt impressed  :lol: :lol: :lol:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2011, 09:01 »
Oh bless, so pleased for you and her  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

bantam novice

« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2011, 09:07 »
Good news, Hayley  :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2011, 09:15 »
Oh, Forgot to tell you yesterday, I won an electric fencing kit on eBay. Single strand wire, Is that ok?

22fox

« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2011, 12:41 »
http://www.chickenhouse.co.uk/acatalog/100m_Electric_Poultry_Fence_Complete_Kit_inc._Energiser.html this is an example shop around.

this is what u need (well need is a strong word more like its useful to have) there are various kits here some pics of our set-up.

We have since expanded another 25m and i have a few more birds include-ding some wonderful ex batts that i have had the pleasure of watching them gain beautiful new coats!

anyways hope it all go well. If not best with electrics ask a friendly neighbour.
I<3exbatts

penninehillbilly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2011, 23:58 »
Oh, Forgot to tell you yesterday, I won an electric fencing kit on eBay. Single strand wire, Is that ok?
Hi Hayley
What is included in the kit? wire length, type of energiser, posts?
a single strand could either be looped back for a low strand to prevent digging and a high strand to prevent jumping, presuming a fox would scramble over a fence, it touches both your mesh and wire and completes the circuit for a shock

mothership

• www.huntersmoonsmallholding.co.uk
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2011, 06:09 »
Hi, just wanted  to say that I have a troublesome fox he has had ten of my girls since the week before Christmas all in the daytime, and all when I think I have "fixed" it so that he will not get in.  I have tried a new energiser, fully charged battery, made sure the fence is taught, baited it - each and everytime he is in and to add insult to injury he doesn't even leave the area when he sees me just waits until I have gone.   40minutes it took him yesterday to dispatch three of my girls one that I have had since I started hen keeping four years ago.

Please Hayley do not rely on an electric fence, my own personal nightmare has learnt to jump it with no effect to himself whatsoever. He just leaves feathers and dead bodies around. I said yesterday and last week that I was giving up because is it so upsetting collecting body parts from the pen, however, now I think that I will organise for the fox to be shot - shotgun not air rifle and use a fox trap as well as the electric fence and double ring the electric fence so that he has to clear one one poultry net but two, and should he get caught between the two he will get a shock.
To all things there is a season

hillfooter

« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2011, 09:26 »
Hi, just wanted  to say that I have a troublesome fox he has had ten of my girls since the week before Christmas all in the daytime, and all when I think I have "fixed" it so that he will not get in.  I have tried a new energiser, fully charged battery, made sure the fence is taught, baited it - each and everytime he is in and to add insult to injury he doesn't even leave the area when he sees me just waits until I have gone.

It's absolutely true that a fox can jump a net if he becomes "educated".  This is clearly a case for eliminating the offender.  You will need someone with a rifle preferably to a shotgun which would need to be at quite close range to kill.

Best of luck
HF
Truth through science.

penninehillbilly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2011, 22:21 »
I second HF's comment on getting someone with a rifle rather than shotgun, I believe they leave meat to bait the area every night for about a week to give the fox confidence. Having handled the local gamekeepers rifle and looked through the sights, I reckon a steady hand and job done, they sorted our problem one shot quick and clean.

mothership

• www.huntersmoonsmallholding.co.uk
« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2011, 18:52 »
The chap that owns the field my girls are on is against shooting the fox as it is near some houses, so we are going to use several fox traps and I do believe they may go a hunting at night in the field where we believe the fox lives. 

The fox has had all of my ducks, but I could not find any bodies, nor enough feathers for three ducks, I think they may have flown, although I did find enough for one :( The feathers were all outside the pen.  girls and teenagers are all under siege currently. 

Saw the fox today, he is huge, but his tail is really dark and he looked almost grey in the twilight. 

I have checked my electric fence, and batteries and energiser, as per hillfooter's posts earlier and I have managed to make it more erect and tauter with no second strand touching the ground.  I have left my own little trap within the fence for the fox, so we will see.

Fingers crossed.

hillfooter

« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2011, 18:58 »
Best of luck mothership.
HF

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2011, 19:25 »
Good luck Mothership

xx
New chucks! Help please ASAP

Started by Vonnie on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post September 03, 2009, 18:38
by Vonnie
xx
help with silkie crop ASAP

Started by silverteen on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 23, 2012, 14:30
by Casey76
xx
Advice needed ASAP

Started by Carshay on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 27, 2011, 08:55
by Sassy
xx
i have a problem with some of my chicks need help asap or she might die

Started by famerboy on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 25, 2012, 11:53
by rileyfin

Page created in 1.929 seconds with 39 queries.