Growing Carrots over winter

• 13 Replies

nwalch

• Experienced Member
Growing Carrots over winter
« on: January 09, 2011, 22:32 »
I sowed some carrots quite late (end of August) in a plastic tub about 2 foot deep,
they grew so they have leaf tops but have stopped now with the
weather\lack of day light. Other than that they seem ok.

Will they start to regrow come March\April or will the cold weather have stopped
their growth and they wont regrow?

Are you looking for an allotment (full or to share) in South East Sheffield. PM me for details.

Trillium

Re: Growing Carrots over winter
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 00:46 »
Carrots do need warm soil to grow. Our best carrots are seeded around July for late fall harvesting as the soil is still quite warm then.

As for your later croppers, it's really hard to tell what they'll do when they start growing again in spring. Amount of daylight hours is a huge factor in what the plant will do - grow or go to seed.

Jono

• Real Men Sow - a cheery allotment blog.
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 08:47 »
I did the same as an experiment, and covered them in fleece when the winter came. They're still growing, albeit very slowly. Be interesting to see what they do when it warms up.

NASH

• Experienced Member
  • I live in Cardiff
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 09:18 »
I have an September planted row which has survived so far under greenhouse shading netting with hoops, they are about 2" high at the moment so I will be very pleased if they give me an early crop this year.

nwalch

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 17:53 »
I have an September planted row which has survived so far under greenhouse shading netting with hoops, they are about 2" high at the moment so I will be very pleased if they give me an early crop this year.

Is that outside under the shading netting?

Paul Plots

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 23:59 »
Down here in sunny Sussex.........

Autumn King stand well through the winter - I'm not so sure they actually grow but they keep well enough left in the ground (without cover) to be used right through to the first signs of spring.

Once the weather warms they will most likely go to seed. The other disadvantage is they will soon develop a tough core making them great for the compost heap but too tough for the plate.  ::)

Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

NASH

• Experienced Member
  • I live in Cardiff
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 00:19 »

Is that outside under the shading netting?

Yes it is outside, with December snow and freezing weather I am quite surprised they have survived so far.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 10:39 »
Anyone growing T&M Nantes Frubund ("Fast Crop")?  I forgot to sow mine in the Autumn, and my recollection of last Winter's growers was that most were not particularly impressed ... maybe it was a 5-minute-wonder and I should sell my packets on eBay? :D

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 10:47 »
Carrots are biannual plants - they flower and seed in their second year.  After a winter's sleep the will think it's their second year so will run to seed. 

I'd be interested to know if the roots are edable this year or if they turn woody before putting their energy store into their flowers and seeds.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 11:35 by Aunt Sally »

Nicki85

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 11:24 »
I also sowed carrots late last year (Jaune Obtuse de Doubs) and they have stood really well... I really did plant them to late last year so they only have small roots.  I'll let them carry on and see what happens until I need the space.  Some are in a cold frame and it just occured to me to put the lid down  :tongue2:

Will let you know if they are edible/ run to seed.  Although if they do run to seed I will collect some for next year as it is a really nice heritage variety.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 11:37 »
I don't think they will start to grow and go into their second year until the weather warms up in early spring.  I'm still digging my Autumn King and they are delicious and tender still.

Paul Plots

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011, 15:11 »
I don't think they will start to grow and go into their second year until the weather warms up in early spring.  I'm still digging my Autumn King and they are delicious and tender still.

Me too! They are a great carrot - full of flavour.  :)

Paul Plots

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2011, 15:13 »
Carrots are biannual plants - they flower and seed in their second year.  After a winter's sleep the will think it's their second year so will run to seed. 

I'd be interested to know if the roots are edable this year or if they turn woody before putting their energy store into their flowers and seeds.

You and me
Seem to agree  :lol:

I'm a poet
And didn't know it!!
  :lol:

Jono

• Real Men Sow - a cheery allotment blog.
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2011, 11:20 »

Me too. I covered them in a fleece, and they've been fine all through the bad weather so far.

xx
Carrots in winter

Started by Ghost on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 29, 2011, 06:25
by DD.
xx
winter carrots

Started by pedro on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 14, 2009, 21:52
by Ice
xx
Best Carrots for winter storage?

Started by herbiegrowsbananas on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 04, 2011, 21:43
by Jono
thumbup
Winter carrots and parsnips

Started by Gellideg on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 06, 2017, 16:51
by victoria park

Page created in 0.808 seconds with 36 queries.