Manure and cover or cover and manure?

• 5 Replies

vikiB

Manure and cover or cover and manure?
« on: January 09, 2011, 19:12 »
I've been gardening for years but am new to allotments. I'm in the process of clearing it of mostly couch grass. I got it deep rotavated as i couldn't even get a fork into it. So now digging over it and getting what roots I can out. I've done about half and my plan is to cover the rest with weed suppressing sheeting and then uncover it as i go. Am also thinking of getting a delivery of manure. Should I just cover the undig bit with the manure and then cover it all with the weed suppressing sheeting or cover it and leave the manuring until next autumn?
Any advice gratefully received!!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Manure and cover or cover and manure?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 19:21 »
Welcome to the site Viki, feel free to pop into the Welcome forum for a proper 'ello  :D

Opinions may differ (we're like that on here!) but I personally wouldn't put manure on the undug / unweeded section.  It will benefit from manuring in due course but it will make the couch grass roots lower down when you come to dig them out.  I'd maximise the manure on the part of the plot to be cultivated this year (although it's recommended not to manure where you will grow carrots or parsnips).

NB I assume the manure is well-rotted?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 20:04 »
and then uncover it as i go.

If you have got Couch and Weed suppressing membrane you might want to plant-through the membrane in the first year - that will make it harder for the Couch to come back again.

If you will have time enough to keep hoeing / pulling out any Couch that comes back then you are probably OK without the Weed suppressing membrane - although it will help retain moisture - but might harbour more slugs too.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 20:06 by Kristen »

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 19:57 »
Resurrecting an old thread for a related query. I have some very well rotted horse manure that i want to add to my plot which i've very recently dug over. I know this should usually be done in Autumn but will chucking some on now do any harm and should i avoid those areas that carrots and parsnips will occupy? 

Thanks a lot!!  :D

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 09:24 »
Frost (if we have much winter less) will be beneficial to the soil.  Putting a layer of muck on top will keep the frost out (and will insulate the soil to keep the cold in for longer when Spring arrives)

If you are going to incorporate it into the soil that's fine.

If you just want to put a layer on for a mulch (which will keep moisture in during the summer, and the worms can do some of the work of incorporating it) then I would wait until after the soil has warmed up in the spring
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 09:26 by Kristen »

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 10:22 »
Frost (if we have much winter less) will be beneficial to the soil.  Putting a layer of muck on top will keep the frost out (and will insulate the soil to keep the cold in for longer when Spring arrives)

If you are going to incorporate it into the soil that's fine.

If you just want to put a layer on for a mulch (which will keep moisture in during the summer, and the worms can do some of the work of incorporating it) then I would wait until after the soil has warmed up in the spring
Thanks Kristen for the reply. Yes I'd like to work the manure in a bit, to about 2/3" in or so. That would be okay as a 'middle of the road' approach?? Thanks again.

xx
To cover or not to cover my tomatoes

Started by Anton 2 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 08, 2021, 12:51
by Anton 2
xx
to cover or not to cover.that is the question

Started by sion01 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post November 10, 2010, 21:39
by Yorkie
xx
To cover or not to cover... that is the question!

Started by AndyRVTR on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post November 13, 2023, 12:21
by Aidy
xx
Chicken Manure Pellets vs DIY Store Manure

Started by RookieJim on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 20, 2014, 14:01
by Hampshire Hog

Page created in 0.472 seconds with 36 queries.