introducing new hens

• 6 Replies

zopadooper

introducing new hens
« on: January 09, 2011, 17:57 »
I have 6 ex batts in a fenced area of about 200 square metres.  If I was to introduce a new house and another 6 hens in the same area am I going to get fights or will they settle quite happily.

themagicaltoad1

Re: introducing new hens
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 20:19 »
The best thing is to keep them separated for a couple of weeks so they can see each other but not get to each other. You will have some squabbles as they sort out the pecking order but it sounds like you have plenty of space for them to keep their distance if they want to while they settle in. Make sure you have several feeders and water bowls dotted about, and a bottle of purple spray in case they draw blood. Good luck.

rachelr

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 20:30 »
I have integrated three different lots of hens into my garden and agree with 'themagictoad1'. I just kept them separate for a week and placed the feeders either side of the separate fence so they could see each other when they ate.

I have now 11 very contented hens i did have to use purple spray a little but only because they were so bare.

good luck. there is nothing quite like watching ex bats become beautiful hens

Totty

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 21:28 »
I think that by introducing a few more hens to a large area like that, you will have minimal problems compared to people who have a smaller area, better to be safe than sorry though i guess and keep them apart for a while!

Totty

orchardlady

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 22:28 »
Zoopadoopa. I've been keeping hens in a field at the bottom of my garden for many years now and the system I use is much as suggested. The new girls go in a small ark or a wire 6 foot by 4 foot run with a house attached for a week and then I give them the run of about 10 square metres for another week using flexible poultry fencing and then expand that to a further 20 square meters for the final week. These dimensions can of course be changed according to how many new girls you have. The main reason for the run or ark is to keep them reasonably contained so they can be caught if needed and so they learn where is bed. Everyone can see everyone but the new girls get their fair share of food and water and all is good. In the final week any treats or afternoon corn for the main flock is distributed near the poultry fencing and the new girls get their corn and treats near their side of the fencing. After week three the netting is removed and everyone mingles. There can be the occasional firm ticking off go on but nothing that you need to worry about.

Good luck.

OL

peter rooster

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 16:03 »
Hi

I am short of space and only had 3 marans, I had the offer of another 3 for free at very short notice. I put them into the house with the other girls just as it got dark. Over the next few days there were a few grumbles but they all settled in within a week. The new ones were free range and laid outside, I now have to train them to use the nest boxes.

peter rooster
Is there any sound better than contented chickens rosey away, far better tha whale song!

SamnElla

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 23:24 »
It's not only about keeping them apart so they don't fight, it's also quarantining to ensure that your newcomers don't spread any nasty lurghis to your existing flock.
It's all good in da wood

xx
Introducing new hens to freerange hens

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 02, 2008, 18:50
by mdueal
xx
Introducing new hens to existing hens

Started by Elcie on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 07, 2010, 14:52
by joyfull
xx
Introducing new hens.

Started by Axe Victim on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 22, 2008, 14:06
by Aunt Sally
xx
Introducing New Hens

Started by BIRDLAND on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 11, 2008, 20:45
by Daisycow

Page created in 0.3 seconds with 28 queries.