What brand of Compost? 2011

• 196 Replies

barneybpd

Re: What brand of Compost? 2011
« Reply #120 on: April 04, 2011, 11:59 »
I use J Arthur Bowers MP compost and have had great results. My local GC is selling a 60ltr bag for £3.75 or 4 bags for £12.

I have always been told not to use some of the cheaper options as they do put in a lot of the left overs
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 12:03 by barneybpd »

Composto

« Reply #121 on: April 04, 2011, 15:12 »
Last year I used B&Q's own, £6.95 for 125L; a bargain, or so I thought.  The germination was no better than any others that I've used in the past, but what also grew in it was a very hardy, grassy type plant which had very large root system.  So I haven't looked for any bargains this year; I've used New Horizon peat free, which has worked very well for tomatoes but not so well for cabbages and cauli's.  

As the New Horizon comprises very woody material, for smaller seeds I have used it in the seed trays but used a finer compost covering (from Clover Products - not peat free!), to enable the seedlings break the surface, this seems to have worked well with lettuce, leeks and pak choi.  I have tried okra for the first time this year and this has germinated well using this method.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 15:15 by Composto »

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #122 on: April 12, 2011, 08:39 »
Wyevale have 4 x 70L on offer for £12 (normally 3 x 70L = £12) for their club members (you can join, for free, there-and-then I think)

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #123 on: April 12, 2011, 20:18 »
Just got anouther 4 bags for £13 from wickes, its such good stuff :D
If you want to be happy for a short time - get drunk.

If you want to be happy for a long time - fall in love.

If you want to be happy forever - take up gardening!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #124 on: April 12, 2011, 20:28 »
told you so Jamie  :lol:

My son said...."what do you want for your birthday?"
My reply...."Some Wickes compost, please, same as last year"  :lol:

Jamie Butterworth

• Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #125 on: April 12, 2011, 20:37 »
told you so Jamie  :lol:

My son said...."what do you want for your birthday?"
My reply...."Some Wickes compost, please, same as last year"  :lol:

:lol:

Trouble is, its that good it goes way too fast, you can never have enough compost :lol: :D

ruralbob

« Reply #126 on: April 14, 2011, 19:56 »
I use Humax and find it good quality!, a quid dearer than the own brand b & q stuff but you get what you pay for.

The other half bought some small bags of container compost from Aldi (10 chuffing bags of the stuff), as she thought at .99pence for twenty litres we were getting a bargain!!!, it is the driest, cheapest stuff I have come across and I have chucked most of it in my compost bins and mixed it in.
JIM

theakston_uk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #127 on: April 17, 2011, 19:56 »
I use J Arthur Bowers MP compost and have had great results. My local GC is selling a 60ltr bag for £3.75 or 4 bags for £12.

I have always been told not to use some of the cheaper options as they do put in a lot of the left overs

I used one bag of J Arthur's and it was fine, went to a different garden centre and got 3 bags for £10 and the 1st one I opened was rubbish, it was full of all sorts of wood and stringy bits. I didn't bother opening the other 2 bags and took them back and swapped them for potting compost

katiekate

« Reply #128 on: April 17, 2011, 20:34 »
Ok I did the unthinkable and bought a couple of bags from Asda.  I know, i know, you get what you pay for! I had a gift voucher given to me by Customer Service because the plastic greenhouse I bought had half the bits missing, they did also replace it.. Sooo I thought I'd try it.  It had an massive seed inside that had sprouted and a lot of small midges.

Does this mean it has not been composted well enough and does anyone think they may be diseases in it if that is the case?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 20:36 by katiekate »

bashful_badger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #129 on: April 18, 2011, 20:56 »
I bought B&Q multi purpose as it did well in the which trials.  Seems ok, no big lumps and certainly no plastic!  Everything I've planted so far has sprouted ok, except my basil!  I thought herbs were supposed to be easy to grow!

Not that I'm any expert or anything.  We did have a bag of westland compost which did terrible in the which trial so it is still sat in the garden unopened.

xhappychickx

• 1 rhode island, 1 maran, 1 baby leghorn
« Reply #130 on: April 19, 2011, 09:35 »
My Partner and I went to Cherry Lane garden centre in tickhill and they sold 6 x40L John innes compost for £10!! now that was a bargain. and it seems to be good compost well good for a beginner :)

Noah'strolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #131 on: April 20, 2011, 19:12 »
I usually buy a multi-purpose from Makro in 100litre bags. They are £6.00 each but when their offer is on the price is usually BOGOF. I used it last year and had great results. At the begining of march i bought some from Asda and it is rubbish and smells really bad when wet. It is very fibrous and i have had to start most things a second time due to nothing taking.
I got some on that offer a couple of weeks ago. It was J Arthur Bowers compost, which has been ok in the past but this lot is very twiggy.

Jamie Butterworth

• Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #132 on: April 20, 2011, 22:19 »
if there is anyone reading this near wakefield, hampsons garden centre are doing 60litre bags of compost for £2, i cant remember the brand but its good quality stuff :D

muntjac

« Reply #133 on: April 21, 2011, 20:40 »
why not make your own compost with coir or peat if you want even buy in ready made compost from your councils and mix the fertiliser to suit yourself. if you search ,make your own compost by muntjac you will find many recipes 8)
still alive /............

thecakebaker

• Experienced Member
« Reply #134 on: April 24, 2011, 10:36 »
why not make your own compost with coir or peat if you want even buy in ready made compost from your councils and mix the fertiliser to suit yourself. if you search ,make your own compost by muntjac you will find many recipes 8)

The only problem with some council made compost is what is in it as some add wood that has been treated.

xx
What brand of Compost? 2012

Started by LilacSandy on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 05, 2012, 09:18
by DD.
xx
Brand new bed - but what can i put in it now?

Started by FCG on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post May 29, 2008, 13:23
by peapod
xx
Brand new allotment

Started by st0ne5ish on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 02, 2010, 21:20
by st0ne5ish
xx
Which seed brand do you go for?

Started by Tenhens on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post February 22, 2023, 00:35
by wolveryeti

Page created in 0.478 seconds with 38 queries.