Carrot sowing idea

• 20 Replies

robbodaveuk

• Experienced Member
Re: Carrot sowing idea
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2011, 22:14 »
If you use the block planting technique rather than rows you can just scatter the seed loosely across the area and let the carrots fend for themselves. Works for me!

Hmmmm, might give that idea a go this year, sounds like a good time saver and still with the same end result.

Robbo.
If at first you don't succeed, maybe failures your thing.
Don't take life so seriously, it isn't permanent.
Why do Blondes dye their roots black?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2011, 04:57 »
Not that easy to hoe, though!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2011, 11:17 »
If you are doing the "pinch of seed between the fingers and rub to dispense the seed into the drill" method you might like to do a dress-rehearsal on a piece of paper (contrasting colour helps) and you can then tip the seed back into the pack and have another go (with no one watching :) )

Trillium

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2011, 15:08 »
Not that easy to hoe, though!

Who hoes?  :D I just do an early hand weed and after that their foliage seeds to keep them fairly weed free.

Paul Plots

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2011, 16:09 »
I make a shallow V across the plot, fill it with water and allow it to sink in. I then place a stake at each end of the row and use a length of coloured string tied close to the ground to mark the exact line under which I will sow the seed.

Next (on hands and knees with my strongest specs on) I carefully place the carrot seeds where I want them directly under the string and at a spacing that will not need thinning.

This takes ages.........but it is completely worth the time it saves later. Any thing green that grows anywhere apart from under the string is pulled up. I can hoe early without fear of slicing through newly germinated carrot seed.

By the time the little darlings are coming up and the row of foliage thickening I have just about removed every possible weed seedling from the area.

Wow they do look good and there's just a quick hoe by needed once in a while to leave the row clean and perfeck!  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2011, 22:58 »
I too use sand - we always have it around as OH is a builder.  I find it works best to sprinkle seed + sand between palms of hands and then a slight spreading out further with the tips of my fingers.

I rarely have to thin a lot, but when I do I do it very early (and gently).  Seems to work for me
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

xx
Advice wanted on summer sowing idea.

Started by heygrow on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 06, 2012, 22:36
by AnneB
xx
carrot sowing

Started by acwid on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 09, 2010, 08:44
by Jeanieblue
xx
Sowing carrot seed already?

Started by juvenal on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 26, 2016, 09:39
by jaydig
question
Sowing Beetroot and Carrot together ?

Started by galen on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 13, 2009, 08:51
by Kristen

Page created in 0.888 seconds with 36 queries.