New Chicken Keeper - Refusing to Eat Pellets!

• 9 Replies
New Chicken Keeper - Refusing to Eat Pellets!
« on: January 07, 2011, 09:06 »
 Would appreciate some advice please - have had my two bantams for about six weeks now.  Have been through organic pellets, layers mash and two types of mixed corn, but to no avail!  They point blank refuse the pellets or mash.  I have even made it into a porridge but still no joy. They eat a small amount of mixed corn (and have been laying for about a fortnight now) but are literally surviving on rice, sweetcorn, cabbage, mashed potato and the odd bit of cat food which they go wild about (but i have read mixed reviews on whether this is good for them or not).  I am concerned that they wont be finding enough bugs in the garden as it is slabbed with just a couple of slabs taken up for them to forage in.  I have tried to contact the people that I bought them to see what they fed them on but they havent returned my calls.   I have tried just leaving the pellets and corn out with no treats for a couple of days but they just starve themselves instead!  Any advice please?

orchardlady

Re: New Chicken Keeper - Refusing to Eat Pellets!
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 12:48 »
I know it sounds tough but you have to stop giving them all the other things for a while. Even stop the corn. Give them the layers pellets exclusively. Chickens are much like us , we all love the goodies but leave the healthy options. When you come to worm your birds with Flubenvet you only give layers pellets and you will be glad you've broken the bad habits early. They will not starve...promise. They may sulk a day or two but will eat their layers. The desire to live and survive is far too strong to allow them to starve themselves. The only other things you need to offer are grit, oyster shell and a drinker of water. When you come back to offering a more varied diet keep it that they have access to layers pellets all day long this should be the majority of their diet. Give a small handful of corn or mixed corn in the later afternoon and other treats then to. You will then have happy and healthy hens that give you beautiful eggs.

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 13:04 »
Sounds about right our Pekin's sulked for about 3 days then ate the pellets Remember treats need to be treats not part of the regular diet.

Good Luck
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 13:36 »
Absolutely agree with Orchard Lady :)

You'll be glad you did it :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 14:27 »
ok thanks will try that - i thought thats what you might say lol!  was hoping that as they are laying every day and seem perfectly happy that it might be ok to carry on as i am, but i obviously want them to be as healthy as possible so will give it a go and stop spoiling them! 

izzy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 11:14 »
we had the same problem and I'm affraid the tough love was the only option.Took a couple of days but they soon realised that was their lot .I only give treats every couple of days now and only late in the afternoon when they have had a chance toi eat most of their pellets.

Jeanette

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 14:03 »
They will eat the pellets when the realise they are getting nothing else, they cetainly wont starve.

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 08:12 »
thanks for all your help - its working!  they are eating the pellets now (not very happy with me but hey ho!).  have literally left nothing but pellets in the run all day while i am at work and they are mostly gone by the time i get home.  will only give treats at the weekend now.  am certainly spending less time at the cooker boiling rice and potatoes as well!  thanks again.

orchardlady

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 11:22 »
Glad to hear they are being good little chickens...now you need to be a good owner and resist those dear little faces asking for all the wrong things. Leave them on their layers for a couple of weeks then you can start to introduce some lovely treats and corn but only in the later afternoon an hour or so before they go to bed.
Lovely to hear a happy ending.

OL

cammi

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 19:51 »
Im a newbie too...... one of my chickens wont eat out of the feeder i bought one of those expensive galvanised ones with a hat on.  I noticed she was eating pellets so put some in a dish for her and she dived straight in she must of been starving.  So now buying a cheap plastic feeder lol. could of saved my pennies in this first place :blush:
11 Chickens (Rhode Rock, Bluebell, Copper Black, Columbine, Coucou, Mystery Hen, Clarance Court, Araucana, brown hen ) , 3 Cats (1 mog, 1 bengal, 1 Bengal x),  2 Little Boys, 1 dog (Golden Retriever) and 1 Husband

xx
Argh one chicken refusing to go to bed.

Started by Nicki85 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 02, 2012, 11:37
by Nicki85
xx
New chicken keeper, almost!

Started by hamsterhead on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 17, 2013, 11:15
by ANHBUC
xx
New Chicken Keeper

Started by AndyRVTR on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 24, 2008, 13:41
by woodburner
xx
Help for a new chicken keeper please

Started by What Allot on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 08, 2009, 21:18
by nzdunn

Page created in 0.307 seconds with 35 queries.