Do Chickens get lonely?

• 11 Replies

tallgingerbloke

Do Chickens get lonely?
« on: January 06, 2011, 15:08 »
I am considering keeping half a dozen chickens at my allotment, I have checked with the council and they are OK with it.

I can get a large coop and make a large run for them but may only be able to visit them for watering/feeding /checking once a day (allotment is 4 min walk which I can do on the way to work easily). Is this standard of care OK?

Thanks (more research to follow)

Thinking of calling my shed "the Dun Inn".

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Do Chickens get lonely?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 15:14 »
you need to visit twice a day - so you can let them out, put their feeders out, change their water etc, then again to collect the eggs, put food and water away and lock them up  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Pol

• Pauline
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 15:26 »
Has Joyfull say you need to visit twice a day
1 Great Husband, 2 Children, 1 Grandson, 2 Allotments & Secretary, 3 Buff Orpington, 2 Friesian, 2 Barnevelder, 2 Dogs 1 Cocker Spaniel and the other X Labrador, 1 Chinchilla, 1 Cat, 2 Guinea Pigs, 2 Horse and look after 2 more, must be mad

tallgingerbloke

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 15:36 »
So they don't just put themselves to bed then :( , I thought I could just leave it so they had access to the run and would go inside when it got dark......good job I checked. Thanks guys

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 15:39 »
you will be encouraging rats and other vermin plus foxes.

hillfooter

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 15:50 »
Yes you need to lock them in securely as soon after roosting as possible and also collect the eggs so twice a day, morning and evening visit, is a minimum really and three times a day is better so you don't leave the eggs too long to risk egg eating or breakages generally.  Also if they are pure breeds you will encourage broodiness leaving egg collection till after dark. 

An alternative option is to get an automatic opener and closer which you might then be able to get away with one visit to collect eggs and top up feed and replace water.

You need to spend some time, possibly during the evening visit, just observing them so you spot any problems.

HF
Truth through science.

Pertelotte

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 11:47 »
Hi

When I first got my girls (who live in the garden) I spent as much time as I could just hanging and proffering nice treaty things to eat. I did this because;

a) I am a big kid and couldn't tear myself away,
b) Not only do they need to know who you are so they're not spooked when this big thing turns up nicking their eggs etc, but also, when you do your checks or extract them from places they should not be they won't be scared of you. (I tell you, it is sooo much easier if you can call them over!), and,
c) see a.

What you don't appreciate is that having chickens is more addictive than getting a crack cocaine habit! Once you and your girls get to know each other it's just brilliant. And it's soo cool when they'll eat from your hand and nobody else's. (Don't try this with mealworms: they'll rip the skin off your fingers.) While the good folk on this blog know more than I ever will, I'm sure they'll agree that though chickens can be demanding and bossy with people they know, they can be pretty skittish with folk they don't. So spend the time and introduce them to whoever it is who'll be your deputy when you're out of town or stuck at work.

The rewards will be more than worth the effort, I promise.

And good luck!

Sassy

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 13:42 »
They will put themselves to bed but they need to be checked to ensure that they are all present and that they are alright. Also you need to lock them up to protect from foxes etc and remove food to prevent vermin :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

tallgingerbloke

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 20:27 »
Thats everyone for all that really good advice. It's reassuring that you are all saying the same thing.
 I think I have decided that chickens deserve someone who can spend a little more time with them than I can. So I will leave it a few years and think again.

Thanks again, I'll concentrate on the veg

;)

wolverine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 09:58 »
Seems a shame to have to wait I had to wait 3 years when I was living in a flat but first chance I got  I got my girls. Is there no way you could keep them in your garden?  I'm guessing you wake up there an go to bed there so that's your two visits covered. An you get to see them more they are funny little things to watch.
I say do it  :)
"It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it."

izzy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 11:09 »
we choose to put our chickens at the bottom of the garden.I'm glad we did . Never knew chickens were so interesting.Each one has it's own little ways.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2011, 12:44 »
It would be a shame if you have the allotment and really want chickens, but are worred about the time you can spend with them.  Like Joy said, as long as you can go back in the evening and shut them up, as long as their run was nice and secure, it wouldn't matter much if it was dark by the time you got back from work to pop in and collect your eggs and shut them in.

We have lots of members with full time jobs.  I wouldn't like to keep mine on an allotment though, but I'm lucky to have enough garden for them.  They really are characters, and won't be lonely for your company, as long s they have toehrs of their own kind to run around with.

Give it a good think and a bit more research before you decide against it!

sad
lonely hen

Started by snowy on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 05, 2009, 16:42
by andreadon
xx
Lonely Hen

Started by yorkylover on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 03, 2013, 08:24
by joyfull
xx
Lonely Hen

Started by nerdle on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post November 27, 2011, 13:54
by nerdle
xx
Advice for Lonely.

Started by too many girls on The Hen House

32 Replies
Last post July 16, 2008, 23:54
by FCG

Page created in 0.36 seconds with 37 queries.