Raspberry Yield

• 15 Replies

purplebean

Raspberry Yield
« on: January 05, 2011, 16:15 »
I am considering redesigning my garden again to fit in some raspberry canes, currently have the full design worked out and the wood for the raised beds bought so I need to be quick before hubby starts to build or has a fit when I give him another design.

Just wondering what sort of yield you can expect from raspberry canes, I know it varies with type but anyone any idea what the average is? Once I know roughly what to expect I can decide how much space they need and then draw out design 6 I think I might be up to

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: Raspberry Yield
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 16:20 »
I don't know the answer to your question, and this may be completely useless in helping you plan, but here goes nothing!

We have 100 Raspberry canes in 10 different varieties (10 of each) which fruit at slightly different times and this gives us all the Raspberries we [family of 4] want (including for parties etc, with a bit of forward planning / non-picking) from the start of the Summer school holls through to half term in the Winter term.

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 16:31 »
I have 4 rasberrie canes in there first year last year, they produced quite a bit to say they are in there first year so I have ordered 12 more, i would recomend as they do produce quite a lot espicially when they get established and they taste great :D

Good luck witht he new garden :D
If you want to be happy for a short time - get drunk.

If you want to be happy for a long time - fall in love.

If you want to be happy forever - take up gardening!

fatbelly

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 17:34 »
On my last plot, I had 5 Joan J Autumn fruiting canes and the yield and taste were fantastic.
There is only two of us that eat Raspberries at home and we had loads and loads to eat.
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

purplebean

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 19:00 »
Thank you that gives me a good idea of quantity. I think I might start with just 5 and see how we go, people round here (except me) can be fussy about raspberries.

Another question do I need to be able to access both sides for picking or will I be able to get all the berries if I am just picking from one side?

grenhouse

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 19:44 »
I have about 25 canes in the lottie and probably had around (guess) 14lb of fruit, only roughly know this as I made quite a lot of fantastic (even if I do say so myself!) jam! They are 2 yr old canes.

Steve

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 19:53 »
I've got 2 rows - originally 5 canes each row - of Autumn Bliss on the plot and I find access both sides is needed for picking these.  Not sure of total yield but mine are about 4 years old now and we get more than enough fruit for 2 of us to eat raspberries fresh through the season, plus plenty to freeze and preserve. 

I think if you have summer fruiting ones which you tie to wires you might get away with single side access, but autumn fruiters are usually grown between 2 wires as they are more bushy.

Plant as many as you have room for - there's no such thing as having too many fresh sun ripened raspberries  ;)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 20:02 »
When I got my current plot - about 8 years ago, I was given 8 twigs of Autumn Bliss at totally the wrong time of year - July.

Those twigs are now a hedge 32' long 5' wide, so yes, as New Shoot says, access is needed from both sides.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

purplebean

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 20:04 »
Thanks everyone I'm going to go back to my plan and see where I can fit them in  :D haven't told hubby yet

Trillium

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 21:34 »
Convince him it will be well worth the extra change. Must confess that after sitting in the garden eating fresh peas, sitting in the garden eating fresh raspberries is my close second favourite thing to do. Summer just isn't summer without the smell of warm raspberries fresh off the bush. Drool, slurp  ;)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 07:06 »
haven't told hubby yet
Tell him once they need picking? :D

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 09:43 »
we had 20 canes (autumn bliss and a  summer fruiting one - all of which were planted in the ground around Nov 2009) and last summer/autumn had more than enough for 2 of us to eat madly, to make loads of jam and to freeze loads of containers worth. And no end of punnets worth given away to appreciative friends.
"Set down the wine and the dice and perish the thought of tomorrow"

purplebean

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2011, 10:17 »
haven't told hubby yet
Tell him once they need picking? :D

That won't work as he is building the raised beds for me

JohnB47

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2011, 10:47 »
On my last plot, I had 5 Joan J Autumn fruiting canes and the yield and taste were fantastic.
There is only two of us that eat Raspberries at home and we had loads and loads to eat.

This is my experience too. I planted 5 Joan J last spring and only two survived through the dry spell we had. But no problem, just two bushes gave us loads of fruit - some of it was going off 'cos I couldn't pick it quick enough. Perhaps foolishly I've just planted another six Joan J's.

stompy

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2011, 11:08 »
I was given 1 plant of an unknown variety of Autum raspberry, after 2 years i had 5 bushes from runners.
These used to give us far more raspberrys than as a familly of 4 could handle (only got young children so 5 bushes was enough, that will change as the children get older im sure), so we used to give away or freeze the extra.
They used to start cropping at the end of July and finish in November.
When i get my next plot i will be getting 1 Autum Varietie and 1 summer varieties and take cuttings or runners from each plant to keep cost down to end up with 5 of each after a year or two.
That will be far more than we will ever need but i'll make jams (etc) with the surplus.

xx
pea yield

Started by dmg on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 01, 2012, 17:37
by DD.
xx
Veg yield

Started by KezMez on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 28, 2017, 22:25
by mjg000
xx
Spud Yield

Started by GillyHen on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 22, 2009, 09:38
by aelf
xx
New spuds - what's the yield...?

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post June 29, 2011, 18:20
by arugula

Page created in 0.508 seconds with 37 queries.