To munty or not to munty...

• 44 Replies

Paul Plots

Re: To munty or not to munty...
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2011, 01:41 »
Learner, time to give those moths in your purse a breather and buy a proper packet of White Lady seeds  ;)

Purse? What purse?  :unsure:

Can't afford one!!  :lol:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

savbo

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2011, 07:48 »
I use X-frame.  Same as A-Frame - row of canes with a horizontal cane at the top, but X-frame has the cross over 1/3rd from the bottom, and horizontal canes along the top, and some bracing between the two rows.

sorry, another question - do you use 6' or 8' canes?

M

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2011, 08:37 »
Definitely 8' - they will be a foot or more into the ground, and at an angle will be lower than their length, and Runners can climb a long way.

I think, basically, what you want is a cane which, when inserted in the ground, has a tip that is maximum picking height (on tippy-toe is fine, maximise the height).

I grow mine in 3" pots two [plants, rather than seeds] per pot. Conventional wisdom is to use modules, as apparently they don't mind root disturbance, but the darn things grow so fast, and I sometimes can't plant them at just the right time, so the pots give them a bit more compost if I need to stretch planting time, but more importantly I can move the pots further apart to stop them becoming an intertwined mess.  Modules is fine though, if that suits you better - aim for two plants per cane.

When I plant out I also sow a seed along-side to come along later.  My Runners usually last until the first frost, so the extra-seed provides a lower-down plant. But with climbing French Beans the season is shorter and the seed-alongside lengthens the cropping season.

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2011, 09:50 »
At the risk of hijacking again ...that's decided for me then - I'm not going to Munty, I'm going to Kristen this year. 

I did buy White Lady after reading so many recommendations on here. 

Here's to a fantastic crop of beans then ...
Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

madcat

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2011, 09:56 »
Just one more thing about munty - they arent just for runners!   :ohmy:  Sorry to be unorthodox, but I have a long frame (7.5m) and grew 1/3 scarlet emperor, 1/3 white lady, 1/3 climbing french beans (neckergold), with a few mangetout on one end and sweetpeas at the other, and cucumbers up the end and 2 intermediate posts at the south end (which are there because otherwise the whole thing would sag horribly due to the length and weight).  Underneath last year I grew a very respectable onion crop from sets and a few early turnips - they are mostly out of the ground before intensive picking begins.  This year there will be first earlies followed by leeks..

The collection of stuff for the bean trench is taken very seriously ...   :D
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2011, 12:38 »
I'm going to Kristen this year. 

Hahaha ... it does NOT have the same ring to it ...

"I'm going to X-Frame" perhaps?

"I'm growing X-Factor Beans this year" (Nah, Cowell will make money from it somehow ...)

:)

savbo

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2011, 12:59 »
how about 'I'm going to Kris-Krosten'?
 :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2011, 13:01 »
Just a thought about a missing thread - you didn't post on it, did you savbo? :lol:
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Trillium

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2011, 15:22 »
I'd highly recommend that those building a munty frame use 2x2's rather than canes due to the sheer weight the frame will have to support with vines and beans. It will also be more sturdy to move if you're following rotation plans. My friend used canes for only 6 climbing beans and the thing fell apart on her from weight.

The framing should be 2x2's and a good string used for the training. I used jute the first year and it totally disintegrated on me  >:( The following year I used polypropolene string (baling twine) and it's been up for 4 years now. Will replace it this year as it's stretched a bit.

No, the frame is not just for beans. I grow White Lady on one half, and my vining table cukes on the other half. Best move I ever made - lovely straight cukes that I can find before they over ripen. In fact, I got so many I had to share with my neighbour who was quite happy.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2011, 17:12 »
I'd highly recommend that those building a munty frame use 2x2's rather than canes due to the sheer weight the frame will have to support with vines and beans.

I use chestnut poles which are much cheaper thn 2x2 lengths of wood.
bean pole.jpg
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 18:26 by Aunt Sally »

madcat

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2011, 17:51 »
roofing lathes - which are recycled from a skip when the builder was doing a loft extension ....  8)  with recycled fence posts reinforcing them at the corner posts for a bit of extra muscle.

i used plum poles, removed when pruning, instead of string to support the mangetout and sweetpeas which worked quite well, but they got very brittle by the end of the season.  Not sure I would do it again.   :unsure:

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2011, 18:03 »
Just a thought about a missing thread - you didn't post on it, did you savbo? :lol:
He does'nt get to keep his own threads any more ... 8)

Trillium

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2011, 19:07 »
Lucky Aunty to have chestnut poles. No such things exist here even though we have loads of chestnut trees.

totalnovice

• kates allotment adventure
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2011, 19:41 »
Is it wrong to be jealous of Aunty's munty (as seen in past threads)?
Kate
Always thankful for advice!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2011, 19:50 »
There is no need for you to be jealous me dear.

3 x 8ft  and 3 x 4 ft chestnut poles, some 8 ft garden canes, hop (coir) string and some cable ties.

Easy to erect and easy to take apart at the end of the season.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 19:53 by Aunt Sally »

xx
Thanks, Munty

Started by Jeanieblue on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 09, 2007, 22:01
by mkhenry
xx
My Munty

Started by GaryH on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 12, 2008, 23:03
by muntjac
xx
Munty frame

Started by Lynne on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post February 08, 2008, 10:37
by Ruth Cross
clip
My Munty frame

Started by snow white on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 07, 2018, 17:02
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.542 seconds with 37 queries.