A bit late but worth a go?

• 9 Replies

Sideways

• Experienced Member
A bit late but worth a go?
« on: January 05, 2011, 09:13 »
I was in Focus this morning and spotted a bunch of reduced seed bulbs / roots which should have been planted between Sept & Dec last year. I know I’m leaving it a bit late but as the packs were reduced from £2.49 to £0.10p each I thought I would take the risk.

I bought several packs each of the following-
Rhubarb -Victoria
Rhubarb -Red Champagne
Asparagus -Thienlim
Onion sets- Shakespeare
Garlic – No name given on these.

The garlic has small green shoots growing from some of the tips, I think it is desperate to get in the ground. All of the labels state they should be planted between Sept & Dec.

I will plant them this weekend and see what happens, do you think I will have much success? I don’t think I could store them until next winter and I guess it’s not such an issue for the rhubarb and asparagus as they will stay in the ground for several years or more.

What do you think guys, stick them in the ground and see what happens?
We lived for days on nothing but food and water.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: A bit late but worth a go?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 09:18 »
As we said on this thread nothing to lose - well not a lot anyway in your case!

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=69516.0

They certainly won't keep until next year.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 09:18 »
I know nothing about asparagus, but the others should be fine, they won't know that they are a week or so late ;)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 09:50 »
Make sure you give the asparagus crowns a good soaking in water and then inspect them to see if they have re-hydrated well (i.e. haven't stayed shrivelled or show any signs of rot) because they must have been stored an awfully long time.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Sideways

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 10:11 »
Make sure you give the asparagus crowns a good soaking in water and then inspect them to see if they have re-hydrated well (i.e. haven't stayed shrivelled or show any signs of rot) because they must have been stored an awfully long time.

Thanks all.

JayG, would an overnight soak be enough? As Im not planting them until Sat morning I could leave them in water until then, too long?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 10:20 »
JayG, would an overnight soak be enough? As Im not planting them until Sat morning I could leave them in water until then, too long?

Overnight would be plenty (don't want to drown the poor things; they've suffered enough already!)  :)

stompy

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 10:33 »
I would put them in, nothing to lose.
Or put them in pots and see if they come on, if so plant them out.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 12:12 »
The price reduction is a bargain! but IME those type of things in bags hanging on racks dry out - even when they are "fresh" they are not in brilliant condition, after they have been there a couple of months they are in poor shape - particularly the Asparagus, and possibly the Rhubarb too (although they are though as old boots normally). I expect the bulbs are just shrivelled, so will have used up some / most of their energy store just trying to stay alive, but that will only mean a smaller crop, not a dead plant :)

You've only paid 4% of normal price, so if more than 4% (a shade more than 1-in-20) grow you are in profit :)

Sideways

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 13:32 »
I have opened up the packets and taken a closer look, the onion sets are in very good condition and still 'juicy', I split a couple to check. The garlic seems ok, its firm and the green shoots appear healthy. I cant realy say much about the aspagus & rhubarb, they look like dry roots, as usual.

I will get the garlic and onions in the ground and perhaps cover them up for now.

TheSpartacat

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 17:40 »
Argh!! RHUBARB!!!

Sorry, you've just reminded me of the 6 rhubarb crowns that i bought and didnt plant! How on EARTH did i forget about those?! eek!
 I've just checked them and they still look nice and moist (the compost round them is still damp)
Crumbs!

Well Sideways... you and me will both be experimenting in late rhubarb planting this year. Except I ordered mine at full price last Sept (.. and am feeling like an idiot)
 :blink:  :(  :closedeyes:

xx
Late late sowings of parsnip and carrot

Started by WG. on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 06, 2007, 19:21
by WG.
xx
Broad beans - too late or not to late?

Started by redfire on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 30, 2008, 10:23
by weeeed
xx
to late to plant "late" potatos?

Started by mickeyboy on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 06, 2007, 20:53
by Beanzie
xx
Is it really worth it!!!

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 26, 2012, 17:35
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.524 seconds with 39 queries.