are we not used to quality or were my veggies to blame?

• 52 Replies

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: are we not used to quality or were my veggies to blame?
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2011, 15:29 »
No, don't think so. They are the old fashion, tall, growing type. Modern supersweet corn has been bred to mature faster, but they have done that by also making them shorter.

But, the taller ones carry more cobs - so they crop over a longer time.

Crucial to pick the cobs early enough - and its quite difficult to work out how "mature" they are as they are still fairly buried in the leaf joints.

I suggest that you snap off the male flowers on the top of the plant when they appear - which will prevent anything accidentally getting pollinated - including any other sweetcorn varieties in the vicinity.

GreenOwl

« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2011, 16:04 »
I suggest that you snap off the male flowers on the top of the plant when they appear - which will prevent anything accidentally getting pollinated - including any other sweetcorn varieties in the vicinity.

You are referring to the minipops aren't you?  I would want the full size ones pollinated!

Trillium

« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2011, 16:14 »
In our Canadian seed catalogues, we're always warned to plant any mini or popcorn varieties quite far from eating varieties as the cross pollination will ruin both crops. Same with planting open/heirloom varieties far from hybrids. So unless you really do have the space for distant plantings, best to choose just the one that everyone will like most and concentrate your efforts.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2011, 16:17 »

You are referring to the minipops aren't you?  I would want the full size ones pollinated!

Yes, sorry for the confusion and wandering so far off topic. I am DEFINITELY talking about Mini-pop which are unfertilized, immature, sweetcorn cobs.

In our Canadian seed catalogues, we're always warned to plant any mini or popcorn varieties quite far from eating varieties as the cross pollination will ruin both crops. Same with planting open/heirloom varieties far from hybrids. So unless you really do have the space for distant plantings, best to choose just the one that everyone will like most and concentrate your efforts.
I don't think its necessary Trillium - breaking off the male pollen bearing part is easy to do, and 100% effective! (but the catalogue advice will work just as well, although it will reduce their seed sales somewhat I expect!)

realfood

• Experienced Member
    • Grow Your Own Info
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2011, 19:04 »
Last year, I decided to carry out an experiment to test the claims made in a well known seed catalogue, that isolation from other sweet corn varieties was not required for the varieties Swift F1 and Lark F1.

It was a tough test as I grew 5 different varieties in the same bed. The varieties were Swift F1, Lark F1, Mirai White GT 1007, Honeydew, and a mystery sweet corn from a "Gardening Which" trial a few years ago.

All the varieties were obviously affected by cross-pollination with different coloured kernels or harder kernels, especially noticeable after cooking.

The advice must still be to only grow one variety of sweetcorn at the same time, unless they produce their pollen several weeks apart, such as an early variety and a late variety.
Some of the resulting cobs had very tough, starchy kernels in amongst the tender sweet kernels.

kari

« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2011, 20:35 »
My children loved experimenting with me & growing at home last year (aged 3-12) but some of the flavours were alot stronger than they were used to, especially things like salad greens & radish, celery, spring onions etc. 

But Tom Thumb lettuce were a big hit with all of them, Pak choi were very popular too, and you cant beat a freshly picked pea pod, none of ours made it to the pot, they were all eaten straight from the pod in the garden, as soon as they were ready.

Strawberries as already mentioned taste so much different picked fresh too.
New to gardening & growing my own, its a very steep learning curve!

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2011, 07:02 »
Last year, I decided to carry out an experiment to test the claims made in a well known seed catalogue, that isolation from other sweet corn varieties was not required for the varieties Swift F1 and Lark F1.

I've seen that catalogue, and I did wonder ... and I have also seen quite a lot of "It is not as important as it is made out to be" advice ... but nothing, until now, has actually said "I did it and it did / did not work"

Thank you SO much for that!

GreenOwl

« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2011, 14:39 »

I've seen that catalogue, and I did wonder ... and I have also seen quite a lot of "It is not as important as it is made out to be" advice ... but nothing, until now, has actually said "I did it and it did / did not work"

Thank you SO much for that!

Seconded. 

To get back to the original topic:
IMHO its not your veggies its what people are used to.  Grow the stuff thats bound to be a hit and work from there :D.  I'd go for cherry tomatoes, strawberries, cucumbers, sweetcorn and definitely PEAS.  If you've got the space grow early spuds as well.

xx
I'd like to blame a slug.. but

Started by TheSpartacat on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 00:42
by Paul Plots
xx
I blame Aunt Sally

Started by purplebean on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 25, 2008, 21:50
by Aunt Sally
question
Soil quality

Started by HippyMomma on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post May 28, 2014, 13:08
by HippyMomma
xx
Seed Quality?

Started by Sideways on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 04, 2007, 13:51
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 3.1 seconds with 37 queries.