pruning rasberries

• 13 Replies

rowlandwells

pruning rasberries
« on: January 03, 2011, 14:38 »
we have quite a patch of raspberries autumn bliss they produced very well last year it was the first crop we had  since i moved them to another place on the lottie i never put up wires to hold them up but they still did very well despite this  :D

her indoors said we need to prune them back this year i think we should prune them down around January is this rite because i leave the soft fruit to the wife I'm not to sure about growing fruit and i would hear the last of it if i spoil the raspberries  :dry: so a little advise would be most useful  :lol:

iv also had my orders to put the post's and wire up this year as i dug up the gooseberry bush last year to move of course it was my fault it died so we need to replace it what variety is a good dessert gooseberry i was thinking of tying a variety called Hinnomaki?  5 bare-rooted plants for £23.50 +vat   :unsure:

« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 15:13 by DD. »

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: pruning rasberries
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 15:13 »
Anytime now's good.

The whole lot to within an inch of the ground.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 16:08 »
They will also benifit from digging out any shoots (and their roots) that are "outside" of your intended row. 

Add plenty of well rotted manure or compost as a top dressing in spring.

Chicken Pete

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 16:11 »
Reading with much interest the comments on this subject but was very surprised to read that you should prune them back so severe, is this for all the  or just the old  'canes  as I was told  to leave newer canes.
Your clarification would be much appreciated.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 16:13 »
Autumn Bliss are an autumn fruiting variety that fruit on the new wood.  All of last years wood is therefore spent and should be removed.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 16:13 »
This is only for autumn fruiting ones.

For summer ones you do only remove the old growth & leave the new.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 16:15 »
Summer ones fruit on the previous year's wood.

rowlandwells

Re: pruning raspberries
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 11:17 »
thanks DD and auntie your advise is noted will cut them back asap also any replies on the gooseberry question?

savbo

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 11:26 »
I was pruning my autumn rasps the other day and I noticed one cane was still green, so I left it...do you think that it's just a rogue cane or could I have a summer one mixed in? (I only planted them last summer after being given them)

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 11:27 »
Sorry, not well up on gooseberries, my plants were given to me. All donations gratefully accepted.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 11:29 »

iv also had my orders to put the post's and wire up this year as i dug up the gooseberry bush last year to move of course it was my fault it died so we need to replace it what variety is a good dessert gooseberry i was thinking of tying a variety called Hinnomaki?  5 bare-rooted plants for £23.50 +vat   :unsure:

I grow Invicta which is good for eating and cooking

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 11:53 »
I was pruning my autumn rasps the other day and I noticed one cane was still green, so I left it...do you think that it's just a rogue cane or could I have a summer one mixed in? (I only planted them last summer after being given them)

Yours were planted late so the growth will have been interrupted and therefore late; your "rogue" cane probably just didn't have enough time to grow enough to mature and fruit.

I grow Autumn Bliss and not all the canes die off in winter; if left they will actually produce a small crop earlier in the summer but I wouldn't recommend letting them do that on newly transplanted plants (I have stopped doing that anyway as the birds always eat the early fruits!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

savbo

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 12:40 »
ta JayG!

domw001

• Msg. To Mother Nature: Just Bring It!
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 14:25 »
I inherited a plot mid-last year with about 20 Autumn Bliss plants.  The previous owner said that they hadn't been pruned for a year and should have been done in February.

Come July they were well fruiting.

With almost 2 years worth of canes on the patch it looked a right mess but last Saturday I cut them all back and it looks clean, tidy and ready to deliver some nice fruit come September.

xx
Rasberries

Started by teflon on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 16, 2009, 21:30
by Kristen
xx
RASBERRIES HELP

Started by KIM200 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 08, 2006, 18:54
by noshed
xx
Rasberries!!

Started by Katt on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 14, 2006, 09:22
by John
xx
Rasberries

Started by Jamie Butterworth on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 14, 2010, 16:42
by andtiggertoo

Page created in 0.726 seconds with 29 queries.