Hello from worcestershire

• 12 Replies

welshthistle

Hello from worcestershire
« on: January 02, 2011, 21:17 »

Hi

Im new to chickens but have always hoped to have a big enough garden one day to have some.I have just purchased 3 hens 9months old they are lovely  a cochin,orpington and cochin cross.They seem to be settling in well and my 1st egg after just 5days (very exciting).
My orpington rosie seems to be the top hen bossing wilmar and honey about,they are now able to be free in the garden during the day which is nice.i was told orpingtons were quiet but rosie seems to like the sound of her own voice is this normal? I thought this was because she didnt like being confined to her run as she was used to being on a farm with lots of open space,she does seem better since having free acess to garden.Today was her worsed but then found an egg could this be why?
Alittle worried incase neighbours complain as she was making a din.Any advise would be great,hopefully she will settle as early days for all of us.

darkbrowneggs

• Experienced Member
    • Dark Brown Eggs
Re: Hello from worcestershire
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 21:38 »
Hi - I am in Worcestershire also   :)

Its very exciting to get your first hens and first eggs.  Enjoy them :happy:

The hens do cackle a bit after laying an egg, but this does not normally last for more than about 5 mins, and it is not just before dawn which is generally when the cockerels crow, so your neighbours shouldn't be too affected.  I am sure a hen makes less noise than a dog greeting the postie or the newspaper deliverers.

All the best
Sue
I love my traditional clean legged English Cuckoo Marans

CluckyChicken

• Experienced Member
    • Georgina's Araucanas
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 22:47 »
we have an awful dog over the back of our house, which is out barking at all hours.  It is so annoying, and hens arn't nearly as bad. (WHen I say all hours, I mean at 11 at night, and sometimes two in the morning, as well as at least five times during the day  :mad: )   
Lavender Araucanas, SS Hamburgs, White Wyandottes and Italian Quail

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 06:58 »
it's probably not the dog that's awful but the owners of the dog.
Staffies are softer than you think.

kellym

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 08:19 »
hello from hereford  :) i was worried about my 2 girls being noisy when we first got them but it turns out the neighbours actually quite like them and say they dont make much noise at all, my one neighbour is an elderly lady and she says it reminds her of her youth which was nice  :) only real time they make any noise is when i go out in the garden with thier treats lol good luck with chicken keeping you will love it, i do after only 3 months although there is so much more i need to learn.

retribution

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 08:40 »
I havent even got mine yet (pick up on wednesday and i am very excited, the wife thinks its sad i have also managed to find a chat room about chickens, i am hoping her mind will be swayed once we have them

bantam novice

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 09:04 »
Good Luck, Retribution  :)
 I'm sure your wife will come round once she has seen them and I'm sure you'll have a great time with them.  set up a comfortable bench for sitting and watching them and prepare to want to increase your flock.  Welcome to the wacky world of henaholics!
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

PaulineM

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 10:09 »
Hi
I noticed when I first got my girls they were very noisey when I let them out for about the first week and then it settled. I think yours are just a bit unsure of where they are and once yours have settled in they will quieten down a bit.
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 12:49 »
I havent even got mine yet (pick up on wednesday and i am very excited, the wife thinks its sad i have also managed to find a chat room about chickens, i am hoping her mind will be swayed once we have them
I wouldn't worry too much about your wife, mine was dead set against me getting chickens but I went ahead anyway. It wasn't long before I caught her talking to them and now she says they're the best "pets" we've ever had.

CluckyChicken

• Experienced Member
    • Georgina's Araucanas
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 18:04 »
it's probably not the dog that's awful but the owners of the dog.
true joy, very true.  Oh well, If they have a dog then I can definately have my chickens!!! :D

Jeanette

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 20:35 »
All chickens are different as soon as you think you know what is going to happen they let you know you are wrong. If you are worried about the neighbours take some fresh eggs around to her and she will soon be ok. My neighbours think it is great to hear the chickens they say it is like being in the country and i live in Cheltenham on an estate. When i first got my girls i invited everyone around that had children to see them, now people stop me in the street to ask how they are. 

retribution

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 20:39 »
think we should be alright on this as we are next to a school which has its own farm

welshthistle

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 22:25 »

Thank you for your replys its so nice to be able to speak to people that have been in the same situation.The girls do seem much more settled as each day passes which is nice.
bye for now

Page created in 0.264 seconds with 37 queries.