Egg skelter

• 20 Replies

PaulineM

Egg skelter
« on: January 02, 2011, 16:40 »
Hi Everyone  :D

Some advice please!
At the moment I keep my girls eggs in the fridge as I have an aga and my kitchen is always very cosy, if I had an egg skelter would it be possible to keep them in the kitchen? I know that eggs don't need to be kept in the fridge normally but I was worried about how the heat might affect them. Hopefully some of you have experience in this.

Happy New Year to everyone too!   :)

1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

bantam novice

Re: Egg skelter
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 16:44 »
Happy new year to you  too Pauline,

I keep my eggs on a wooden stand in the kitchen and they don't seem to come to any harm
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 16:45 »
It depends how quickly you use your eggs.

In a cool kitchen you can keep them for 3 weeks.

In an egg box in a fridge you can keep them for ages and ages and ages or even longer.

An eggskelter holds the eggs so that there is air all around them and it's the evapouration of water from eggs that ages them.  So in an eggskelter with lost of air and in a warm kitchen I'd say a week to 10 days.  

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 18:01 »
One of the best eggy inventions I have ever seen!  I gave 3 as presents last year and everyone loved them and have never had any problems with the eggs in the kitchen. None of mine ever go in the fridge as I hate them when they are cold.  But you probably would not keep them about for weeks and weeks as you are using them in date order.
mrs.ploppy

whistler

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 19:43 »
They sound like fun, where would we get one of those then?

Thanks.

Diggit

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 20:05 »
I'd never heard of one either so I just googled it. http://www.egg-skelter.co.uk/ that's a very clever idea for making sure you use eggs in date order.
Paul

orchardlady

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 20:06 »
I have been keeping hens for donkeys years and keep the eggs in my Aga warmed kitchen Winter and Summer, not in the fridge. I've never had a problem but they are either used, sold or given away with only a few days of laying. Recently I found a hidden nest with 15 eggs in so we used them rather than risk giving off eggs to others. So, I should think that the oldest egg was possibly up to 2 weeks old before it was found and I kept and used them over a further two week period. Each time I used one I cracked it into a bowl first just incase. They were all perfect. Hope this puts your mind at ease.

OL

Sassy

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 09:10 »
We have a Rayburn so understand your query. I do keep mine in the fridge but only because we have a cockerel running with the hens and I don't fancy a feathery boiled egg! :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :blink: :blink: :blink:
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 09:11 »
I have a lovely red skelter but don't use it as some of our eggs are too big and get stuck whilst others are too small  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

carolbriar

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 09:59 »
I've had an egg skelter for a year now and they are brilliant.  Not only do they look good but they do a great job too! :)
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

PaulineM

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 10:03 »
Thanks everyone for your replies  :)
As usual some good simple ideas like using them within 10 days (which we usually do) and the obvious one of cracking and checking them before using them!  ;)
Thanks again

Jeanette

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 20:47 »
I would not be without my skelter.

Foghorn-Leghorn

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 21:09 »
I love my egg skelter but I do find some eggs don't roll down the skelter very well when I remove the bottom one.  It's still a small price to pay though as I've not found anything that displays my girls' eggs better  :)
"The chicken came first—God would look silly sitting on an egg."

— Author Unknown

orchardlady

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 21:24 »
Sassy. You certainly won't get a feathery boiled egg just from your eggs sitting on the side in your kitchen. They need to be in an incubator or under a broodie hen to start to develop at all. I keep cockerels with my hens and have never found an egg that's started to develop even a tiny bit. ;)

OL

cammi

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2011, 20:36 »
I have a lovely red skelter but don't use it as some of our eggs are too big and get stuck whilst others are too small  :(

Blimey Joyful what breed of chickens do you have whos eggs are too big for the skelter??!! :blink:
11 Chickens (Rhode Rock, Bluebell, Copper Black, Columbine, Coucou, Mystery Hen, Clarance Court, Araucana, brown hen ) , 3 Cats (1 mog, 1 bengal, 1 Bengal x),  2 Little Boys, 1 dog (Golden Retriever) and 1 Husband

Page created in 0.38 seconds with 39 queries.