surprising behaviour

• 2 Replies

spekkynl

surprising behaviour
« on: July 31, 2007, 12:41 »
we have had 2 golden comets and 2 susssex whites for about 3 months now and they have become part of the menagerie.
unfortunately this week we have had to "dispatch" one of the golden comets as the breeder we got them from confirmed she was suffering from a peritinitus. we didnt want to let her suffer.
we now have a new golden comet who is getting used to her new surroundings.

what has surprised me is that the other original golden comet , (who we call "old longneck", because it really is very long!)  is normally very quiet but she has not stopped squarking and rosey since we had to remove her pal. she really seems quite distressed . over the past few days as the other old girl had been getting worse she had been sitting with her.  

i didnt realise that it would affect her the way it has as the 2 sussex dont seem to be bothered

is this normal for chickens to be aware ? or is it becasue they are from the same breed or same family

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
surprising behaviour
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 12:54 »
It's quite common for hens to become attached to each other.  It's probably for security rather than friendship, but they do seem to know when a hen is ill.  Again this could be a security ploy too -  "If I sit with sick hen when foxy comes it will get sick hen as she can't run as fast as me."

alan42

• Experienced Member
surprising behaviour
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 14:18 »
also dont forget upon the death of a hen or there removal the pecking order changes she just got promoted so shes showing her dominance.
alan

xx
Good and surprising news about Gracie!!!

Started by jinty1911 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post March 06, 2011, 22:01
by ManicMum
xx
Behaviour

Started by SurreyLass on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 02, 2011, 18:26
by SurreyLass
xx
Behaviour

Started by Springlands on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 08, 2012, 20:55
by Springlands
xx
behaviour ???

Started by dawnie77 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 30, 2011, 16:04
by SoniaBA

Page created in 0.255 seconds with 28 queries.