Seed potato size

• 16 Replies

hogwarden

Re: Seed potato size
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2011, 08:32 »
 8)Now this is going to create a real Anorak impression but I did count and weigh my `seeds`last year just so I could guage numbers/plot size etc. I found you get about 10 to 13 potatoes per Kilo so easier to estimate space/rows buying by weight-and those figures seem to hold pretty well across a range of types until the Vales Emerald arrived!
I had 20 per Kilo as they were so small and felt a bit miffed-BUT they have produced an amazing crop per seed and have spuds galore as I forced extra space to plant the lot-almost twice as many as planned for, and  very happy neighbours too :D -I m not sure size does matter here :nowink:

Vit

• Experienced Member
Re: Seed potato size
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2011, 12:52 »
This spring i planted 22-24/kg size and got about 6-7kg(planted in 2 batches with about 2 weeks difference and on different soil) out of each kilo. Job done chemical-free. This is not the top rate, but for  my plot is not bad  :D
 Main problem - here more common big size potato seeds, well, local supplier forcing me to buy 8-10/kg size and cut them  :blush:  and "magic powder" to protect cuts, which is not free  >:(
Hopefully i can get needed amount from place, where i bought seeds in the spring. Next step is to get my own seeds in 24-28/kg size and use lots of compost to improve soil.
Oh, i will be appreciated to collect some statistics
1)size of seeds number/kg
2)outcome kg per kilo seeds(count any size, which you took from field)

Thanks in advance

xx
Seed potato size

Started by morganh on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 09, 2012, 07:13
by sunshineband
xx
Seed potato size?

Started by Nobbie on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post January 16, 2014, 20:09
by Mark's Sussex Allotment
xx
Best size potato growing bag and how many seed potatoes per bag

Started by Marijke Jones on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post September 01, 2022, 19:05
by Yorkie
xx
What size for a potato bed ?

Started by purron on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 03, 2008, 23:21
by Rampant_Weasel

Page created in 0.93 seconds with 28 queries.