Digging in compost

• 10 Replies

heygrow

• Experienced Member
Digging in compost
« on: December 29, 2010, 09:21 »
Now that it is warming up a bit and hopefully the soil is a bit more diggable, can I get some advise on digging in compost.

I did not get around to put compost on my veg plot earlier, but have a fair amount (that has a good proportion of composted chicken manure) from earlier in the year that I want to use.

What is the right time to dig in (latest I should do this)? I intend to dig over the plots ready to plant runner beans, potatoes, lettuce, raddish, beetroot, etc.  Also is it good to put compost down on my raspberry canes (Autumn fruiting)?

Any advice on this subject my appreciated.

Thanks.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Digging in compost
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 09:40 »
Anytime is better than no time in my book, providing any manure in the compost is well rotted.

It's fine to use it as a mulch on your raspberries and when it comes to beans & spuds, rather than generally dig it in, lay it down in a trench where you are speifically going to plant.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

heygrow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 20:42 »
Thanks Digger Dave for the advice. Chicken manure is well rotted.

Is there any veg that don't like composted soil? I've a thought in my mind that certain root vegs like beets or is it cabbage types that don't like composted soil?

Do you think I should compost the salad plot (lettuce, radish, beet and spring onions)?

Thanks again.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 20:51 »
Root veg like carrots and parsnips are not too keen, but you may be OK  if yours is well rotted. They don't really need it anyway, so if the supply is limited, use it where it's needed.

Zippy

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 10:18 »
Shoit on top and let the worms earn their keep - unless you're worried about fellow plotholders scooping it off!  :lol:

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 10:23 »
Having missed the autumn, I'd have thought they'd be fairly inactive now and not do a lot before spring.

Zippy

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 23:58 »
What - the fellow plot holders or the worms?

Actually I agree DD. If you are wanting earthworms to do their bit, autumn is best. I can't believe I am actually going to advise digging on this occasion!

Chicken Pete

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2010, 16:57 »
I do what you have been mentioning i.e spread rotted manure over dug ground in the Autumn,let this seetle over the winter and am just beginning to think about digging the manure in 1 spade depth( funny how the back ache appears and I am still in the armchair!!!).

I have found this really helps the peas,cabbage and cauli's so the pain is worth it in the end.

Happy new year to everyone and wishing you all a fruitful growing year ahead :) :) :) :)

kenny199

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010, 18:44 »
It is funny that when you are eating peas off the vine the pain seems to disappear.Per haps we ought to get on to the medical people saying that eating vegetables off the plot are a kind of pain relief.Happy new year every body.
To err is human, to arr is pirate

heygrow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2010, 21:29 »
Well I turned over the soil today as it was quite warm and the ground was soft. I have put the compost all over on top at the moment (now my back aches!).

So I suppose if those worms are not moving I will have to go and dig it in sometime soon (I'll wait for my back to settle first). I did see a few worms when I dug it over and the chickens were having a great time picking them out as I did all the work for them. They did not seem inactive, but 'hey', how do you tell if a worm is active ???

Happy New Year!

willowman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2011, 07:40 »
heygrow - I don't know how to tell if a worm is active, BUT  I do know how to tell one end of a worm from the other.
You put it in a bowl of flour and wait for it to break wind!!!
(Thanks to Derek and Clive aka Pete and Dud)
I started out with nothing.....and I've still got most of it.

xx
Somethings keeps digging out my compost

Started by Craig69 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 24, 2012, 07:26
by sunshineband
xx
digging hoe, which one? and why?

Started by vixen on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 25, 2011, 14:18
by TerryB
xx
Help with digging please?

Started by Elcie on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 17, 2009, 21:51
by Elcie
xx
Been digging

Started by crowndale on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 07, 2007, 21:04
by The Thin Blue Line

Page created in 0.308 seconds with 28 queries.