potato eelworm

• 1 Replies

oborne27

potato eelworm
« on: December 26, 2010, 21:06 »
Hi all,
does anyone know how to get rid of potato eelworm. I have had it this year on my allotment for the first time. Never seen it before this year and it ruined all of my spuds. Apart from rotation is there anything I can do as I'll be planting 2011's spuds soon. I'm not woried about growing organically or anything like that , so chemicals are not a problem for me.
any thoughts
thanks geoff

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: potato eelworm
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 10:57 »
Have to ask whether you are absolutely sure it is eelworm?

If the tubers themselves had holes in it was most unlikely to be caused by eelworm, which produce tiny cysts on the roots (and sometimes also on the tubers) causing the plants to weaken and die prematurely, with a much reduced crop depending on how long the plant managed to survive.

If it is eelworm then you have a problem (so do I!) because the cysts remain viable for up to ten years, there is no chemical control available to amateur growers and although I have seen some reports of certain plants being sown to "trick" the cysts into germinating and then dying due to lack of their proper host, I can't say I've found the evidence convincing.

Rotation will help a bit, but all you can really do is to either use a new patch of ground, or plant potato varieties with some resistance to eelworm (they're not immune, but manage to hang on better than others!)

That helps a bit, the only other good bit of news is that in my experience the damage seems to be worse in patches rather than consistently deadly throughout the entire crop.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
eelworm

Started by ulsterfairy on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post August 08, 2011, 19:11
by ulsterfairy
xx
Can anyone tell me about eelworm?

Started by debih on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 05, 2011, 07:56
by debih
xx
eelworm killer

Started by muntjac on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post September 17, 2007, 12:42
by WG.
clip
Onion stem eelworm

Started by sunshineband on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 26, 2016, 16:40
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.549 seconds with 37 queries.