Best place to buy cheap seeds?

• 34 Replies

rowlandwells

Re: Best place to buy cheap seeds?
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2010, 09:10 »
Hi DD iv been using Moles for many years now and have.t had any problems with there seed and they are always obliging  :happy:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2010, 09:42 »
They really do take a lot of beating for value.

Another for instance: I grow about 100 sweetcorn plants each year. I can get a packet of 250 seed for just £2.30. T & M are £2.19 for 30 of the same variety (F1 Lark).

8 packets to give 240 seed would cost  £17.52 as opposed to the £2.30 and I'd still be 10 seeds short! Moles also do not charge postage on small seed.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Chicken Pete

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2010, 12:40 »
Is Moles a local supplier? if so where as I have never come across the name.
This year I ordered my seeds from Tucker's which were about 10p more expensive the Kings but had atleast 20/30% more seeds in packet.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2010, 12:43 »
On line only, they deliver very quickly and don't charge postage for small seeds.

http://www.molesseeds.co.uk/

gypsy

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2010, 15:21 »
I bought some from Lidl,some worked some did not, Chard and Runner beans were fab, peas not so good.
I think it must be partly luck as I had lidl peas and they were a fantastic crop
Catherine

Malturn

• Pens and Platters
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2010, 18:45 »
Have you tried here http://www.simplyseed.co.uk/ they do good seed at areasonable price and only 99p postage on any amount.

Malcolm
The worm that turned

Christine

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2010, 11:00 »
If you have access to a gardeners or allotment association you may well be able to pick up good standard seeds at a discount.

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2010, 08:51 »
I've posted this onto Frugal Living, but Wyevale currently have all seeds 50% off.
Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

Nige2Plots

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2010, 09:07 »
I'm surprised that no one has said yet, that the cheepest seeds you can get are the ones you save yourself! I know that is not implied in the thread title.

asd1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2010, 20:24 »
bbc dig in also give out free seeds every year

paintedlady

« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2010, 06:23 »
Watch out for RHS trials when they send the seed for free - but you'll also have to follow their growing instructions and obviously let them know the results!  Last year they also gave a few seeds away to encourage people to gyo but you got what was given ... so if you already had seeds, you might have got duplicates which you could always give or swap with others. 

Moles are definitely good value for bulk seeds but watch out for the peas and bean seeds as you do get stung with a p&p cost.  That goes for a lot of online suppliers, especially the more popular big ones but T&M sometimes do special offers which are occasionally worth looking at. 

Open pollinated and heirloom varieties are by far cheaper than F1 hybrid BTW   ;)
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2010, 06:54 »
With pea & bean seed, you have to take the overall picture into account. I don't want to bore you with the full math, so please take my word for this. I took a "for instance" of .5 kilo (a lot of seed!) of Kelvedon Wonder peas.

From Moles I could buy it as half a kilo. Kings Seed needed 6 packets, T & M, 5.

T & M £15.74
Kings £9.38
Moles £6.75

I'm fortunate enough to have a local nursery where I can buy loose. At £3.99 a kilo, this would have cost me £2, so it's worth investigating if you have one nearby.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2010, 09:22 »
Open pollinated and heirloom varieties are by far cheaper than F1 hybrid BTW   ;)

You have to be careful where you buy them from..........some companies seem to be charging  premium prices for these, simply because they use the magic word 'heirloom' which some people think is better ;) (only trial and error will prove whether you agree :) )

kenny199

« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2010, 21:10 »
Just had a nose in the catalogues on two items ,Parsnips & Carrots,The companies were Thompson& Morgan And Kings.Parsnips Tender& True£1.89 550 seeds TM,£1.10 800 seedsK,,Carrots,Autumn King 2000 seeds £1.89 TM,2000 seeds£1.00 K.By buying from kings you would save £1.68 on TWO packets of seeds.I do not know how there can be such a difference in price on the same seeds.Both veg have been going for a long time so that there cannot be Plant Breeders Rights on them still.There is a problem for us Lotties choosing ,wether we go for a very well known brand,T&M or any other.I will be voting with my wallet and going where the seeds are cheaper.I do not believe there is that amount of difference in quality in veg seed.most of my seed were bought at Lidl this year at short notice,small seed 29 p apacket for small seeds,49 p for larger seeds,Which makes both of those companies look stupid
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 21:14 by kenny199 »
To err is human, to arr is pirate

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2010, 21:22 »
As I posted earlier - you must have missed it.

Moles 20,000 - yes twenty thousand Autumn King for £2.60.

No postage.

Beat that for value.

Also see the Kings/ T & M/Moles comparison I took the trouble to post 3 up.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 21:29 by DD. »

xx
Seeds on Ebay shop - cheap cheap for good quality ...

Started by gavinjconway on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post September 28, 2011, 20:55
by radiohead
xx
best place for cheap moisture retaining mats?

Started by polly nator on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 23, 2008, 22:08
by jennyb
xx
best place for seeds.

Started by babe on Grow Your Own

44 Replies
Last post January 07, 2008, 01:44
by ditchdigger
xx
Best place to buy organic seeds?

Started by yandoo on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 22, 2009, 14:59
by yandoo

Page created in 0.575 seconds with 39 queries.