Broody Hen

• 20 Replies

flocko

Broody Hen
« on: July 30, 2007, 11:53 »
Can anyone please give me some advise on a broody hen.We have four hens who all use the same nest box to lay their eggs in even though there are five to choose from.
The problem we have is that one hen has gone broody and the other chickens are still laying in the same nest box pushing her out of the way,she is very agitated and sits on all of the eggs.

I have just purchased some fertile eggs on Ebay for her to sit on. Do I leave her where she is and move the other chickens or do I move her.
Any advise would be appreciated.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Broody Hen
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 12:07 »
Welcome to the site flocko

I've no personal experience of hatching eggs but I do know that you should separate your hen to brood eggs in her own accommodation and small pen.

There are many members on this site who are experienced [chicken] breeders and will be able to give you their best advice  :D

This might help in the meantime:

http://feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKBroody.html

chelle

Broody Hen
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 13:34 »
Hi flocko, welcome, im no eggspert, but i also had a broody sitting for 4 days on some marked eggs, also got eggs off ebay arrived today, when i moved her she wouldnt sit at all and is now back with the rest of the clang, maybe i moved her too soon and it was daylight, maybe should have waited until night, just pleased i didnt put the fertile eggs under her, so in the incubator they go

alan42

• Experienced Member
Broody Hen
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 14:13 »
when i have this situation i move the bird to where i want her with the eggs i want her to sit i have made sure she defenatly wants to sit first, i move her and then place a board or something that will keep her sat on the eggs ie if its a cardboard box i will fasten her in it nice and dark and warm so she should calm down and sit within a few hours i keep her like this for no more than 24 hours she will come to no harm i then remove the board whatever and let her do her thing she will probably come out drink poo and eat then hopefully go back to the eggs. if she doesent go back on her own i will repeat the proces if she doesent go back to the eggs after the second attempt i take it she doesent want to sit and leave her alone.
hope that helps.
alan

flocko

Broody Hen
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 14:39 »
Thank you all for your hints and tips.
Hubby is now busily making separate accomodation for her.I will move her into it tonight and keep my fingers crossed.The eggs I have purchased from Ebay will hopefully arrive tomorrow and I will swap her egg (maybe more by tomorrow) for those. I believe you have to let them rest for 24 hours before placing them under the chicken.

Hopefully she will hatch these and we can look forward to some lovely Brahma chickens. Will keep you posted. Thanks again.

alan42

• Experienced Member
Broody Hen
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 12:47 »
yes let them rest first at room temp before setting.
alan

flocko

Broody Hen
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 18:28 »
Just to update the hen is now sitting on six eggs ,we let them stand for 24hrs and all is fine .Just one thing when we changed the eggs over she had a little food and drink but has not come off the eggs again, will we need to take her off the eggs to ensure she eats?
Anyone who has had this experience any advise would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Broody Hen
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 19:04 »
yes do make sure she leaves the nest each day for food water and poo.  She will stay off the nest for about 15-20 mins.

alan42

• Experienced Member
Broody Hen
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2007, 16:16 »
yes defenatly make her get of once a day she can do her buisnes and you can check for broken eggs as it does happen, she must eat and drink some birds sit so tight they dehidrate themselfs to death.
alan

flocko

Broody Hen
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2007, 19:47 »
The news today is she has eaten and drunk plenty and had the smelliest foulest poo, her first since Monday, I hope they all dont smell like that cos I'm gonna need a stronger stomache.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Broody Hen
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2007, 21:01 »
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  They will  :roll:

muntjac

Broody Hen
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2007, 21:02 »
poo ,they will give her some fresh green chickweed as a treat when she wants to come and eat it she will .. as for what alan says id agree ,except ... id close her in the box she started brooding  in ,the other birds will lay in the others  :wink:
still alive /............

alan42

• Experienced Member
Broody Hen
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2007, 17:34 »
yes i would agree to what you say muntjac but i still found the ocasional hen still went in and layed so i had to mark the eggs and remove all the new ones i just found it easier to know that no hens could add to the clutch. but its everyone to there own.
alan

flocko

Broody Hen
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2007, 10:27 »
Tomorrow the hen would have been sitting on the eggs for 1 week, all seems to be going well she's a very good mum. We get her out twice a day for something to eat and drink(she doesn't eat or drink very much at one go) she poos every third day(boy do they stink  :mrgreen:)  and will only stay out for about 5 minutes before she starts getting agitated and wants to get back on the eggs.
I only hope these eggs are fertile, should we candle them on Friday(which is the tenth day) or should we just leave well alone and let nature take its course? I know I'm gonna be gutted if we get no chicks, I feel like a child waiting for Christmas (silly I know)

muntjac

Broody Hen
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2007, 10:39 »
leave em be ,,,,,,, you can still get more eggs if you want  and have the chicks afore Christmas  i have had chicks born in the snow in an old push mower grass collector ololand they all survived . the birds know better than we ever will :wink:

xx
eating fertile eggs from under a broody!! and general broody questions

Started by frenchliving on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 13, 2012, 20:58
by ANHBUC
xx
Sorry ANOTHER broody question (that's BROODY not B*oody)

Started by Fifitrix on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 07, 2009, 10:36
by Fifitrix
xx
how and do ? hybrids (brown hen) go broody how can you get them broody ?

Started by alotment shed on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 22, 2009, 09:13
by too many girls
xx
Stopping a broody being broody

Started by redlandschooks on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post June 16, 2013, 20:10
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.241 seconds with 37 queries.