Twice in a day

• 6 Replies

Crusty

Twice in a day
« on: December 23, 2010, 14:50 »
I've got a (hybrid) hen that ever since she started laying actually gets earlier each day, meaning she carries on laying all through the night until it's gets back to daylight hours again.

This would obviously mean that at some stage she would have to lay 2 eggs in a day, but due to numerous reasons I've never been able to confirm this before today, due to all the hens currently being layers, the nest boxes being cleaned out, and having one more egg than hens.

Is this that unusual? I've was worried she was going to wear herself out, but she just keeps on laying, never missing a day.

dennis

• Experienced Member
Re: Twice in a day
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 18:35 »
no i've had 2 eggs off one hen before now its to do with the egg cycle is with  the individual hen she will be ok  :)

massa

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 10:54 »
correct me if im wrong anyone more knowledgeable than me but i think a hen cycles an egg every 23 hours so occasionally you may get two in one day as you have done crusty.

dennis

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 11:06 »
i think its a 3 day cycle (69hrs) from start of production to the egg
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 23:38 by dennis »

Crusty

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 18:35 »
correct me if im wrong anyone more knowledgeable than me but i think a hen cycles an egg every 23 hours so occasionally you may get two in one day as you have done crusty.

All the others I've had seem to think it's supposed to be 24+ hours, so they get the ocassional 'day off'.

This one's on something like a strict 23hr cycle, so she's laying right through the night (onto the poo tray from on the perch), getting earlier and earlier through the night until she's back on day shift again, and never having a day off is producing more eggs per annum than there's days in the year and has been doing this for over a year.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 18:37 by Crusty »

Totty

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2010, 22:06 »
I have two white stars that both seem to be doing that. I also have a silkie, jersey giant and gold laced orpington, the stars are the only white egg layers and always give me at least one each a day, as they all do even in this winter.

I work long hours so the birds are let out at five in the morning and there is often a white egg, they are then shut away at eight at night and about three weeks ago i found 4!! white eggs and 3 brown in one day. I was gobsmacked. Luck of the draw and timing i guess.

Cant beat the hybrids eh!

Totty

dennis

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 15:18 »
 :)i got some books in the sales after Christmas in them is the  production of the eggs
it takes 3weeks for the ovum to get to maturity it then drops into the egg tunnel it then goes through several processes before popping out as an egg that part of the journey takes 25/26hrs
happy new year

Page created in 0.678 seconds with 36 queries.