Concerned...Shivering Chicken?

• 10 Replies

kirstie1978

Concerned...Shivering Chicken?
« on: December 23, 2010, 10:34 »
I'm a little bit worried about my Light Sussex, Mo. She's started shivering at the moment with the cold weather and doesn't appear to be herself today. They're not really eating too much like they used to, i have heard conflicting stories about heating and decided against it as apparently it can be worse for them. She has just started sneezing occasionally and i am just wondering if there's anything i can do. Her and the Silkie were born in about September time, along with Wonky the duckling, who i know they both miss. She's alot bigger naturally but appears to be suffering more. They didn't leave their house or run (they have free roam of the garden during the day) when we had all the snow the second time and I just hoped someone might have an idea. They spend the day out and about or huddled up outside my back door. I am tempted to bring them indoors, although that would generate mayhem! I'm just worried as she's not happy and appears to be walking funny, but i'm not sure how much of that is due to the cold.
Any ideas or suggestions are welcomed.
Many thanks
Kirstie

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Concerned...Shivering Chicken?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 10:42 »
any chest rattling, bubbly nostrils or eyes? Sniff her breath and see what it smells like.
Chickens don't get colds like us but they are prone to respiritory infections.
Staffies are softer than you think.

kirstie1978

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 11:17 »
no she sounds fine, a small drop of 'snot' on her beak from her nares but otherwise all sounds fine, just the behaviour and the shivering that's concerning me :o(

helens-hens

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 11:23 »
Hi Kirstie. Have you tried enticing them with some porridge made with pellets & hot water? I give this to mine first thing in the morning and also late afternoon if it is forecast to be very cold. They seem to love this and importantly its getting some proper food into them. Sometimes I also add a sprinkling of corn or porridge oats and occasionally a pinch of poultry spice or garlic. My hens are very reluctant to go out into the snow as well and prefer to stay in their run or even retire early to the hen house! I have put a couple of tarpaulins over their roof and put cardboard & extra bedding in the house to try & insulate them.

When you say your hen is walking funny, can you describe?
Helen

kirstie1978

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 12:34 »
She seems hesitant to put her foot down, i wasn't sure if it was to do with the cold initially. her legs are shaking, like shivering and she doesn't seem happy. She's just started walking with what looks like a limp now, so i'm not sure if perhaps it's a bit sore... i have looked at it and although red and cold she doesn't appear to flinch when touching it, although she doesn't like being handled at the moment, which she did until about a week ago! I can't have another leg problem after loosing Wonky because of his.... eek! :o(

helens-hens

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 14:21 »
Does the problem seem to be in 1 leg or both? My 2 have occasionally been standing holding 1 foot up (presumably to warm it) and one of them seems to be more vulnerable to the cold than the other. They were both clambering over my hand yesterday (getting in the way when I was cleaning them out!) and I noticed that she was shaking slightly though the other hen wasn't. I'm still new at all this but it seems to me that your hen may simply be feeling the cold a bit. Perhaps try her with some warm food (e.g. pellet mash) and make sure there is plenty of bedding down. Is there shelter in the run and anything down it (I was thinking of somewhere where she could stand / lie which is dry and protected from the worst of the weather? Hope this helps and she improves.

kirstie1978

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 18:06 »
Both legs are shivering, but it's one she seems hesitant to stand on and kind of limps now. I will see how she is tomorrow, fingers crossed she was just having a bad day and perhaps twinged it on something? It was the shivering that was the main concern and the lack of eating, but i will try your recommendation. I'm not sure what age they can start eating corn? but if that'll help i'm game to try it!

gibbo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2010, 19:57 »
Sounds like she may be cold i agree.  Try some warm porridge with a lttle corn mixed in, mine go mad for the stuff.  I started giving my hens a little corn at about 7 weeks old.  At first they wouldnt eat it but after a couple of weeks they realised they enjoyed the stuff and would hear me coming in the afternoon with their treat and wait at the gate!  Also try putting some extra bedding in their house.  Mine stayed in their house all day on one of the really cold days.  I also noticed they hate walking on the frosty / snowy ground, so i put straw down on the ground and they love it!  Even found them having a dust bath amongst the straw yesterday. 

Hope ya girl feels betta soon.

kirstie1978

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2010, 20:01 »
I've started giving them the porridge type thing with corn which she seems to eat, and extra straw too.  She's acting all dizzy now! A bit like she's been on the vino... I brought her indoors for a few mins and she appeared to be coughing although her breathing sounds clear. She has a massive crop too so I'm really not sure what's going on with her. I'm going to see what it's like tomorrow but I'm wondering if it's impacted and she's a bit dehydrated perhaps? She's got a limp too but clearly isn't right, so might well be a trip to the vets Monday :o( anyone ever come across such bizarre symptoms?

gibbo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2010, 20:18 »
Does her crop feel hard or is it just full of food?  Could try a little cod liver oil.  But if in doubt a chat with a chicken freindly vet is always a good thing.  I did the same a few days ago as one of my hens was making a strange noise almost as if she was laying an egg (but hasnt started laying yet!) but the noise came with every breath she took and she would cough aswell.  The vet said it was prob the weather and gave me some antibioics, but the next day she was fine.  Wish she had told me she was only foolin me before i spent out on the AB's that i didnt even need!! 

kirstie1978

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2010, 22:00 »
She's not eaten much recently but did today so am going to check in the morning before I give them their food to check. Failing that I think I will talk to the vet as I will probably have to see him anyway as my parrots poorly still! Not having a good run of it with my birds at the moment as lost 2 in the aviary too!! I will see how she is but have a feeling a vet trip might be worth it.

xx
Should I be concerned...

Started by devonbarmygardener on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post April 20, 2013, 21:57
by devonbarmygardener
xx
Bit concerned

Started by ben89 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 20, 2011, 20:26
by Casey76
xx
concerned about my hen

Started by brickwood on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 19, 2011, 18:07
by Helenaj
xx
concerned

Started by chickadee on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post August 11, 2008, 14:28
by chickadee

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 29 queries.