Ok to relocate to greenhouse?

• 4 Replies

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
Ok to relocate to greenhouse?
« on: December 20, 2010, 12:28 »
I currently have 9 girls living in a 6'x4'ark with a covered area downstairs and living area upstairs. It also has 2 adjoining outer runs, one of 5'x4', the other of 6'x4', normally plenty of room for them all but with the amount of snow we've had today I was wondering if it would be better to move them all into my 10'x6' greenhouse which would give them a drier sheltered area to live in til this all blows over. It's not a heated house and has a raised bed along one side which they already use as a winter dust bath and they could probably perch on the edge. There's also a 3-tier pot stand they could probably perch on. I'm sure it wouldn't take too long to set up a nesting box, especially if I can get the quarantine house thru the door!
If this would be suitable would it be ok to just leave it as clear glass or do you think throwing some shading netting over would give better visual security?
Cheers, Anne.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Ok to relocate to greenhouse?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 13:42 »
i would say it's ok for in the daytime but would get too cold at night if they are used to a proper ark.
Staffies are softer than you think.

alancane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 14:33 »
I think it sounds fine where they are at the moment. The birds are quite hardy and with 9 of them huddled up, you will be surprised what the temperature is that they can keep up.
I definately think they are in a good place now. Give them some warm mash in the mornings, just to keep them going as well.  :-)
Alan

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 14:49 »
I still have 14 living in the trees - some are sensible and have taken refuge in the laurels but others are living in trees with no leaves on and in the morning they have frost on their feathers but they are still all wandering around at 7 in the morning waiting at the back door for their warm porridge (I let them have quite a few beak-fulls before letting the others out of their coops  :D

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 15:39 »
Thanks for the advice. I've let them out into the garden to stretch their wings for a bit then I'll gather them back to the ark for tonight. Now that the snow has stopped and it's no longer driving into the runs it doesn't seem so bad for them. I guess I was being a bit of an old mother hen, but better safe than sorry.
I've been giving them chopped up cooked peelings mixed with a bit of porridge & mealworms, that seems to keep them happy!  :happy:

xx
Elle inspects my handiwork in greenhouse

Started by Fat Hen on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 18, 2008, 17:15
by Fat Hen
xx
bantam in the greenhouse update now with pics

Started by naturesparadise on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 07, 2008, 20:15
by nettynoodles1

Page created in 0.449 seconds with 37 queries.