Apple tree in my bathroom

• 8 Replies

TheSpartacat

Apple tree in my bathroom
« on: December 18, 2010, 23:02 »
My question is: how long can a bare rooted apple tree survive hanging around waiting to get planted?
All the guides I've read say to avoid planting when there's a frost. Well, i've had frost for a few weeks now, and my dear apple tree is getting shunted from room to room. I've put damp shredded paper around the roots, but worrying about it. Don't have any shed to put it in, so worrying about the central heating turning it into a bit of a softie...

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Apple tree in my bathroom
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 23:21 »
Winter is not the time to be planting apple trees.   Late autumn or early sping is best.

I would plant it into a pot in some John Innes compost and keep it indoors for a few days while you find a friend with a conservatory to look after it for a couple of months before you can plant it out.

TheSpartacat

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 23:34 »
It didnt arrive until November and we'd had lousy weather since then (from Suttons) so they didnt give me much choice  ::) The RHS site says plant from late Autumn to early Spring. Will it definitely die if i move it outdoors as soon as we get a break in the ice and snow??

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 13:04 »
It's a gamble I guess.  I'd wait until the ground is not frozen before planting them out.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 14:06 by Aunt Sally »

Zippy

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 15:16 »
This is on another thread at the moment but I decided to pot the trees into large pots (large enough to pack the roots with 4 inches between the roots and the pot sides for insulation and moisture) and keep them in the unheated garage until early next year.

There are no leaves or buds as yet and while they are dormant and too cold to sprout they should be ok in the subdued light.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 17:33 »
Good decision Zippy :)

RichardA

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 08:35 »
Happened to me a year or so ago in December. I bought some cheap trugs, and mix my left over multipurpose compost with some gravel and potted the trees and kept with slightly damp soil in a cold greenhouse. Then I planted them properly in about early March when conditions of ground better. Lot of effort but out of 12 trees (apple, pear and plum) I only lost one plum. Ken Muir the supplier replaced it free of charge.
The year after I had about 4 more from them and conditions were good so planted directly and now you would never tell the difference.
Just be very careful not to treat the tree too well or will come on to fast and then be shocked when planted out again. Alternatively keep in pot for a season and plant out in November next year.
Best of luck
R

stompy

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 12:25 »
I would plant it in a pot and keep it in an unheated greenhouse or garage until the end of feb, then put it out on the plot, the hardest frosts should have gone by then.
I made the mistake of keeping one of mine in the greenhouse too long and it began to shoot too early and the shoots got hit by a late frost and the tree never recovered.
It's a fine line as you don't want the roots/pot to freeze but you don't want it to start to shoot too early due to the warmth or the greenhouse/garage.

TheSpartacat

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 16:58 »
Thanks for all the advice everyone. It's still in my (very) unheated bathroom... it's getting a pot this evening with some nice compost... (well, a potato planter sack-thingamy-bob) and will stay there until it warms up out there.
Don't know anyone with a conservatory and I'm not trusting my tent polytunnel on the plot to not blow away while i cant keep an eye on it!

My OH is very patient with my "taking the plot" home... only in my house is an apple tree in the bathroom normal (as long as he doesnt hang a towel on it!, it'll hopefully be fine!!)  :D

xx
Small damsel tree and apple tree

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 19, 2022, 11:41
by mdjlucan
xx
Staking a new apple tree (and a new damson tree)

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 30, 2010, 15:12
by Yorkie
xx
Apple tree and apple help...

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 26, 2008, 09:45
by SG6
xx
Help with Apple Tree Please

Started by SCassin on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 12, 2013, 07:13
by diospyros

Page created in 0.73 seconds with 37 queries.