MOULTING CHOOKS - NOW???!!!??

• 10 Replies

littlewitch

MOULTING CHOOKS - NOW???!!!??
« on: December 16, 2010, 12:20 »
Hi & Seasons Greetings  :D  to one & all, not visited for some time but do hope you're all well & coping with the rotten weather that's been around (& from looks of it is returning). Problem I've got at moment is that NOW does seem to be a really stupid time for chooks to moult   ??? - a couple did start to moult back in sept/oct and most seemed to shed a few feathers then but one in particular is now shedding so much she has bald patch on her back & also round her rump area whilst another has lost her beautiful tail (she's a leghorn) and is looking quite tatty as well.  Now whilst I realise that as this is their first moult (have has them 18mths since they were approx 16/18wks old), was under the impression that moulting should be over & done with, so do I need to give additional supplements (other than those they already get e.g. chicken spice, ACV) or should i make coats like those used for rescued batts or just let nature take its course?  Have upped amount of bedding in their coop so that they're warm at night and fortunately to date we've missed out on all the white stuff - just masses of white feathers!

taz4711

Re: MOULTING CHOOKS - NOW???!!!??
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 14:10 »
I was about to ask the same question so will just keep an eye on this post. My 2 hens are moulting quite heavily - started about 3 days ago. They are ex battery hens. Have had them about 18 months and they are about 3yo

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 20:05 »
I don't give them anything extra - I let them moult in their own time but I know others do give them extra protein, acv or poultry spice.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Biguba

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 21:28 »
Let nature takes It's course. Sometimes they know what to do

evie2

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 22:49 »
Chickens are strange wee things, suppose that's where the phrase, 'chicken brain' comes from :lol:

May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

Penny Finn

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 10:15 »
I'm watching these posts too as my three chickens have suddenly lost all their rear end feathers - overnight!  Should we be worried about it or will they just grow back.  They look very sad!
Gardening Granny

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 10:45 »
assuming they haven't got mites or lice or are being plucked by another chicken they will grow back  :)

littlewitch

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 11:17 »
Ah well - suppose it had to catch up here - the cold white stuff has landed with a vengeance (at least it hides all the feathers) - but it took our 5 chooks quite a while to venture out of their cozy house to eat their warm porridge, all we could hear for almost an hour was protestations from them after the first poked her head out, saw all the snow and promptly disappeared back inside whilst sounding as if she was scolding us (well of course it was all our fault that their run didn't look quite the same as when they'd gone to bed!).
Still, musn't complain when the rest of you have had it for quite some time - think we've been very lucky to last this long without it.
Anyway, thanks to all of you who have taken time to post replies about our 'daft chooks', hope you all have a very Merry Christmas and a good New Year.   :D   :D   :D

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2010, 11:47 »
I have three bare bottoms running around at the moment, I have checked for mites etc and reckon its moulting time.
I do give them some Battles poultry drink, not sure if it helps but they like it so they get it, plus I have bought it now.
Strangley tho, they are still producing eggs, I was expecting them to be off lay now but they are happily leaving me pressies every day.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

chook mother

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2010, 19:55 »
Mine have also just started moulting feathers everywhere and its so cold here why do they choose now I feel so sorry for the in the cold without them loosing their feathers, how can we improve the insulation in their coop at night, I have put more bedding on the floor, just getting 1 egg a day from 3 chickens, do they always moult in the winter?

Brushcutter

• Andrews Decorating
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2010, 21:05 »
I wouldnt worry about extra insulation as long as the coop isnt draughty, it needs ventilation of course, but not like a wind tunnel!
When i first gave one of my chooks a bath, i was supprised how long it took to blow dry her before putting her outside. Those feathers can trap some serious air, chickens are naturally very well insulated.

xx
Chooks Moulting

Started by dakota on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post June 04, 2008, 22:53
by peggyprice
xx
Chooks or 'Not fair' chooks ??

Started by Mega on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 04, 2010, 20:55
by Bantymad
xx
Anything I should know about Moulting?

Started by Flowerpower136 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 18, 2009, 16:31
by Flowerpower136
xx
moulting

Started by matty42 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post January 04, 2010, 13:24
by interlocutor

Page created in 0.45 seconds with 37 queries.