Getting Turkeys ready for Christmas

• 55 Replies

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Getting Turkeys ready for Christmas
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2010, 22:10 »
These pics are white turkeys Massa, yours are bronze's aren't they?  Our bronzes still have tiny black stubs in.  Makes them look like they've got blackheads doesn't it?  Sometimes you can get them out, but they still leave in some black liquid like you get in octopus, but don't worry about it.  Unless you were to wet pluck and wax them, it is very hard to remove!

massa

• Experienced Member
« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2010, 10:50 »
yes they are bronze! ill leave them then just wanted to know if id done anythink wrong! thanks again Grannie aninie

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2010, 13:30 »
A little while ago, Roger the retired Smithfields butcher arrived for his eggs.  We showed him the bronze turkeys and mentioned the black bits, and he said you will find most of that is actually the liquid from the feather colouring, and won't notice much once your turkey is cooked!

So don't you worry about it!  They will taste wonderful!!! :happy: :happy:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2010, 14:33 »
We have just eaten one of your turkeys Grannie Annie and just have to say it was lovely, thank you very much  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2010, 20:09 »
Thanks Joy!  But it was the white one wasn't it?  So no worries about the black stubs!!! lol

And of course, you being a good cook helps your turkey taste lovely!    :)

(I know, I'm a creep!)   :D :D

hillfooter

« Reply #50 on: December 25, 2010, 05:24 »
We always have our Christmas dinner on Christmas Eve and we cooked our largest White Plumpy stag or rather we cooked the crown as it was 26lbs and wouldn't fit in the oven so we had to remove the legs and wings.   Even then the brest weighed 14lbs .  I must say it was superb.  We had the complete family round for dinner and Clare our eldest daughter, not known for understatement, declared it the best turkey she had ever tasted, and it wasn't cooked by Joyfull either :lol:.  Seven of us and we only managed just over a quarter of the brest so there's plenty left and I've a feeling we'll be eating turkey for a while yet ;)

The 3 Stags were 26lbs, 23lbs and 20lbs and the hens 13.5lbs, 12lbs and 11 lbs oven ready.
Merry Christmas
HF
Truth through science.

Tigerwren

• Experienced Member
« Reply #51 on: December 25, 2010, 16:32 »
That's pretty impressive HF!  Definitely a happy Christmas at yours then ;)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #52 on: December 25, 2010, 16:48 »
so are you going to have turkeys off Grannie Annie to rear again next year HF? The weights were very impressive  :D

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #53 on: December 25, 2010, 17:20 »
Yeah, what did you feed them on Terry?  Our biggest one was 10kgs or 22lb dead weight!

I'm going to retire!!!    :( :( :(

hillfooter

« Reply #54 on: December 25, 2010, 18:59 »
Yeah, what did you feed them on Terry?  Our biggest one was 10kgs or 22lb dead weight!

I'm going to retire!!!    :( :( :(

When you say dead weight I assume you mean oven ready?

I fed them on Mariages Turkey Crumbs to 6 weeks and added a multivit to their water for about 3 weeks, then turkey growers virtually to slaughter with only the last week and one other on Finishers.  I had intended to switch them to Finishers at 14 weeks for the last 5 weeks but due to a misunderstanding with my feed mechants I only fed finishers for one week 14 - 15 weeks and then my order of Finishers hadn't come in so they had a week on Farmgate Turkey Growers. Then when my feed merchant order came in it was Growers instead of Finishers so they had 3 more weeks on Marriages Growers to eighteen weeks and then only the last week on Marriages Finishers before slaughter.

Otherwise all the feed was Marriages except my second bag of feed which was BOCM Paul.  The Marriages was organic (not that I'm a religious advocate of organic feed) though the BOCM growers fed for only 2 weeks at an early age (around 8 weeks) was medicated. They had lots of grass grazing but I generally kept them in until 11am as I noticed they didn't eat the pellets so much once out so I kept them in with pellets and water in the morning.  Once out they also had pellets available adlib but no corn or scraps.  The Stags in particular grew quickly where as the hens weren't unusually large.  The main difference between the Marriages Growers & Finishers is the former was high in protein and the later higher in fibre and lower in fat. So they spent about 4 weeks longer on the high protein Growers than I had intended so maybe that was significant.

The only other thng I did was give them a week of Baytril antibiotics at 6 weeks, when they first went out, as I noticed one was sneezing which I believe I mentioned to you.  Baytril is known to stimulate appetite.  I gave them fresh water each day which had been sanitized with Vanodine V18 to prevent any cross infection and in fact there was none.  The turkey which had the respiratory infection didn't grow as well as the others and was my smallest bird though that would have been partly due to it being slaughtered at 18weeks as a "test" slaughter, so we could hone the technique, before we did the remaining 5 birds the following week.

They were interesting birds to keep being highly inquisitive and became very tame as they were handled everyday and weren't at all aggressive to me or each other.  They seemed to quite like being stroked.  They insisted on roosting on the fence around my oak tree in their run and every evening I picked them off and carried them to their house.  No wonder it was tiring and I could almost feel them gaining weight over the weeks, the stags were becoming quite a handful towards the end.
HF

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #55 on: December 25, 2010, 20:34 »
It depends on the breed Tom, the White Plumpies we get from Kellys are supposed to reach around 10.5 to 11kgs and the bronze ones are the same.  That's the stags.  hens a couple of kilos smaller.  But the hens have better breasts generally I think.

No Terry, dead weight is when they are dead and plucked, but not gutted.

xx
Christmas turkeys

Started by dan808 on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post July 11, 2013, 08:51
by ANHBUC
xx
Anyone grow their own turkeys for Christmas?

Started by sheridal on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post September 20, 2008, 15:05
by Vember
xx
Turkeys that managed to make it through Christmas....advice please.

Started by LivvyW on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 27, 2012, 09:27
by LivvyW
xx
Turkeys

Started by geoffwales on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 26, 2008, 10:13
by geoffwales

Page created in 0.285 seconds with 37 queries.