chicken coop the begining need a few pointers ???

• 9 Replies

craigpix2000

chicken coop the begining need a few pointers ???
« on: December 12, 2010, 17:40 »
I managed to grab 2hrs today to make a strat on building the frame please note i am no handy man far from it i usually hide when our lass wants DIY doing  :D

some of the wood i managed to source for free from work  ;)

the sides x 2 done

the base ive made it raised but will probably be laying it on flags if it isnt high enough

just to see what it looks like

please note on that pic it looks to leen to 1 side it doesnt but the part of lawn i tried it on slopes so it gives the impression its wanky lol

on the 2 shorter sides 1 will be the door with a  window so it will be easy to clean
and the other side will have the nest boxes and a opening into the run or would the nest boxes be ok in the house near the main door atatched to the back  :dry:

The base im either thinking marine ply the bottom or just use the wood ive got to make it a full floor im going to use mdf on the inside walls with some cardboard for insulation the bottom of the base will be chicken wired 

the sides pictured is that going to be 2 much ventelation should i fill some of the gaps or just fine mesh it to stop anything getting in  :dry:

all comments apreciated please note im a novice builder so easy explanations are better lol

daisy1990

Re: chicken coop the begining need a few pointers ???
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 20:14 »
well done for trying- its more than I could do!  How big will it be and have you worked out how many chickens it can take (there are lots of threads on here about working that out, it needs to be big enough (but not too big so the girls can keep warm!)  ventilation is important but avoid draughts.  Most commercially bought have a gap above the nest box with an overhanging roof to keep the box dry.  Cleaning is really important so working out how you will clean it is important I think (you dont want those nasty red mites!)

Good luck with the project- keep posting pics
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

EddieJ

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 21:41 »
I'm liking this project already. :)

I haven't 'yet' built a chicken coop, so can't advise on the dos or don't of that, but using mdf on any form of exterior work is never going to be a wise move. It will absorb any moisture and inevitably blow/expand apart, which will ruin all of your hard work. :(

craigpix2000

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 22:13 »
I'm liking this project already. :)

I haven't 'yet' built a chicken coop, so can't advise on the dos or don't of that, but using mdf on any form of exterior work is never going to be a wise move. It will absorb any moisture and inevitably blow/expand apart, which will ruin all of your hard work. :(

i never thought of that what about marine plyboard ???
well done for trying- its more than I could do!  How big will it be and have you worked out how many chickens it can take (there are lots of threads on here about working that out, it needs to be big enough (but not too big so the girls can keep warm!)  ventilation is important but avoid draughts.  Most commercially bought have a gap above the nest box with an overhanging roof to keep the box dry.  Cleaning is really important so working out how you will clean it is important I think (you dont want those nasty red mites!)

Good luck with the project- keep posting pics

with what i worked out it should hold 4birds happily maybe a couple more if i choose a smaller breed but to be honest i think 4 will be enough to start with lol

what if i fill the gaps with a clear perspex and drill a few holes in it that way should alow ventilation with out risk of drafts and also let some more light in  :unsure:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 12:00 »
I'm just going to pop this over to the chicken section - but will add that chickens are very addictive I started out with 2 and now have 50 (all in the space of 3 - 4 years - had ducks before then).
make your perches removable so that you can treat for red mite, don't use felt - again to prevent red mite hiding under it and each chicken needs about 12" of perch space - 8" for bantams. You need 1 nest box for 3 hens but even if you have 4 nest boxes they will still all want to lay in the same one  ::). The run space really is more important than the coop space.
Staffies are softer than you think.

orchardlady

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 22:45 »
I must agree with Joyful about the run space. Give your birds as much room to roam as you possibly can. You mentioned insulating with cardboard. Will this not get damp just though the hens breath and general moisture in the atmosphere? Make it as easy to clean as possible otherwise your husbandry will slip. Make it so you can access every nook and cranny to spray for red mite. Absolutely do not use felt, red mite love it.

craigpix2000

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 22:38 »
im so angry about this i rung the council last week to see if it would be ok to build a coop and keep a few chickens the jr said (it shouldnt be a problem i will send u a form out to draw on the paper where its going to be and how many chickens and so on)
received a fone call from some 1 higher  up yesterday than that twit telling me there is no way i can have chickens wakefield council will not allow live stock in back gardens i tried explaining they was just going to be pets i was'nt raiseing for meat or to sell the eggs but still a big fat no so then the question was asked why the other bloke said it wouldnt be a problem the answer (hes new)  :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

rant over looks like im gunna after build summat else now live and learn i suppose do u think if i kept a pot bellied pig in the house they would class it as livestock  :D

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 22:47 »
I assume it's a council property. 

I don't think they can prevent you keeping chickens if you are a private tenant or freeholder.

the toolman

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 22:53 »
I am confused, do you live in a council house, if so then they have the right to say no, but if its your own home and your neighbours are ok with it I dont see what it has to do with the council, in your own home you can have a dog, cat, rabbit, ect that can all live outside, so why not chickens???
 The toolman
P.S, I built my own coop and it aint that hard, marine ply floor, roofing battens for frame, old lap fencing panels disassembled and used for the sides and roof. 

craigpix2000

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 23:03 »
its a council house and the neighbours where fine about it but like i said nothing much i can do now live and learn thats all i can do  :(

xx
Chicken coop 8' x 6' £60.00!

Started by Missie on Chicken Chat

8 Replies
Last post June 01, 2010, 14:06
by Lastcast
xx
chicken coop &run

Started by bowler on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post May 04, 2013, 20:21
by splash101
xx
Chicken Coop

Started by Humbledoor on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post June 05, 2010, 23:17
by TeaPots
xx
My chicken coop and run

Started by Andee on Chicken Chat

7 Replies
Last post August 25, 2010, 21:55
by tesni

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 39 queries.