What size shed ?

• 4 Replies

yorkshirerose

What size shed ?
« on: July 27, 2007, 19:26 »
Looking into getting about 10 chickens, looking at Black Star, Bluebelle, Speckled Star, Sussex Star and Amber or White Star. Think 2 of each breed will be nice.
Though that may change if I cant get them from same place - would be easier to get them all from same breeder really and at same time.
Been looking at sheds but there are so many sizes, pent or apex, ship lap, tongue and groove , oh the list goes on.
So please advice is needed as I have my wages in the bank just waiting to be spent on the shed.
I have been waiting for this for weeks now and getting closer to getting my chickens. Yippeeeee.
Please help  :?:
Live every day as your last - enjoy life and smile.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
What size shed ?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 22:29 »
I can't answer your question for you yorkshirerose.  I'm not a wooden shed chicken keeper, but I'm sure someone will be along to advise you soon  :D

PS. I do envy you having 10 hens - bliss  8)

psipower

What size shed ?
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 00:05 »
things I would consider getting a 'shed':

1. Perching space - I suppose 10" per bird, although some of the breeds you are considering are slender. Do you need to allow for the fact that '10 birds' will probably become 15-20 because you like them so much. Also give about 10" to the shed wall.

2. Convenience. Can you fit the perches at eye level. The chickens like it up there, and it is useful/convenient to fit some dropping trays just below. Easy to clean! Remember to allow room for a ladder of somekind - although even our heavy birds flew up (not wing-clipped) when we forgot to put the ladder back :). The chickens will perch lower if that is what you do - you may just get more back ache cleaning!

3. Space/shelter - are you going to keep them shut in for long periods during the day or do you need the shed to provide shelter and keep the food dry during bad weather (the bigger the better), or is there other convenient shelter/feeding stations in the range? How much of the shed inside is going to be taken up with food bins etc.

4. Nest boxes - internal will take up room (say 14" x 4ft) if you can't make some external ones.

5. Draughts - experience so far tells me that it is humans that are worried about these, not chickens. So I see nothing wrong with nice cheap featheredge (about 1/2 price of shiplap for complete sheds, even cheaper DIY). Featheredge will be draftier, shiplap very wind resistant.

6. Apex etc - whatever you like!!!

In the end, the sheds I looked at seemed quite expensive since I was going to modify them so much, so I opted for some DIY with pressure treated softwood...

yorkshirerose

What size shed ?
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 20:54 »
Thanks for that.
All the food and stuff will be stored in our brick shed. Whilst hubby shall put in external nesting boxes onto the new wooden shed.
The chooks shall have a good chunk of the back garden which shall be fenced round specially for them, so they shall be let out first thing in the morning and closed up when they are ready for bed.
The shed will be sited next to an old apple tree so no doubt shall perch up on that - though I think we may have to clip  their wings so they dont wander too far - we have a field next to our garden, then a beautiful lake.
There is a lane at the other side of our house - though the odd idiot tears past occasionally.
I would like a shed with a window - hubby says it will be better without but what do you lot think ?
Personally I think it best to have one but glass or perspex ?
Im going into town tomorrow - looking at sheds (again) but want to be certain about what Im after. Thanks.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
What size shed ?
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2007, 23:02 »
Mine has a window and its left open nearly all the time but has chicken wire behind it to stop foxes etc, I had 3 hens in a 6x4 space and they were always quite happy even if they could not get out with bad weather etc.
Hens need good ventilation they will suffer from lung complaints if it's not adequate, so having a window makes life easy for you, lets light in as well which stimulates egg production.

I keep the food inside and water to. found it was far easier. esp when they get up in the summer at 4 in the morning  :lol:

Don't think it matters whether glass or plastic as long as it's secure in the windy weather.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

question
Size of shed and run to number of chickens

Started by mad mark on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 27, 2009, 16:39
by mad mark
xx
Perch size & Nest box size

Started by geoffwales on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post July 23, 2008, 20:22
by karlooben
xx
Size of run

Started by OLLIE on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post May 08, 2009, 11:02
by celtbhoy
xx
Run size

Started by Bowman on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 05, 2010, 14:20
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.788 seconds with 36 queries.