Sleepers, do or die

• 11 Replies

PerthPam

Sleepers, do or die
« on: December 07, 2010, 19:42 »
Railway sleepers! I have access to loads of them. But can I use them on an allotment?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Sleepers, do or die
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 19:55 »
Lots of people do, but you may be concerned about the preservatives they have been coated with in the past..............unless of course they are new uncoated ones...then lucky you :)

Nige2Plots

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 20:44 »
Lots of people do, but you may be concerned about the preservatives they have been coated with in the past..............unless of course they are new uncoated ones...then lucky you :)
That is very true! The ones in our back garden were fine until warmer weather came along and they oozed black like tar. Like MoS says untreated one's are the best.

viettaclark

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 00:22 »
I researched into this and you'd be surprised at the number of people who use the old sleepers with no bad effects. They also look great, last forever and are wide enough to perch yourself or a cup of tea on! You could always line the inside of the beds if you're worried about tar oozing.
I would've had to pay for mine (v. expensive), delivery and moving them was difficult (v.heavy!) so I ended up using planking.
I really would go for it!!

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 01:14 »
I have a couple of old sleepers that I reclaimed from my neighbour's garden when he was renovating.  I love them and would love to have more!  But they are just too expensive these days as everybody wants them to edge garden beds.

I saw a very attractive layout recently where they were stacked three high to make the edging, but offset like bricks and a gap between each sleeper.  Trailing plants were planted in the gaps.  Hard to explain - I wish I'd taken a photo.

Here's my best representation - where the Xs represent the sleepers and the gaps are planted.

XXXXX     XXXXX     XXXXX

It was a big raised garden bed so used a lot of sleepers.  I don't know if they had been constructed using a long peg of some sort to hold them together, or if they were just stacked.

That's what I would do if I had lots of sleepers!

savbo

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 07:53 »
at our old house I made raised beds from sleeper-sized pieces of oak a local salvage yard were selling for a tenner each delivered. Apparently the french gov subisidised the planking of trees that fell in the big storm...they were a bit hard to cut and drill, but have faded to a lovely grey...

rowlandwells

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 10:14 »
i tend agree with whats been said most ex railway sleepers have been dipped in one presumes a tar or creosote product that in  hot weather runs out i speak from some experience as my dad worked on BR for most of his working life and we used reclaimed sleepers on a lot of jobs  :)

mainly for chicken runs and fences gate post's and so on but never where plants where concerned  i would be very reluctant to use but everyone to there own :dry:

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 13:52 »
I have an extensive (5) set of raised beds constructed from paving slabs (or flags) on edge, held in place by an angle iron band around the top. 

How wide are sleepers and how wide is a paving slab?  I must get a row or two of carrots more per surface area.    Cheers,    Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 14:14 »
I'm in the camp which thinks that people should be better informed so they can take more individual responsibility for their actions and with their health (in other words I am often in mild despair about our current H&S culture, not to mention some of the legislation coming from the EU!)

Even so, it is hard to ignore the fact that in many cases old timber railway sleepers should be officially classed as hazardous waste.

I don't think you need to be an organic grower to decide that you don't want such material near your crops, although if I needed them and were given some I'd probably find it hard to resist using them after perhaps lining them with pond liner.  :unsure:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 15:48 »

Narrower and higher than sleepers.   ;) Cheers,   Tony.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2010, 15:52 »
I researched into this and you'd be surprised at the number of people who use the old sleepers with no bad effects.

It would of course take many years for the bad effects to show.

The tar/creosote treatment that usesd is a strong carcinogen - that doesn't matter when it's under a train but under your bottom or beside your veg is a different matter.  It is forbidden to use them in public gardens anymore.

Good article JayG !
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 15:54 by Aunt Sally »

rowlandwells

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2010, 13:37 »
a good piece of information auntie i didn't know that  :)

xx
Old sleepers

Started by Sprouts on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post March 09, 2013, 00:31
by green jack
xx
Railway sleepers

Started by Pennywise on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 16, 2019, 19:50
by Didiaskew
xx
Using railway sleepers as raised beds

Started by Sandrav on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post November 03, 2009, 23:44
by cooperman

Page created in 0.51 seconds with 37 queries.