Evergreen windbreak ideas??

• 13 Replies

Totty

Evergreen windbreak ideas??
« on: December 06, 2010, 20:57 »
Hi all,

In the next few weeks i will be constructing a larger chicken run at the allotment using the large fencing panels you see surrounding building sites.

I would like to grow something that climbs and covers really well, at least 6ft, to firstly act as a windbreak to stop the cold north easterlys battering the chickens, and secondly to hide the metal fence panels.

Any evergreen, nice flowering ideas?

Totty :happy:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Evergreen windbreak ideas??
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 21:02 »
Clematis is always a good start - there are evergreen varieties (though many are very rampant, be warned!)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

noshed

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 21:20 »
A bit of ivy would do well and them some rambling roses - not evergreen but with ivy you could get away with it.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 21:41 »
We've got an evergreen honeysuckle which grows very bushy quite quickly!

andy135

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 22:57 »
Some species of bamboo are hardy down to -20C and are evergreen. You also get the benfit of free canes for your plot.

Paul Plots

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 23:43 »
Some species of bamboo are hardy down to -20C and are evergreen. You also get the benfit of free canes for your plot.

That's a nice idea - like the thought of free canes!  ;) As long as the bamboo is not one of those "gets away from you" types that spreads.  ???

How about the pliable pyracantha? If you want something tough to withstand wind and cold, something strong and impenetrable to keep "things" out and something that can easily be trained it’s worth considering.

It will need the occasional trim after flowering, will provide loads of berries for the birds if you prune at the right time, looks attractive in flower and berry as well as coming in a number of different shades… reds, yellows and oranges.

As a hedge it is as good as barbed wire!! It can also be kept quite narrow so shouldn't waste space.  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

andy135

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 23:52 »

That's a nice idea - like the thought of free canes!  ;) As long as the bamboo is not one of those "gets away from you" types that spreads.  ???

I've just got an excellent book out of my library and it seems that a lot of people think that bamboo is invasive whereas it tend to grow more like rhubard and you need to split the clump every now and again. It all comes down to the species but I am planning a screen of bamboo for next year.

Totty

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 20:44 »
Ok thanks again!

Having looked into it a little, i think the ivy and rambling rose idea is excellent, i think the ivy will give a solid wall of green in all weather and the roses can ramble and look/smell nice all over the place! Next question then, Which Ivy and roses are suggested? bearing in ming the main purpose is to halt the bitter winds that are hitting them now! Quick growing is a massive benefit!!!

Totty

fatcat1955

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 20:43 »
If you are using the blocks that come with these panels to hold them up, DO NOT grow anything on the panels, they will blow over in a strong wind.

Paul Plots

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 16:49 »
If you are using the blocks that come with these panels to hold them up, DO NOT grow anything on the panels, they will blow over in a strong wind.

They certainly will....  :ohmy:

We had miles of them around our school. When the wind picked up three blew over despite extra concrete blocks placed on top of the block bases.

Perhaps yours are the heavy mesh-weld type so wind will pass through them?

(Awfully expensive things to buy!)

Goosegirl

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2010, 17:02 »
Pyracantha is a great idea, also you could use Cotoneaster horizontalis - whilst not evergreen, will climb upwards with support and their berries are fantastic in winter. Other ideas are Euonymus which if in a flat place, will grow outwards, but it will "climb" against a fence and is evergreen - you can have green and gold or green and silver variagated varieties.  Another thing that is good with wind is the evergreen Escallonia - you can trim it back as far as you want and it will re-shoot and flower in summer.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Paul Plots

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2010, 17:25 »
Pyracantha is a great idea, also you could use Cotoneaster horizontalis - whilst not evergreen, will climb upwards with support and their berries are fantastic in winter. Other ideas are Euonymus which if in a flat place, will grow outwards, but it will "climb" against a fence and is evergreen - you can have green and gold or green and silver variagated varieties.  Another thing that is good with wind is the evergreen Escallonia - you can trim it back as far as you want and it will re-shoot and flower in summer.

The other good thing about pyracantha is that it will support itself and, given the chance, grow through the fencing and hold that in place too.

You can chop it back and it regrows happily.

Totty

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2010, 16:30 »
Hi,

The panels are the heavy mesh weld type, and i will be using the blocks that come with them. These will be sunk into the ground though and the bottom of the panels will be pegged into the ground with extra heavy duty, extra long pegs. I may even go as far as to inset some long pieces of reinforce metal into each corner in order to add extra stability.

Just the plants to grow thats the quandry!

Totty

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2010, 18:15 »
I use euonymous in various variegated colours as a low hedge in my front garden, but where they hide against the privet hedge proper they are only too willing to shoot upwards though it. Not a particular fan of evergreen shrubs in general but I must say these are exceptionally hardy, undemanding, versatile and attractive plants.

I think they could do a good job for you; they don't grow so quickly as to be a nuisance and are easily clipped with shears.  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
evergreen clematis

Started by andyf75 on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post October 12, 2015, 10:27
by andyf75
xx
Evergreen Hedge

Started by lifeflower on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post March 03, 2015, 15:33
by Oddpod
xx
flowering evergreen hedging

Started by ally on General Gardening

14 Replies
Last post April 28, 2015, 13:39
by ally
xx
evergreen shrubs and climbers

Started by trogg on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post April 17, 2014, 09:57
by Lardman

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 31 queries.