What next with onions?

• 1 Replies

jackiestagg

• Experienced Member
What next with onions?
« on: July 27, 2007, 18:09 »
I grew them for the first time this year because I got a packet of seeds free. Now I notice the tops are starting to bend over and go yellow, I seem to remember you don't just pull them up, what do I do now, I want to store them. Also, please recommend your favourite seed variety for an eyewatering cooking onion that doesn't grow too big and also a sweet spanish variety that I can grow next year. Also, are spanish onions grown exactly the same way? Thanking you in advance all you onion experts

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
What next with onions?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 20:27 »
Usually you just lift them and let them lay in the sun shine  :lol: for a while.

They need to dry out a little I lift mine and lay them on wire mesh and wait for the stems to whither and dry. Then I plait them together and hang to store. Like I say usually in the sun but at the mo on newspaper in the utility room.

I quite like rjinsbuger ( not sure of spelling) grown in modules of 4 seeds then each module transplanted 6" apart. They usually end up a bit bigger than golf balls. Which is just right for a few cheese and onion sarnies.

I don't thin just let all 4 grow and they push each other apart.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Page created in 0.45 seconds with 36 queries.