Egg mystery 2 for 1!

• 3 Replies

thebumbles

Egg mystery 2 for 1!
« on: December 03, 2010, 20:43 »
Hi
Its been a little while since I needed some advice/suggestions.   I have a very weird situation today.  Went to let the girls out this morning ( I have 10).  They are not keen on this weather so took their time to get up.  Anyway Lady ga ga ( she is a lavender aracauna) was sitting on the floor house, thought she was laying so popped her in the nest box.  Two hours later she was back on the floor seemed unable to walk! Picked her up and examined, then noticed a broken egg stuck to her rear end feathers, took it away, and, this is the weird bit, there was another egg with it. Looks as if she has layed 2 eggs together.  She still wouldnt walk, but I got her have a huge drink of water and perked up a bit, she is not herself though, mobility not brilliant. Could she have been too cold to pass the first egg yesterday, and the other one backed up behind it? Sorry its a long query.  Any ideas anyone?

TeaPots

Re: Egg mystery 2 for 1!
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 21:00 »
I think she did indeed have a back-up problem. The trouble is, they may still be an egg thats in progress if she is not better yet.  Laying a problem egg, eg a softie, really takes it out of a hen, so extra TLC needed.  If it wasnt so cold, I would recommend immersing her undercarriage  in warm water, to sooth and encourage any remaining egg, but its just too cold.

thebumbles

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 21:13 »
Thanks for that.  She has been laying well for about 6 weeks, so its strange, the only difference is the cold weather. Do you think I should bring her inside at night?  Is there anything extra I can give her to eat to help her.  She has warm mash and hanging greens in the morning, and mixed corn and treats like tomatoes, apples, rice or pasta whatever  is going.  They all free range too.
We are worriers, but we love our chooks.

TeaPots

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 19:52 »
I know what you mean, they become part of the family dont they?  Unless she is an only hen with no-one to cuddle up to at night, leave her outside. I think they they get hot and confused bringing them in and out. Their feathers keep them warm as toast  :happy:

xx
Mystery

Started by FarmerJane on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 23, 2012, 17:07
by Mrs Bee
xx
Its a mystery!

Started by PaulineM on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 18, 2011, 17:05
by louiseb22
xx
mystery

Started by yacks on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 14, 2013, 10:30
by joyfull
xx
Mystery egg

Started by Pretty Chick on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 14, 2010, 07:23
by joyfull

Page created in 0.289 seconds with 36 queries.