Feeding Maggots and Casters

• 20 Replies

peter rooster

Feeding Maggots and Casters
« on: December 01, 2010, 17:32 »
Hi

As a fisher person  I often have a few maggots and casters spare can I feed to the girls?. I have throw a few in when the chicks were young and they went mad for them. I have also turned over logs for wood louce. I know people feed meal worms.

peter rooster
Is there any sound better than contented chickens rosey away, far better tha whale song!

dennis

• Experienced Member
Re: Feeding Maggots and Casters
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 17:55 »
maggots are fine for your girls its something they would normally find in the wild
how many hens do you have
i go fishing too but i go sea fishing

peter rooster

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 18:29 »
Hi

I only have three girls left mum and two of her offspring the other six started to crow so had to go >:(. Got another three marans coming soon.

I do all fishing sea :lol:, course :tongue2: and game :dry:, along with shooting. Got two boats a 25 ft cabin cruiser and a 16 ft bass boat. Like to fish for bass and dabs.

jinty1911

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 19:06 »
I caught a lovely 16" bass from the shore last year (must admit was by accident).  Big size for around here and haven't caught anything since but then am more interested in my chicks now than standing in the snow and ice getting perished. 
Jinty

dennis

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 19:15 »
chucks and fishing aren't we lucky :) :)

8doubles

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 19:17 »
I do not feed maggots or casters to my hens because the maggots are probably reared on poultry offal of dubious quality. I am probably being over cautious as many years of fishing with maggot have never done me any harm but we do have members of the family who would not deal with salmonella very well.
Mealworm being cereal fed are not as much of a risk.

The hens do like an occasional bit of fish raw or cooked.

dennis

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 19:38 »
it depends on the maggot farm a lot of farms feed them on fish bits i breed my own maggots for the fish in my pond and they are reared on fish

jinty1911

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 19:48 »
chucks and fishing aren't we lucky :) :)

My hubby thinks so.  I even love football and can understand the offside rule  :tongue2:
Jinty

8doubles

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 20:05 »
I think that the small feeder maggot are raised on fish and the larger ones on poultry waste.
The old rule with fish keeping was to feed marine fish on freshwater fish and visa-versa so disease is not transferred , and i doubt that you eat the eggs from your pond fish so food poisoning is unlikely :)

peter rooster

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 21:04 »
Hi jinty1911

The 16 ft bass boat I like to take to Luce Bay just below you, I have fished that rouns Stranear for last 40 years. Had holiday this year up Luce bay but no boat bass had not arived and pollack fishing poor.  Also fished north of you a lot on the Clyde and the Lochs round there.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 21:10 by peter rooster »

8doubles

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 22:05 »
Loads of space in the bass boat, what do you use for bass bait up your way worm and crab or live sandeel.

They had whole 2lb pollack in the local market last week for £4 a throw, Whiting £2 a fillet, a 1lb farmed bass a £5er each.
Glad i don,t buy it. :)

peter rooster

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 01:01 »
Hi

I catch nearly all my bass on plugs these days in Scotland. I am just completing a total rebuild of big boat and want to try more bass fishing from england. I have abandoned long range wreck fishing for shallow light tackle close in fishing. When the boat was at whitby most fishing between 4 and 10 metre still cod to 15 lb on spinning rods. 8). Just moved the boat south a bit so will try for bass on bait next summer. I do not buy fish number 2 son works for the enemy (on a trawler! :() I have never eaten as much crab and lobster :blush:

chickadee

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, 08:53 »
i too am a fellow angler/fisherwoman i fish for barbel on the midland rivers with my OH began fishing  :happy: as a child with my dad who loved jellied eels... i do give my girls maggots and they love them and i believe they are good for impacted crop as they dislodge the matter trapped... bit cold for the river bank at the moment for me though i have fished in some extreme weathers all in the name of fishing
chickens out

8doubles

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2010, 09:14 »
When your maggots go crunchy in the baitbox it`s an indicator you should not be on the riverbank freezing your bits off for a 4oz grayling. :)

grumpydad

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2010, 09:17 »
with regard to the maggots, i was told by my vet that an occasional maggot may be ok but that maggots are usually bred on meat and offal and could harbour disease and should be avoided, mealworms are raised on vegetable matter and are fine to feed to chucks as treats.

fishing, used to have a week sailing from plymouth to the channel islands and penzance to the isles of scilly, mainly go trout fishing now though

xx
maggots

Started by barley on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 31, 2013, 18:14
by agapanthus
xx
Maggots

Started by massa on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 07, 2010, 21:36
by massa
xx
Maggots

Started by slowef on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 31, 2007, 12:23
by slowef
xx
maggots

Started by treecol on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 14, 2015, 18:04
by RubyR3d

Page created in 0.292 seconds with 36 queries.