warming meal

• 18 Replies

the toolman

warming meal
« on: November 30, 2010, 23:05 »
Hi I am new here, we got our 6 hens in june of this year, and so far we are playing it by ear and advise I have read on here, and thank you for all your advise so far.
A tipical day for our girls is, porridge made with water in a morning, mid morning a tumbler of mixed corn, late afternoon 3-30pm to 4pm a treats dish, jam butty (home made wholemeal bread one slice, 6 to 8 grapes cut into quarters, corn on the cob 3 pieces, and a matchbox size of cheese grated in on top. Is this to much as there is always layers pellets available to them as well.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 19:15 by the toolman »

wolverine

• Experienced Member
Re: warming meal
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 05:04 »
wow that sounds like way too many treats and they won't eat the layers if they know they don't have to dont you ever get soft egg shells? . Cheese is a no no so is jam really watch out for to much sugar or salt or fat. I just warm them up layers pellets in the morning and they don't get treats till the afternoon this way they will have filled up on pellets and got the good stuff in. then they get greens brocoli spinach peas etc and mixed corn before bed ( if I'm back in time) don't give them bread as this can cause problems in the crop. Grapes and corn on the cob is fine but lay off the cheese. on saying that I would happily come round for treats dish your hens eat better than I do!!!!  :tongue2:
try and give them healthy treats like cabbage or brocolli or a bowl of pease they will like them just as much and dark green veg is good for them ( helps calcium obsorbtion) and makes nice orange yolks .  
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 05:09 by wolverine »
"It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it."

wolverine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 05:06 »
And now if you find you have to many jam butties just send them my way  ;)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 07:05 »
I agree with wolverine - way too much in the way of treats. Mine get warm water porridge whilst it is snowy or warm layers pellets (soaked in hot water) and just layers until mid afternoon (luckily my boss lets me leave at 3 to come home and see to them) and then they get mixed corn.
Staffies are softer than you think.

cejx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 14:12 »
Mine must be hard done by - and get little in the way of treats!  I've 6 ex bats, I've tried hanging up greens, giving them corn, giving them overpriced chicken treats, and all they're interested in in ex bat crumb!  However, Meal Worms!  That seems to be the way forward! 

Making up a warm mash for them in the morning - is it as simple as ex bat pellets mixed with warm water?
**ginger•henna•margo•matilda•hattie••5 ex-bats & betty the rescued bluebelle**

audi

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 14:27 »
Mine have layers pellets with hot water on in the morning (it has cooled enough by the time it reaches the run)  they have pellets down all the time but this made into a warm mash they go mad over, in the afternoon they have some corn, broccoli and peas the veg being warm they love it.  My four girls are laying well  get 4 eggs most days.

cejx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 15:11 »
I'll try the pellet recipe in the morning.  I've a bullied little featherless ex bat hen who is quite stressed, so hopefully some of this will help build her strength and feathers.  Thanks.

Spana

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 15:21 »
I cook up the potato peelings from the previous evening and mix pellets into the hot cooking water.  Stir it all up and give it to them hot.  They love it and i love the smell :lol:

the toolman

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 18:43 »
Hi, and thank u, I was wondering if I was spoiling them but with the weather as it is BRRRRRRR I am just trying to do my best for them. Maybe a tad to much tho, I will take your advise onboard and make changes over the next few days, and put them back onto layers and corn with a very small amount of treats.
Thanks to everyone, but I surpose we all have to start learning somewhere, and where better than from those whose been there done that got the hat.  
Regards
 the toolman
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 19:16 by the toolman »

dennis

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 19:24 »
i agree with the rest of them far tomany treate i don't think jam butties and cheese are any good for your hens  :(
mine get hot mash in the late morning and corn and pellets are available for them allday for a treate thay get meal worms in the afternoon i've just started to put chicken spice in the mash as well 

jinty1911

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 19:36 »
I gave mine a king prawn each today and they went daft running round the garden incase someone took it off them.  Yes, very expensive treat and it wont happen very often but was worth it just for the reaction.  :lol:  :lol:
Jinty

the toolman

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 22:46 »
Hi wolverine, sorry no more jam butties, bad for hens, bad for wolves lol, the girls will become manic depressives , NO treats dish, I could have a revolt on my hands, or 6 chickens that could turn ferrel, lol. Ok, here is another thing that I worry about, I no that chickens can withstand some cold weather, but to what degree, mine are in a 8x6 cabin with a coop built in the far corner which is 4x3x3 which has been lined inside with tin foil on all the walls and then doubled up carpet underlay (dute type) over the tin foil and then held in place with thick cardboard around the walls of the coop this is only done inside the coop area, came with the cabin. will it be warm enough for them as I keep reading that people are looking for some kind of heating for there cabins in this really cold snap we are having.
Regards
 the toolman.

wolverine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, 03:33 »
I will no doubt help with insulation but will harbour red mite. I would get rid of it a red mite infestation can be horrible I got me down last summer I ended up with a new coop. There is a thermal image of a chickenon here somewhere showing how good chooks are at keeping warm. 

cejx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2010, 09:37 »
OK, gave mine their first warming meal this morning - they looked at me as if I was mad and continued on their ex bat crumb!

orchardlady

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2010, 13:28 »

xx
warming the cockerels of your heart

Started by poultrygeist on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 04, 2008, 18:06
by Foxy
xx
meal worms

Started by peggygate on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 26, 2010, 13:21
by Celtic Eagle
xx
meal worms

Started by jony worrall on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 10, 2011, 21:56
by xhappychickx
xx
Meal Worms

Started by thechicken on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 02, 2012, 13:31
by joyfull

Page created in 0.344 seconds with 38 queries.